Exercise or gain weight?

ladybug

Hello.

So, for some odd reason I've been having a tough time putting the weight back on from when I was sick. I'm eating the same, normal bm's, taking sufficient insulin, etc. but I'm just staying at the weight I dropped to when I was sick and cannot seem to gain a pound back.

Here is my question:

I've been running every other day (as usual), but I know running burns tons of calories. I've also been avoiding doing weight lifting again cause I know that speeds up your metabolism as well. SO, while I'm trying to put weight back on, what should I do? What do you think is more important OR what do you think YOUR docs would advise?

Either I will: A.) Continue running since cardio is super good for CF lungs and possibly not gain the weight back or take a LONG time to do it or B.) Stop running and focus on just eating and being lazy so the weight won't "melt" off with the cardio and hopefully gain the weight back and THEN start running again when I'm "stable"...

Which do you think would be better?

I know most will say to run and just add calories to my diet cause of the exercise, but I'm already doing that. I've added about 500-600 EXTRA calories every time I get home from the gym, and nothing seems to help. I eat all day and really can't stomach eating more right now. I'm adding high cal supplements and everything (something I've NEVER done).

Urgh. I'm frustrated, but I know both weight and exercise are very important in treating CF. I just need to weigh out which one is MOST important right now.

(on a side note, I lost about 5 pounds when I was sick, and I was trying to gain a few even before I lost that, so I need to gain 5-8 pounds)

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

ladybug

Hello.

So, for some odd reason I've been having a tough time putting the weight back on from when I was sick. I'm eating the same, normal bm's, taking sufficient insulin, etc. but I'm just staying at the weight I dropped to when I was sick and cannot seem to gain a pound back.

Here is my question:

I've been running every other day (as usual), but I know running burns tons of calories. I've also been avoiding doing weight lifting again cause I know that speeds up your metabolism as well. SO, while I'm trying to put weight back on, what should I do? What do you think is more important OR what do you think YOUR docs would advise?

Either I will: A.) Continue running since cardio is super good for CF lungs and possibly not gain the weight back or take a LONG time to do it or B.) Stop running and focus on just eating and being lazy so the weight won't "melt" off with the cardio and hopefully gain the weight back and THEN start running again when I'm "stable"...

I know most will say to run and just add calories to my diet cause of the exercise, but I'm already doing that. I've added about 500-600 EXTRA calories every time I get home from the gym, and nothing seems to help. I eat all day and really can't stomach eating more right now. I'm adding high cal supplements and everything (something I've NEVER done).

Urgh. I'm frustrated, but I know both weight and exercise are very important in treating CF. I just need to weigh out which one is MOST important right now.

(on a side note, I lost about 5 pounds when I was sick, and I was trying to gain a few even before I lost that, so I need to gain 5-8 pounds)

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

ladybug

Hello.

Here is my question:

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

ladybug

Hello.

Here is my question:

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

ladybug

Hello.
<br />
<br />So, for some odd reason I've been having a tough time putting the weight back on from when I was sick. I'm eating the same, normal bm's, taking sufficient insulin, etc. but I'm just staying at the weight I dropped to when I was sick and cannot seem to gain a pound back.
<br />
<br />Here is my question:
<br />
<br />I've been running every other day (as usual), but I know running burns tons of calories. I've also been avoiding doing weight lifting again cause I know that speeds up your metabolism as well. SO, while I'm trying to put weight back on, what should I do? What do you think is more important OR what do you think YOUR docs would advise?
<br />
<br />Either I will: A.) Continue running since cardio is super good for CF lungs and possibly not gain the weight back or take a LONG time to do it or B.) Stop running and focus on just eating and being lazy so the weight won't "melt" off with the cardio and hopefully gain the weight back and THEN start running again when I'm "stable"...
<br />
<br />Which do you think would be better?
<br />
<br />I know most will say to run and just add calories to my diet cause of the exercise, but I'm already doing that. I've added about 500-600 EXTRA calories every time I get home from the gym, and nothing seems to help. I eat all day and really can't stomach eating more right now. I'm adding high cal supplements and everything (something I've NEVER done).
<br />
<br />Urgh. I'm frustrated, but I know both weight and exercise are very important in treating CF. I just need to weigh out which one is MOST important right now.
<br />
<br />(on a side note, I lost about 5 pounds when I was sick, and I was trying to gain a few even before I lost that, so I need to gain 5-8 pounds)
<br />
<br />Thoughts? Thanks guys!

