Exercise or gain weight?

Nightwriter

My doctor believes exercise is very important. It not only strengthens all the systems og the body, but actually changes your immune system so it can fight more effectively. It has something to do with the quality of the T cells (fighter cells).

After about age 25, all people start to slowly lose muscle mass, and bone density. And you well know even normal people lose lung function as they age. When you exercise you want a balance of 3 areas: cardio, strength, and flexability (you want to keep you joints in good shape too by stretching).

If you think you are losing too much weight, jog a bit less until your weight goes back up, weights will build muscle which is denser than fat. Weights also help prevent osteoporosis, something that some CF'ers have a problem with. And retaining muscle strength will help you when you get weakened by exacerbations. You don't have to use heavy weights and you can also use resistance bands.

Exercise is the only real fountain of youth which leads to better health. And after 30, your metabolism starts to change anyway by slowing down. You may be going through an usual phase becaus you were just sick --maybe your hormones are temporarily affected by inflammation which affects your ability to gain weight.

Nightwriter

My doctor believes exercise is very important. It not only strengthens all the systems og the body, but actually changes your immune system so it can fight more effectively. It has something to do with the quality of the T cells (fighter cells).

After about age 25, all people start to slowly lose muscle mass, and bone density. And you well know even normal people lose lung function as they age. When you exercise you want a balance of 3 areas: cardio, strength, and flexability (you want to keep you joints in good shape too by stretching).

If you think you are losing too much weight, jog a bit less until your weight goes back up, weights will build muscle which is denser than fat. Weights also help prevent osteoporosis, something that some CF'ers have a problem with. And retaining muscle strength will help you when you get weakened by exacerbations. You don't have to use heavy weights and you can also use resistance bands.

Exercise is the only real fountain of youth which leads to better health. And after 30, your metabolism starts to change anyway by slowing down. You may be going through an usual phase becaus you were just sick --maybe your hormones are temporarily affected by inflammation which affects your ability to gain weight.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />After about age 25, all people start to slowly lose muscle mass, and bone density. And you well know even normal people lose lung function as they age. When you exercise you want a balance of 3 areas: cardio, strength, and flexability (you want to keep you joints in good shape too by stretching).
<br />
<br />If you think you are losing too much weight, jog a bit less until your weight goes back up, weights will build muscle which is denser than fat. Weights also help prevent osteoporosis, something that some CF'ers have a problem with. And retaining muscle strength will help you when you get weakened by exacerbations. You don't have to use heavy weights and you can also use resistance bands.
<br />
<br />Exercise is the only real fountain of youth which leads to better health. And after 30, your metabolism starts to change anyway by slowing down. You may be going through an usual phase becaus you were just sick --maybe your hormones are temporarily affected by inflammation which affects your ability to gain weight.

ladybug

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>carmick</b></i>

I probably should know this by 25, but how much faster are we burning calories when we exercise? Is it the same 50% rate as normal or is it less because it's not accounting for pancreatic insufficiency?</end quote></div>

Hey, Caryn.

I'm thinking its likely different for everyone and you'd likely need a stress test or something to see how many calories you're actually burning. Long ago I found out I burn over 1500 calories just while sleeping (they put a thing on my face and kept it on while I slept to measure the "energy" and stuff it was taking me to breathe). So, my guess is, that is fairly high and because of that I assume when I run I am burning FAR more than what the treadmill says.

I agree with everyone about weight lifting. I used to do it regularly. However, when trying to loose weight, many suggest lifting weights cause it messes with your metabolism. I know the lean muscle you will gain appears to help you put on weight, but you also get leaner when you lift, so it makes me nervous to loose my "fat" storage. I personally think adding weights at this point in time for me would not help me put weight on, but instead would make it more difficult. I have lost weight before when I lifted and ran and that wasn't even when I was having a tough time keeping it on, so to do it now could make things far worse IMO.

I think perhaps if I switched and ONLY do weights and no cardio, I'll maybe gain weight, but its hard to say.

I don't want to stop exercising, and if this is what I decide to do, it would likely only be for a week or two while I up my caloric intake excessively. That way, I won't burn off any of the calories I'd be taking in.

Once I get back to my normal (pre-sickness) weight, I will certainly go back to cardio.

I do know the importance of exercise and have been doing it religiously for several years now and attribute it to my FEV1 staying stable.

