Exercise survey

jdubbs

Hi -

I exercise virtually every day. If I do cardio, I usually jog about 3.5 miles. If I don't do cardio, I do weights. Basically I like to do about 40 minutes of exercise per day. If I'm feeling tired and just don't want to do it, I compromise and say I'm going to do 15 minutes worth. Usually that 15 turns into more. In the spring/summer/fall I jog outside. In the winter I jog at the gym.

If I take a few days off, my lungs start feeling like crap. Not only does it improve clearance, but it boosts the immune system and all that other good stuff. I would roughly equate my not exercising to a healthy person smoking about 10 cigarettes that day.

At one point I wsa into swimming. I was doing about an hour to 2 hours a day. My pfts went up about 10% points from an already pretty good number. They even had me use multiple machines because they didn't believe the result. I was really working hard tho. Unsustainably hard. As soon as I stopped, they went back to my baseline. I assume if I went swim crazy again they'd go back up.

I also used to cycle, but youc an only really do that in the summer. It's fun tho! ALthough, I'd burn som many calories it was difficult for me to maintain weight.

jdubbs

Hi -

I exercise virtually every day. If I do cardio, I usually jog about 3.5 miles. If I don't do cardio, I do weights. Basically I like to do about 40 minutes of exercise per day. If I'm feeling tired and just don't want to do it, I compromise and say I'm going to do 15 minutes worth. Usually that 15 turns into more. In the spring/summer/fall I jog outside. In the winter I jog at the gym.

If I take a few days off, my lungs start feeling like crap. Not only does it improve clearance, but it boosts the immune system and all that other good stuff. I would roughly equate my not exercising to a healthy person smoking about 10 cigarettes that day.

At one point I wsa into swimming. I was doing about an hour to 2 hours a day. My pfts went up about 10% points from an already pretty good number. They even had me use multiple machines because they didn't believe the result. I was really working hard tho. Unsustainably hard. As soon as I stopped, they went back to my baseline. I assume if I went swim crazy again they'd go back up.

I also used to cycle, but youc an only really do that in the summer. It's fun tho! ALthough, I'd burn som many calories it was difficult for me to maintain weight.

jdubbs

Hi -

jdubbs

Hi -

jdubbs

Hi -
<br />
<br />I exercise virtually every day. If I do cardio, I usually jog about 3.5 miles. If I don't do cardio, I do weights. Basically I like to do about 40 minutes of exercise per day. If I'm feeling tired and just don't want to do it, I compromise and say I'm going to do 15 minutes worth. Usually that 15 turns into more. In the spring/summer/fall I jog outside. In the winter I jog at the gym.
<br />
<br />If I take a few days off, my lungs start feeling like crap. Not only does it improve clearance, but it boosts the immune system and all that other good stuff. I would roughly equate my not exercising to a healthy person smoking about 10 cigarettes that day.
<br />
<br />At one point I wsa into swimming. I was doing about an hour to 2 hours a day. My pfts went up about 10% points from an already pretty good number. They even had me use multiple machines because they didn't believe the result. I was really working hard tho. Unsustainably hard. As soon as I stopped, they went back to my baseline. I assume if I went swim crazy again they'd go back up.
<br />
<br />I also used to cycle, but youc an only really do that in the summer. It's fun tho! ALthough, I'd burn som many calories it was difficult for me to maintain weight.
<br />

Giggles

I feel exercise is the KEY to not only feeling better on a daily basis but also being able to get back to feeling better and/or back to your baseline when you get really sick and need a tune up! Exercising is just one of the many things I do to keep myself healthy! I can not imagine not doing it, I would be so sick and congested! Good luck with a exercise plan!!!!

Jennifer 36 yrs old with CF and CFRD

Giggles

I feel exercise is the KEY to not only feeling better on a daily basis but also being able to get back to feeling better and/or back to your baseline when you get really sick and need a tune up! Exercising is just one of the many things I do to keep myself healthy! I can not imagine not doing it, I would be so sick and congested! Good luck with a exercise plan!!!!

Giggles

Giggles

Giggles

<br />
<br />
<br />Jennifer 36 yrs old with CF and CFRD

Diane

I walk on my treadmill. The length of time varies due to how well i feel. I can say that when i was walking on it regularly i felt a whole lot better and maintained my lung function. I am on an iv right now and not feeling too energetic but i still walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes this morning. I figure, every few mintues helps. I will walk again tonight.