JazzysMom

IMHO you should continue your exercise routine & bump the calories majorly not the small amounts you mentioned. Strength training will build your muscle mass which will add to your weight.

I know the frustration of trying to find that balance. I applaud you for getting as far as you do. I am petrified of exercise for the weight reason!!

JazzysMom

IMHO you should continue your exercise routine & bump the calories majorly not the small amounts you mentioned. Strength training will build your muscle mass which will add to your weight.

I know the frustration of trying to find that balance. I applaud you for getting as far as you do. I am petrified of exercise for the weight reason!!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I know the frustration of trying to find that balance. I applaud you for getting as far as you do. I am petrified of exercise for the weight reason!!
<br />

ladybug

LOL... well i've always been able to gain weight when running even without the added calories that i'm doing now. that is what is soooo strange. it makes me wonder if for some reason my body is fighting the gain for some reason... if that's possible?

according to the treadmill (which i know is wrong by at least 100 calories for a CFer), i burn about 200 calories with my jog, so adding an additional 600 calories really SHOULD help. no?

i'm also curious why all of a sudden the exercise and what i eat is not enough when it has been for the past several years? i'm not increasing my intensity and i AM increasing my calories more than just a month ago. it just seems weird that NOW my body decides the exercise is too much? does this make sense? i'd love to be "schooled" in this. LOL

thanks, mel!

ladybug

LOL... well i've always been able to gain weight when running even without the added calories that i'm doing now. that is what is soooo strange. it makes me wonder if for some reason my body is fighting the gain for some reason... if that's possible?

according to the treadmill (which i know is wrong by at least 100 calories for a CFer), i burn about 200 calories with my jog, so adding an additional 600 calories really SHOULD help. no?

i'm also curious why all of a sudden the exercise and what i eat is not enough when it has been for the past several years? i'm not increasing my intensity and i AM increasing my calories more than just a month ago. it just seems weird that NOW my body decides the exercise is too much? does this make sense? i'd love to be "schooled" in this. LOL

thanks, mel!

ladybug

thanks, mel!

ladybug

thanks, mel!

ladybug

<br />
<br />according to the treadmill (which i know is wrong by at least 100 calories for a CFer), i burn about 200 calories with my jog, so adding an additional 600 calories really SHOULD help. no?
<br />
<br />i'm also curious why all of a sudden the exercise and what i eat is not enough when it has been for the past several years? i'm not increasing my intensity and i AM increasing my calories more than just a month ago. it just seems weird that NOW my body decides the exercise is too much? does this make sense? i'd love to be "schooled" in this. LOL
<br />
<br />thanks, mel!

ladybug

p.s. Mel, i totally agree about being terrified of finding the balance. when i add in the insulin i take dependant on exercise, it adds to the frustration (sometimes i bottom out, somtimes its just right and has no bearing on the exercise or the carbs, just how my body decides to process it after i workout).

it just has never been a problem for me before now. whenever i'd eat normal and exercise, i'd always maintain and slowly gain weight. its just so WEIRD.

isn't it funny how CFers avoid exercise cause they may get too skinny... what would the rest of those who exercise and never see any weight loss say to that one ? my word, i can hear it now!!! LOL!

ladybug

p.s. Mel, i totally agree about being terrified of finding the balance. when i add in the insulin i take dependant on exercise, it adds to the frustration (sometimes i bottom out, somtimes its just right and has no bearing on the exercise or the carbs, just how my body decides to process it after i workout).

it just has never been a problem for me before now. whenever i'd eat normal and exercise, i'd always maintain and slowly gain weight. its just so WEIRD.

isn't it funny how CFers avoid exercise cause they may get too skinny... what would the rest of those who exercise and never see any weight loss say to that one ? my word, i can hear it now!!! LOL!

ladybug

ladybug

ladybug

<br />
<br />it just has never been a problem for me before now. whenever i'd eat normal and exercise, i'd always maintain and slowly gain weight. its just so WEIRD.
<br />
<br />isn't it funny how CFers avoid exercise cause they may get too skinny... what would the rest of those who exercise and never see any weight loss say to that one ? my word, i can hear it now!!! LOL!