Exercise and Eating??

kayers3

I was wondering what everyone does for exercise? I am having trouble finding something that works well for me without being too draining. I tried light jogging and swimming, double fail. Cardio like that is too intense for my lungs. After 10 minutes, if that, I'm coughing up blood because capillaries start bursting. Also, I found that afterwards I needed at least an hour nap just to stay awake the rest of the day.

I could walk on the treadmill, and I might have to start that, but I was trying to find something that I was at least partially entertained by so it doesn't seem like yet another chore to do in regards to CF. I'd prefer walking around outside, but where I live is rather hilly, so unless I actually drive out to a park somewhere that isn't too feasible.

Another question. Anyone have any advice for keeping food down despite coughing? I'm pretty much throwing up between 1-3 times a week when I'm "healthy" and at least everyday when I'm sick because I'm coughing so hard. I asked the doctor about it, but she said she doesn't know of anything that can help that. I don't eat big meals, otherwise food comes up easier, which means I'm snacking all the time to try and get enough calories. It's kinda sad that eating has become an annoyance.

kayers3

I was wondering what everyone does for exercise? I am having trouble finding something that works well for me without being too draining. I tried light jogging and swimming, double fail. Cardio like that is too intense for my lungs. After 10 minutes, if that, I'm coughing up blood because capillaries start bursting. Also, I found that afterwards I needed at least an hour nap just to stay awake the rest of the day.

I could walk on the treadmill, and I might have to start that, but I was trying to find something that I was at least partially entertained by so it doesn't seem like yet another chore to do in regards to CF. I'd prefer walking around outside, but where I live is rather hilly, so unless I actually drive out to a park somewhere that isn't too feasible.

Another question. Anyone have any advice for keeping food down despite coughing? I'm pretty much throwing up between 1-3 times a week when I'm "healthy" and at least everyday when I'm sick because I'm coughing so hard. I asked the doctor about it, but she said she doesn't know of anything that can help that. I don't eat big meals, otherwise food comes up easier, which means I'm snacking all the time to try and get enough calories. It's kinda sad that eating has become an annoyance.

kayers3

kayers3

kayers3

<br />
<br />I could walk on the treadmill, and I might have to start that, but I was trying to find something that I was at least partially entertained by so it doesn't seem like yet another chore to do in regards to CF. I'd prefer walking around outside, but where I live is rather hilly, so unless I actually drive out to a park somewhere that isn't too feasible.
<br />
<br />
<br />Another question. Anyone have any advice for keeping food down despite coughing? I'm pretty much throwing up between 1-3 times a week when I'm "healthy" and at least everyday when I'm sick because I'm coughing so hard. I asked the doctor about it, but she said she doesn't know of anything that can help that. I don't eat big meals, otherwise food comes up easier, which means I'm snacking all the time to try and get enough calories. It's kinda sad that eating has become an annoyance.

B

bethylove

I just recently joined the YMCA and I take a couple of classes a week. I like zumba, hip-hop aerobics, and I do enjoy kickboxing -- now that said, I have never been able to keep the pace of the instructor, but I do what I can, and I still have fun.

Before that I was using the wii fit. I actually really like using the wii because you can put in as much effort or as little effort as need be -- plus you can do it in the privacy of your own home and no one is death staring you when you start hacking away. I was very skeptical of the wii fit actually being beneficial because it's a 'game' but if you utilize the strength and yoga components then it's actually a great workout.

Another unconventional form of exercise I do is called Pole Fitness, where basically you pole dance. It's really really fun and it such a workout. I've had to build up muscle strength over time because when I first started I was so weak. But in a few weeks I could tell I was stronger, and feeling better.

I just thought of another form of exercise - I volunteer at the local animal shelter and take the dogs for walks. I enjoy this so much I almost forgot to count this as exercise. =) It's nice because the dogs have been in a cage for so long, they don't mind how fast or how long you can walk, they're just happy for company and to be outside.

As far as the keeping food down, I hear you on that one. Whenever I'm sick it's a guarantee that breakfast will be flushed down the toilet. So what I had been doing was eating something small, like a yogurt, waiting for my morning coughing fit -- throw up, feel better (usually my coughing slows down after I throw up I'm not sure if that has anything to do with being psychological or what) and then eat a regular breakfast and usually that was able to stay down. I also look up a lot too when coughing really hard I just tilt my head way back, seems to keep me from gagging as much. But as far as a medication goes, I'm clueless because it's not like we're nauseous its just we're coughing so hard. =\

haha sorry this was so long! But good luck with finding some sort of 'fun' exercise. I hope if you find something you like to do you'll update us!

B

bethylove

I just recently joined the YMCA and I take a couple of classes a week. I like zumba, hip-hop aerobics, and I do enjoy kickboxing -- now that said, I have never been able to keep the pace of the instructor, but I do what I can, and I still have fun.

Before that I was using the wii fit. I actually really like using the wii because you can put in as much effort or as little effort as need be -- plus you can do it in the privacy of your own home and no one is death staring you when you start hacking away. I was very skeptical of the wii fit actually being beneficial because it's a 'game' but if you utilize the strength and yoga components then it's actually a great workout.

Another unconventional form of exercise I do is called Pole Fitness, where basically you pole dance. It's really really fun and it such a workout. I've had to build up muscle strength over time because when I first started I was so weak. But in a few weeks I could tell I was stronger, and feeling better.

I just thought of another form of exercise - I volunteer at the local animal shelter and take the dogs for walks. I enjoy this so much I almost forgot to count this as exercise. =) It's nice because the dogs have been in a cage for so long, they don't mind how fast or how long you can walk, they're just happy for company and to be outside.

