ER Waiting Rooms

M

Mommafirst

Our ER can't always get us right in to a patient exam room, but they ALWAYS have a seperate triage room where we can stay so we don't have to sit in the waiting room. It sounds like you did everything right and they messed up. Keep advocating like this, it may have to be every time, but don't give up, your daughter's health is too important.

azdesertrat

I feel fortunate, whenever I've been forced to go to the ER (I only go when the DR DEMANDS I show) I've always been isolated quickly; there always seems to be a room available. I guess my DR's are just very insistant.
I hope your daughter doesn't have to go through this again.
Stay on their a$$es, there is no excuse, especially if your DR has called ahead.

azdesertrat

I feel fortunate, whenever I've been forced to go to the ER (I only go when the DR DEMANDS I show) I've always been isolated quickly; there always seems to be a room available. I guess my DR's are just very insistant.
Stay on their a$$es, there is no excuse, especially if your DR has called ahead.

azdesertrat

ymikhale

I have never been to the ER with my dd (touch wood), but whenever i have ANY kind of doctor's appontment, I always bring the FFP2 mask with me, you never know whom you might run into in the waiting room!

ymikhale

I have never been to the ER with my dd (touch wood), but whenever i have ANY kind of doctor's appontment, I always bring the FFP2 mask with me, you never know whom you might run into in the waiting room!

ymikhale

BarbaraW

Our ER brings us to a room right away. We may have to wait for a while in a room, but we never stay in the waiting room. Even when DD broke her arm, we were moved back right away. Our hospital gave us a blue card for each child, and if we hand them the blue card anywhere - ER, blood, x-ray, we get moved.

BarbaraW

Our ER brings us to a room right away. We may have to wait for a while in a room, but we never stay in the waiting room. Even when DD broke her arm, we were moved back right away. Our hospital gave us a blue card for each child, and if we hand them the blue card anywhere - ER, blood, x-ray, we get moved.

BarbaraW

imported_Momto2

Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy. Dont know how the ER's in your area are, but around here they are understaffed and usually very very busy. Yes, having CF is a serious medical problem, but to the ER, a sucking chest wound or an open fracture is a little more immediate. I would cut them some slack and do the best you can on your end to make things safer for your family.

imported_Momto2

Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy. Dont know how the ER's in your area are, but around here they are understaffed and usually very very busy. Yes, having CF is a serious medical problem, but to the ER, a sucking chest wound or an open fracture is a little more immediate. I would cut them some slack and do the best you can on your end to make things safer for your family.

imported_Momto2

JennifersHope

I have to say a few things, one I was an ER nurse for several years, for a few of those years I specifically worked in a Pediatric ER/Trauma center. CF is one of many horrible diseases children are affected with, You were there for an after hour x ray, nothing more. There are children who could have been in dire need of care. An ER is just that, for emergency's. Unless your child is in distress, and or they are not busy you are going to wait.

I do think that you can do things to protect your own child such as put a mask and gloves on them. you could request to go to a separate area if one is available.

I know you are new to ER's, hopefully you can avoid them for a long time. I will tell you as a patient who has been to the ER, when I am sick, I go right back, no questions. I am well taken care of. You just have to remember it is your job to protect your child. The hospital can only do so much.

I had to stop working in the ER because I caught everything under the sun there, it is a very germy place and it is almost impossible to control the environment. Sick people everywhere.

I don't think it was wise of your doctor to send you to the ER just for an x ray , unless your child was really ill.

I am sorry for your bad experience, There just is not a place that is totally germ free and safe in an ER, buy some masks and gloves, have your child wait in the car in between being triaged and being treated etc.

JennifersHope

I have to say a few things, one I was an ER nurse for several years, for a few of those years I specifically worked in a Pediatric ER/Trauma center. CF is one of many horrible diseases children are affected with, You were there for an after hour x ray, nothing more. There are children who could have been in dire need of care. An ER is just that, for emergency's. Unless your child is in distress, and or they are not busy you are going to wait.

I do think that you can do things to protect your own child such as put a mask and gloves on them. you could request to go to a separate area if one is available.

I know you are new to ER's, hopefully you can avoid them for a long time. I will tell you as a patient who has been to the ER, when I am sick, I go right back, no questions. I am well taken care of. You just have to remember it is your job to protect your child. The hospital can only do so much.

I had to stop working in the ER because I caught everything under the sun there, it is a very germy place and it is almost impossible to control the environment. Sick people everywhere.

I don't think it was wise of your doctor to send you to the ER just for an x ray , unless your child was really ill.

I am sorry for your bad experience, There just is not a place that is totally germ free and safe in an ER, buy some masks and gloves, have your child wait in the car in between being triaged and being treated etc.

JennifersHope

concernedmom

Thankfully, we've only had to use the ER a handful of times. All but one of those times the child was in distress (either respiratory distress or anaphylactic shock) and taken back immediately. The only time we stayed in the waiting room was when they suspected meningitis. DS did not have it.

For future, I'd suggest having one of you wait in the ER with a cell phone and the other wait in the car with the child and call as soon as your child's name is called. It's not ideal but it's better than sitting in a germ infested ER. And, I agree, way too many people use the ER for non-emergency situations like

concernedmom

Thankfully, we've only had to use the ER a handful of times. All but one of those times the child was in distress (either respiratory distress or anaphylactic shock) and taken back immediately. The only time we stayed in the waiting room was when they suspected meningitis. DS did not have it.

For future, I'd suggest having one of you wait in the ER with a cell phone and the other wait in the car with the child and call as soon as your child's name is called. It's not ideal but it's better than sitting in a germ infested ER. And, I agree, way too many people use the ER for non-emergency situations like

concernedmom

Printer

Federal law (since about 1970) requires that people who can't afford health care can get "emergency care" free of charge.

Thus, crowed emergency rooms.

Bill