Diane

I walk on my treadmill. The length of time varies due to how well i feel. I can say that when i was walking on it regularly i felt a whole lot better and maintained my lung function. I am on an iv right now and not feeling too energetic but i still walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes this morning. I figure, every few mintues helps. I will walk again tonight.

Diane

Diane

Diane

Kristen

I have been working out regularly for about 15 years now. I can't say for sure if it has increased my FEV1, but it hasn't gone down, and I definitely attribute exercise to some of that.

For years my workout routine has been like this:
*2 hours of cardio a week. Usually I would do 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week, but sometimes I'd do 3-20 minutes sessions and 2-30 minute sessions. I either jog outside or go to the gym and do a combination of recumbent bike, elliptical, stairmaster, and/or treadmill.

*2 full-body lifting sessions a week. 1 session would consist of biceps, triceps, shoulders, lower back, upper back, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, and abs. Sometimes I would break these up into 4 workouts - legs one day, arms the next, then legs again, then arms again, and a lot of the time I would do one of my cardio workouts before lifting

Recently (as in 2 months ago) I felt like I was in such a rut, so I've changed my workout like this:

*Jillian Micheal's 30-day Shred workout video 3 times a week. That tape kicks my butt!!! It's a great combo of strength training and cardio, it's quick, and I love that I can do it at home. I feel like I am dying when I am doing it.

*1 hr, 15 minutes of cardio a week, usually divided into 2-30 minutes sessions and 1-15 minutes session.

Since I made that change two months ago, I actually did a PFT at the allergist the other day, and my lung function was up 10%! I don't know if this is because the allergist used a different type of PFT machine or something like that (it was a hand-held one). I'm curious to see what it is when I go to the CF doctor next month.

Kristen

I have been working out regularly for about 15 years now. I can't say for sure if it has increased my FEV1, but it hasn't gone down, and I definitely attribute exercise to some of that.

*2 hours of cardio a week. Usually I would do 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week, but sometimes I'd do 3-20 minutes sessions and 2-30 minute sessions. I either jog outside or go to the gym and do a combination of recumbent bike, elliptical, stairmaster, and/or treadmill.

*2 full-body lifting sessions a week. 1 session would consist of biceps, triceps, shoulders, lower back, upper back, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, and abs. Sometimes I would break these up into 4 workouts - legs one day, arms the next, then legs again, then arms again, and a lot of the time I would do one of my cardio workouts before lifting

Recently (as in 2 months ago) I felt like I was in such a rut, so I've changed my workout like this:

*Jillian Micheal's 30-day Shred workout video 3 times a week. That tape kicks my butt!!! It's a great combo of strength training and cardio, it's quick, and I love that I can do it at home. I feel like I am dying when I am doing it.

*1 hr, 15 minutes of cardio a week, usually divided into 2-30 minutes sessions and 1-15 minutes session.

Since I made that change two months ago, I actually did a PFT at the allergist the other day, and my lung function was up 10%! I don't know if this is because the allergist used a different type of PFT machine or something like that (it was a hand-held one). I'm curious to see what it is when I go to the CF doctor next month.

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

<br />
<br />For years my workout routine has been like this:
<br />*2 hours of cardio a week. Usually I would do 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week, but sometimes I'd do 3-20 minutes sessions and 2-30 minute sessions. I either jog outside or go to the gym and do a combination of recumbent bike, elliptical, stairmaster, and/or treadmill.
<br />
<br />*2 full-body lifting sessions a week. 1 session would consist of biceps, triceps, shoulders, lower back, upper back, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, and abs. Sometimes I would break these up into 4 workouts - legs one day, arms the next, then legs again, then arms again, and a lot of the time I would do one of my cardio workouts before lifting
<br />
<br />Recently (as in 2 months ago) I felt like I was in such a rut, so I've changed my workout like this:
<br />
<br />*Jillian Micheal's 30-day Shred workout video 3 times a week. That tape kicks my butt!!! It's a great combo of strength training and cardio, it's quick, and I love that I can do it at home. I feel like I am dying when I am doing it.
<br />
<br />*1 hr, 15 minutes of cardio a week, usually divided into 2-30 minutes sessions and 1-15 minutes session.
<br />
<br />Since I made that change two months ago, I actually did a PFT at the allergist the other day, and my lung function was up 10%! I don't know if this is because the allergist used a different type of PFT machine or something like that (it was a hand-held one). I'm curious to see what it is when I go to the CF doctor next month.