As far as the keeping food down, I hear you on that one. Whenever I'm sick it's a guarantee that breakfast will be flushed down the toilet. So what I had been doing was eating something small, like a yogurt, waiting for my morning coughing fit -- throw up, feel better (usually my coughing slows down after I throw up I'm not sure if that has anything to do with being psychological or what) and then eat a regular breakfast and usually that was able to stay down. I also look up a lot too when coughing really hard I just tilt my head way back, seems to keep me from gagging as much. But as far as a medication goes, I'm clueless because it's not like we're nauseous its just we're coughing so hard. =\

haha sorry this was so long! But good luck with finding some sort of 'fun' exercise. I hope if you find something you like to do you'll update us!

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

B

bethylove

<br />
<br />Before that I was using the wii fit. I actually really like using the wii because you can put in as much effort or as little effort as need be -- plus you can do it in the privacy of your own home and no one is death staring you when you start hacking away. I was very skeptical of the wii fit actually being beneficial because it's a 'game' but if you utilize the strength and yoga components then it's actually a great workout.
<br />
<br />Another unconventional form of exercise I do is called Pole Fitness, where basically you pole dance. It's really really fun and it such a workout. I've had to build up muscle strength over time because when I first started I was so weak. But in a few weeks I could tell I was stronger, and feeling better.
<br />
<br />I just thought of another form of exercise - I volunteer at the local animal shelter and take the dogs for walks. I enjoy this so much I almost forgot to count this as exercise. =) It's nice because the dogs have been in a cage for so long, they don't mind how fast or how long you can walk, they're just happy for company and to be outside.
<br />
<br />
<br />As far as the keeping food down, I hear you on that one. Whenever I'm sick it's a guarantee that breakfast will be flushed down the toilet. So what I had been doing was eating something small, like a yogurt, waiting for my morning coughing fit -- throw up, feel better (usually my coughing slows down after I throw up I'm not sure if that has anything to do with being psychological or what) and then eat a regular breakfast and usually that was able to stay down. I also look up a lot too when coughing really hard I just tilt my head way back, seems to keep me from gagging as much. But as far as a medication goes, I'm clueless because it's not like we're nauseous its just we're coughing so hard. =\
<br />
<br />haha sorry this was so long! But good luck with finding some sort of 'fun' exercise. I hope if you find something you like to do you'll update us!

Cerulean

Though I have never tried it, they say Wii fitness is all the rage. You may want to check that out. When I go to the gym, I like the fan rower. It gives me some cardio without wearing me out. Often tvs are located next to them too.
I don't like treadmills. I dislike jogging cause it is too fast, and walking seems too slow to do me any good.

You said you lived in a hilly area. Try starting out small and work your way up over time.

Cerulean

Though I have never tried it, they say Wii fitness is all the rage. You may want to check that out. When I go to the gym, I like the fan rower. It gives me some cardio without wearing me out. Often tvs are located next to them too.
I don't like treadmills. I dislike jogging cause it is too fast, and walking seems too slow to do me any good.

You said you lived in a hilly area. Try starting out small and work your way up over time.

Cerulean

Cerulean

Cerulean

<br />I don't like treadmills. I dislike jogging cause it is too fast, and walking seems too slow to do me any good.
<br />
<br />You said you lived in a hilly area. Try starting out small and work your way up over time.

jbrandonAW

Man I feel ya. There seems to be NOTHING around here. I bought a treadmill hoping it would help and BLEH its soo boring and its become something I loathe and just stare at. It actually causes me anxiety attacks when I am sick and upset I "Can't" do it.

I love the idea of a gym and doing a different class every day and honestly I never thought about it. I think the base gym offers free classes-I would LOVE that!!! The pool opens soon- its nothing special BUT I can probably do it or maybe get the base doctors to order pool therapy.

As for eating I was never really like this until I got my gtube and now OMG I can barely brush my teeth in the morning ... honestly I know that if I do a tube feed I WILL puke the following morning. I try and take a zofran and lay there till it kicks in but it doesnt help all the time. I did find that eating some kind of toast for breakfast helps sometimes but who knows.

jbrandonAW

Man I feel ya. There seems to be NOTHING around here. I bought a treadmill hoping it would help and BLEH its soo boring and its become something I loathe and just stare at. It actually causes me anxiety attacks when I am sick and upset I "Can't" do it.

I love the idea of a gym and doing a different class every day and honestly I never thought about it. I think the base gym offers free classes-I would LOVE that!!! The pool opens soon- its nothing special BUT I can probably do it or maybe get the base doctors to order pool therapy.

As for eating I was never really like this until I got my gtube and now OMG I can barely brush my teeth in the morning ... honestly I know that if I do a tube feed I WILL puke the following morning. I try and take a zofran and lay there till it kicks in but it doesnt help all the time. I did find that eating some kind of toast for breakfast helps sometimes but who knows.

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />I love the idea of a gym and doing a different class every day and honestly I never thought about it. I think the base gym offers free classes-I would LOVE that!!! The pool opens soon- its nothing special BUT I can probably do it or maybe get the base doctors to order pool therapy.
<br />
<br />As for eating I was never really like this until I got my gtube and now OMG I can barely brush my teeth in the morning ... honestly I know that if I do a tube feed I WILL puke the following morning. I try and take a zofran and lay there till it kicks in but it doesnt help all the time. I did find that eating some kind of toast for breakfast helps sometimes but who knows.