BUT, I also feel that if my nutrition and weight gain is suffering for some reason at this point, wouldn't it be worth a week or two of staying away from the gym to see if that helps? Maybe it won't, but wouldn't it be worth a shot? Would two weeks away from the gym be detrimental to my FEV1 causing permenent damage?

Hmmmm.... I just don't know what else to do.

ladybug

I probably should know this by 25, but how much faster are we burning calories when we exercise? Is it the same 50% rate as normal or is it less because it's not accounting for pancreatic insufficiency?</end quote></div>

Hey, Caryn.

I'm thinking its likely different for everyone and you'd likely need a stress test or something to see how many calories you're actually burning. Long ago I found out I burn over 1500 calories just while sleeping (they put a thing on my face and kept it on while I slept to measure the "energy" and stuff it was taking me to breathe). So, my guess is, that is fairly high and because of that I assume when I run I am burning FAR more than what the treadmill says.

I agree with everyone about weight lifting. I used to do it regularly. However, when trying to loose weight, many suggest lifting weights cause it messes with your metabolism. I know the lean muscle you will gain appears to help you put on weight, but you also get leaner when you lift, so it makes me nervous to loose my "fat" storage. I personally think adding weights at this point in time for me would not help me put weight on, but instead would make it more difficult. I have lost weight before when I lifted and ran and that wasn't even when I was having a tough time keeping it on, so to do it now could make things far worse IMO.

I think perhaps if I switched and ONLY do weights and no cardio, I'll maybe gain weight, but its hard to say.

I don't want to stop exercising, and if this is what I decide to do, it would likely only be for a week or two while I up my caloric intake excessively. That way, I won't burn off any of the calories I'd be taking in.

Once I get back to my normal (pre-sickness) weight, I will certainly go back to cardio.

I do know the importance of exercise and have been doing it religiously for several years now and attribute it to my FEV1 staying stable.

BUT, I also feel that if my nutrition and weight gain is suffering for some reason at this point, wouldn't it be worth a week or two of staying away from the gym to see if that helps? Maybe it won't, but wouldn't it be worth a shot? Would two weeks away from the gym be detrimental to my FEV1 causing permenent damage?

ladybug

Hey, Caryn.

ladybug

I probably should know this by 25, but how much faster are we burning calories when we exercise? Is it the same 50% rate as normal or is it less because it's not accounting for pancreatic insufficiency?</end quote>

Hey, Caryn.

ladybug

<br />
<br />
<br />I probably should know this by 25, but how much faster are we burning calories when we exercise? Is it the same 50% rate as normal or is it less because it's not accounting for pancreatic insufficiency?</end quote>
<br />
<br />Hey, Caryn.
<br />
<br />I'm thinking its likely different for everyone and you'd likely need a stress test or something to see how many calories you're actually burning. Long ago I found out I burn over 1500 calories just while sleeping (they put a thing on my face and kept it on while I slept to measure the "energy" and stuff it was taking me to breathe). So, my guess is, that is fairly high and because of that I assume when I run I am burning FAR more than what the treadmill says.
<br />
<br />
<br />I agree with everyone about weight lifting. I used to do it regularly. However, when trying to loose weight, many suggest lifting weights cause it messes with your metabolism. I know the lean muscle you will gain appears to help you put on weight, but you also get leaner when you lift, so it makes me nervous to loose my "fat" storage. I personally think adding weights at this point in time for me would not help me put weight on, but instead would make it more difficult. I have lost weight before when I lifted and ran and that wasn't even when I was having a tough time keeping it on, so to do it now could make things far worse IMO.
<br />
<br />I think perhaps if I switched and ONLY do weights and no cardio, I'll maybe gain weight, but its hard to say.
<br />
<br />I don't want to stop exercising, and if this is what I decide to do, it would likely only be for a week or two while I up my caloric intake excessively. That way, I won't burn off any of the calories I'd be taking in.
<br />
<br />Once I get back to my normal (pre-sickness) weight, I will certainly go back to cardio.
<br />
<br />I do know the importance of exercise and have been doing it religiously for several years now and attribute it to my FEV1 staying stable.
<br />
<br />BUT, I also feel that if my nutrition and weight gain is suffering for some reason at this point, wouldn't it be worth a week or two of staying away from the gym to see if that helps? Maybe it won't, but wouldn't it be worth a shot? Would two weeks away from the gym be detrimental to my FEV1 causing permenent damage?
<br />
<br />Hmmmm.... I just don't know what else to do.
<br />
<br />

kmaried

Hey Sonia,

I wouldn't stop exercising. If you're doing that much cardio now, that's great. Great for your lungs, great for your heart, great for your immune system.

