ER Waiting Rooms

BabyBeauty

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>BikerEd</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Momto2</b></i> Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy.

</end quote>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font color="#000000" size="3" face="Calibri">Oh HEAR HEAR! I wish more parents would teach their kids how to live in a Non-CF world rather than stomp their feet anytime the world does not stop for their DD/DS w/cf. Someday they (the CFer) will find themselves in a position where the world does not revolve around CF and they will have to manage themselves in that world or isolate themselves from it.</font><font color="#000000" size="3" face="Calibri"></font>
</end quote>

I look forward to the day that CF is not an issue. I pray for it each day. I fundraise my butt off for it. In the meantime, it is MY JOB as a parent to protect my daughter. If that means I ask for an isolated room. Then yes I will ask for it. I will demand it. That is my JOB. My only argument in this thread has been that my daughter should not wait in the general waiting room. Some hospitals have rooms set aside for immune compromised patients. It should be a standard of care in ER's. Should my daughter BE SEEN before an open chest wound or difficulty breathing...NO. But the hospitals should do their best to make sure immune compromised patients stay safe. We had to go to an ER in another city and had a fantastic experience. We were put in a safe room right away and yes we waiting along time to be seen, but we felt safe. No other patients were coughing on our daughter. All hospitals should strive to be better. I called the patient advocacy line and talked with a wonderful lady. She used to work in the ER at that same hospital. She said our case was handled innappropriately. She said there should be a set SOP when an immune compromised patient walks into the ER. They were going to have a meeting about my case and work on making it better. No hospital is perfect, but if they can make improvements to make sure our kids are safe, then we need to voice our opinion.

D

drdanika

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Tammy15</b></i>

I think it may depend on hospital itself . When my daughter was very young she had severe stomach pain so as cf center was about 2hrs away they had us go to local ER for x-ray I knew we would probably wait but I was checking in heard the ER nurse talking to our doctor I could tell cause she said my daughtersname and the CF doctors name I signed in and said Oh I think you spoke to our CF doctor she looked right at me and said no. After a while they take us back room down thehall was a prison mental patient throwing furniture I was going to leave when a doctor comes in says oh yes need xray CF very bad. So they take her for an xray in mean time they wheel a poor woman into the same room kidney issues they give her a shot dont write it down shes incoherent and nurses change shifts 15 mins later they were going to giver her another my mom and I stopped them . At that point my daughter comes back doctor shows back up says ok. We leave my CF doctor calls for the results they tell him oh yes she is very bad they are admitting her . He almost stroked told them no thye had to transport her then the nurse goes your talking about the mentally retarded girl right. Took my daughter next day to cf clinic he wanted to know what kind of hospital was near us . Now whenever we went to CF center hospital they always took her back right away to a isolated room.

Tammy
</end quote>

Tammy. You just made my day. I work at the county hospital which also happens to be the only level one trauma center in the 4 state region. This means that our patients are a mix of homeless, alcoholics,wierd infectious diseases from mad cow to tb, and patients who suffer from the most severe traumas and burns. I think you must have been in your county hospital as well, on account of the prison inmate.Would I bring my CF child there? Only if she had a arm or a leg that was about to fall off.But, I know that after the most horrific car accidents, shootings, etc anyone would have a better chance of making it, if they went there. I am lucky to live in a city where there are multiple hospitals to choose from, and I've worked at a couple, so I know what their reputations are. My daughter was just recently diagnosed, but in the process, we went through the childrens hospital er 3 or 4 times. My doctor called ahead and warned of the respiratory symptoms she was having, and they took us directly back. I really don't think I will ever take her to another er. like I said, as long as I have the luxury of choice. Our CF clinic is actually located there, and the CF docs all do rotations with the pulmonary service in the hospital. That means that wile we were admitted, we had 3 of the 4 CF docs overseeing her care, a different one each week. We had the luxury of choosing our clinic doc based off that. I guess that's the plus to finding out late. side note * apparently, she is the first child in this state with CF that was tested with newborn screening, and had a false negative...anyways, I would encourage everyone to take a good look at the hospitals in there area, and have one in mind in case something unexpected comes up. Look at nosocomial infection rates. Also look at what the hospital's specialty is.What ever you do, avoid the county hospital unless you or your loved one is bleeding profusely... -C

D

drdanika

I think it may depend on hospital itself . When my daughter was very young she had severe stomach pain so as cf center was about 2hrs away they had us go to local ER for x-ray I knew we would probably wait but I was checking in heard the ER nurse talking to our doctor I could tell cause she said my daughtersname and the CF doctors name I signed in and said Oh I think you spoke to our CF doctor she looked right at me and said no. After a while they take us back room down thehall was a prison mental patient throwing furniture I was going to leave when a doctor comes in says oh yes need xray CF very bad. So they take her for an xray in mean time they wheel a poor woman into the same room kidney issues they give her a shot dont write it down shes incoherent and nurses change shifts 15 mins later they were going to giver her another my mom and I stopped them . At that point my daughter comes back doctor shows back up says ok. We leave my CF doctor calls for the results they tell him oh yes she is very bad they are admitting her . He almost stroked told them no thye had to transport her then the nurse goes your talking about the mentally retarded girl right. Took my daughter next day to cf clinic he wanted to know what kind of hospital was near us . Now whenever we went to CF center hospital they always took her back right away to a isolated room.

Tammy
</end quote>

Tammy. You just made my day. I work at the county hospital which also happens to be the only level one trauma center in the 4 state region. This means that our patients are a mix of homeless, alcoholics,wierd infectious diseases from mad cow to tb, and patients who suffer from the most severe traumas and burns. I think you must have been in your county hospital as well, on account of the prison inmate.Would I bring my CF child there? Only if she had a arm or a leg that was about to fall off.But, I know that after the most horrific car accidents, shootings, etc anyone would have a better chance of making it, if they went there. I am lucky to live in a city where there are multiple hospitals to choose from, and I've worked at a couple, so I know what their reputations are. My daughter was just recently diagnosed, but in the process, we went through the childrens hospital er 3 or 4 times. My doctor called ahead and warned of the respiratory symptoms she was having, and they took us directly back. I really don't think I will ever take her to another er. like I said, as long as I have the luxury of choice. Our CF clinic is actually located there, and the CF docs all do rotations with the pulmonary service in the hospital. That means that wile we were admitted, we had 3 of the 4 CF docs overseeing her care, a different one each week. We had the luxury of choosing our clinic doc based off that. I guess that's the plus to finding out late. side note * apparently, she is the first child in this state with CF that was tested with newborn screening, and had a false negative...anyways, I would encourage everyone to take a good look at the hospitals in there area, and have one in mind in case something unexpected comes up. Look at nosocomial infection rates. Also look at what the hospital's specialty is.What ever you do, avoid the county hospital unless you or your loved one is bleeding profusely... -C

D

drdanika

Tammy
</end quote>