exercise and the heat

creation301

<div>I know that there are some really healthy active people on CL, so thought you might be the ones to ask.  How do you stay active and survive the heat??  We have had some really hot and intense heat days here for about a week.  I have for the most part made our 5 year old stay and play inside WHICH DRIVES HER CRAZY.  She wants to be out running and playing.  And of course I want her to as well.   (The heat index has been around 115F.)  </div><div><br></div><div>Yesterday, she was outside for about 15 minutes and came in looking RUGGED (and a bit scary).  She drank lots of water, and ate a ton of salty chips right away.  However, it still took her about 20 minutes to cool down.  Is that normal for it to take that long to cool?</div><div><br></div><div>Anyway, just curious (other than simply staying out of the heat) how others handle the heat.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.</div>

creation301

I know that there are some really healthy active people on CL, so thought you might be the ones to ask. How do you stay active and survive the heat?? We have had some really hot and intense heat days here for about a week. I have for the most part made our 5 year old stay and play inside WHICH DRIVES HER CRAZY. She wants to be out running and playing. And of course I want her to as well. (The heat index has been around 115F.) <br>Yesterday, she was outside for about 15 minutes and came in looking RUGGED (and a bit scary). She drank lots of water, and ate a ton of salty chips right away. However, it still took her about 20 minutes to cool down. Is that normal for it to take that long to cool?<br>Anyway, just curious (other than simply staying out of the heat) how others handle the heat. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

creation301

I know that there are some really healthy active people on CL, so thought you might be the ones to ask. How do you stay active and survive the heat?? We have had some really hot and intense heat days here for about a week. I have for the most part made our 5 year old stay and play inside WHICH DRIVES HER CRAZY. She wants to be out running and playing. And of course I want her to as well. (The heat index has been around 115F.) <br>Yesterday, she was outside for about 15 minutes and came in looking RUGGED (and a bit scary). She drank lots of water, and ate a ton of salty chips right away. However, it still took her about 20 minutes to cool down. Is that normal for it to take that long to cool?<br>Anyway, just curious (other than simply staying out of the heat) how others handle the heat. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS spends a lot of time outside at daycare and is in several activities as well. When he was younger he was given pretzels or crackers along with water on really warm days; however, he likes plain old salt. So the daycare carries a salt shaker with them. He's pretty good about drinking water and taking hits off his salt shaker.

With this latest stretch of warm weather, they've been playing outside in the mornings and going to their playground instead of their usual walks to area parks. Or in the afternoon they've been playing inside.

Last weekend it was mid-80s with 95% humidity and we headed to a local event. He had frequent drinks and I had a packet of salt in my purse which I had him eat after playing for half an hour in the bounce houses.

He's done fine in the summer and we've monitored him; however, a friend of mine has a 5 year old with a different mutation and she gets overheated just playing normally with her friends under normal conditions.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS spends a lot of time outside at daycare and is in several activities as well. When he was younger he was given pretzels or crackers along with water on really warm days; however, he likes plain old salt. So the daycare carries a salt shaker with them. He's pretty good about drinking water and taking hits off his salt shaker.

With this latest stretch of warm weather, they've been playing outside in the mornings and going to their playground instead of their usual walks to area parks. Or in the afternoon they've been playing inside.

Last weekend it was mid-80s with 95% humidity and we headed to a local event. He had frequent drinks and I had a packet of salt in my purse which I had him eat after playing for half an hour in the bounce houses.

He's done fine in the summer and we've monitored him; however, a friend of mine has a 5 year old with a different mutation and she gets overheated just playing normally with her friends under normal conditions.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />With this latest stretch of warm weather, they've been playing outside in the mornings and going to their playground instead of their usual walks to area parks. Or in the afternoon they've been playing inside.
<br />
<br />Last weekend it was mid-80s with 95% humidity and we headed to a local event. He had frequent drinks and I had a packet of salt in my purse which I had him eat after playing for half an hour in the bounce houses.
<br />
<br />He's done fine in the summer and we've monitored him; however, a friend of mine has a 5 year old with a different mutation and she gets overheated just playing normally with her friends under normal conditions.

M

marcijo

I did a sprint triathalon last summer and it was 95 degrees out. I thought I was doing so good staying hydrated and drinking vitamin water.....but it turns out the vit. water doesn't have any electrolytes in it. I got home and had a terrible headache and was so sick feeling. It would have gotten bad if my family hadn't forced me to drink a super infused drink (looks like it was in an IV bag) with electrolyes. I think my body was seriously out of whack from sweating out all of it's salt and it was not a good thing. It really woke me up to what I needed to do when it was hot outside. I think something like gatorade would really help as well.

M

marcijo

I did a sprint triathalon last summer and it was 95 degrees out. I thought I was doing so good staying hydrated and drinking vitamin water.....but it turns out the vit. water doesn't have any electrolytes in it. I got home and had a terrible headache and was so sick feeling. It would have gotten bad if my family hadn't forced me to drink a super infused drink (looks like it was in an IV bag) with electrolyes. I think my body was seriously out of whack from sweating out all of it's salt and it was not a good thing. It really woke me up to what I needed to do when it was hot outside. I think something like gatorade would really help as well.

M

marcijo

M

marcijo

M

marcijo

M

marcijo

Giggles

Make sure to have your child drink Gaterade. It is good for the electrolytes. I drink a ton, living here in Florida. All the salty snacks are good too. Taking breaks to come in for 10-15mins to cool down in the a/c works well too. Personally in the hot heat which is in the summer, I do not do alot outside during the day. If I am out it is at the pool or beach. Now, when the sun goes down it is much tolerable but that is pretty late at night for a little one. Do you have access to a pool? When I was a child I LIVED at our community pool which is great exercise too.<br><br>Lots of fluids but not just water, do the gaterade and eating salty snacks and moderation.<br><br>Good Luck<br>

Giggles

Make sure to have your child drink Gaterade. It is good for the electrolytes. I drink a ton, living here in Florida. All the salty snacks are good too. Taking breaks to come in for 10-15mins to cool down in the a/c works well too. Personally in the hot heat which is in the summer, I do not do alot outside during the day. If I am out it is at the pool or beach. Now, when the sun goes down it is much tolerable but that is pretty late at night for a little one. Do you have access to a pool? When I was a child I LIVED at our community pool which is great exercise too.<br><br>Lots of fluids but not just water, do the gaterade and eating salty snacks and moderation.<br><br>Good Luck<br>

Giggles

M

marcijo

M

marcijo

M

marcijo

B

bookworm

I recently found out that Jelly Bellies - the gourmet jelly beans makes a jelly for runners that includes electrolytes. (Available through running stores.)

B

bookworm

I recently found out that Jelly Bellies - the gourmet jelly beans makes a jelly for runners that includes electrolytes. (Available through running stores.)