I just did a three week tune-up with IVs where my goal was to gain weight and start working out again... I had been so run down, I was exercising less and less. I used megace (appetite stimulant) and did cardio every day. I gained weight, but good weight and have much more stamina. Plus the food gives you even more energy! Just an idea... I know you're eating a lot already, but you did comment you're eating all you can 'stomach' -- this might up that threshold!

Kris

kmaried

Hey Sonia,

I wouldn't stop exercising. If you're doing that much cardio now, that's great. Great for your lungs, great for your heart, great for your immune system.

I just did a three week tune-up with IVs where my goal was to gain weight and start working out again... I had been so run down, I was exercising less and less. I used megace (appetite stimulant) and did cardio every day. I gained weight, but good weight and have much more stamina. Plus the food gives you even more energy! Just an idea... I know you're eating a lot already, but you did comment you're eating all you can 'stomach' -- this might up that threshold!

Kris

kmaried

Hey Sonia,

Kris

kmaried

Hey Sonia,

Kris

kmaried

Hey Sonia,
<br />
<br />I wouldn't stop exercising. If you're doing that much cardio now, that's great. Great for your lungs, great for your heart, great for your immune system.
<br />
<br />I just did a three week tune-up with IVs where my goal was to gain weight and start working out again... I had been so run down, I was exercising less and less. I used megace (appetite stimulant) and did cardio every day. I gained weight, but good weight and have much more stamina. Plus the food gives you even more energy! Just an idea... I know you're eating a lot already, but you did comment you're eating all you can 'stomach' -- this might up that threshold!
<br />
<br />Kris

ladybug

thanks, Kris.

yeah, i do actually have an Rx for megace and its here in my home with me so i could start taking it today. i was on kinda a high dose and it was stopping its efficiency, but perhaps its time to give it another shot?

i think i'll keep exercising, but maybe slow my jog or do elliptical or something else that doesn't make my heart rate go sky high like a full jog does. i know with my heart pumping so much, i'm burning lots of calories.

its soooo frustrating when you feel great but still can't put the weight on!!! i can see it if i'm sick, but not now!

(i also wonder if stress can make you loose weight or not be able to put it on, even WHEN you're eating??? i have had a lot of stress lately and although i'm eating MORE than usual, perhaps its processing differently cause of the stress? any ideas?)

ladybug

thanks, Kris.

yeah, i do actually have an Rx for megace and its here in my home with me so i could start taking it today. i was on kinda a high dose and it was stopping its efficiency, but perhaps its time to give it another shot?

i think i'll keep exercising, but maybe slow my jog or do elliptical or something else that doesn't make my heart rate go sky high like a full jog does. i know with my heart pumping so much, i'm burning lots of calories.

its soooo frustrating when you feel great but still can't put the weight on!!! i can see it if i'm sick, but not now!

(i also wonder if stress can make you loose weight or not be able to put it on, even WHEN you're eating??? i have had a lot of stress lately and although i'm eating MORE than usual, perhaps its processing differently cause of the stress? any ideas?)

ladybug

thanks, Kris.

ladybug

thanks, Kris.

ladybug

thanks, Kris.
<br />
<br />yeah, i do actually have an Rx for megace and its here in my home with me so i could start taking it today. i was on kinda a high dose and it was stopping its efficiency, but perhaps its time to give it another shot?
<br />
<br />i think i'll keep exercising, but maybe slow my jog or do elliptical or something else that doesn't make my heart rate go sky high like a full jog does. i know with my heart pumping so much, i'm burning lots of calories.
<br />
<br />its soooo frustrating when you feel great but still can't put the weight on!!! i can see it if i'm sick, but not now!
<br />
<br />(i also wonder if stress can make you loose weight or not be able to put it on, even WHEN you're eating??? i have had a lot of stress lately and although i'm eating MORE than usual, perhaps its processing differently cause of the stress? any ideas?)