Feeding tube question

fourkidsmom

Oh boy, well I just went to hook up his G-tube for his 9 hour nightly feeding and I always flush with water first. Well the water wouldn't go right in so sometimes we have to use a syringe and give the water a little push, well it wouldn't go in at all. Any suggestions as to why this may be??? I am thinking we may change it out this weekend. He got it March 1, 2007 and it has never been changed.

While I am on the question about the tube. Has anyone else with a child with a g-tube (MIC-KEY button) found that their kids don't want to eat anything during the day. It is almost like he is living off the pediasure we put in his tube at night. He gets 6 to 7 cans daily (4 nightly and 2-3 orally). It is like he has NO appetite. He has never been a good eater for me, but it is the worse ever. He just had a doctors appt and I mentioned it so they did a PFT and it was just a little worse than 3 months ago. I thought maybe it is time for a clean out it has been over a year and he has never went that long.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Oh boy, well I just went to hook up his G-tube for his 9 hour nightly feeding and I always flush with water first. Well the water wouldn't go right in so sometimes we have to use a syringe and give the water a little push, well it wouldn't go in at all. Any suggestions as to why this may be??? I am thinking we may change it out this weekend. He got it March 1, 2007 and it has never been changed.

While I am on the question about the tube. Has anyone else with a child with a g-tube (MIC-KEY button) found that their kids don't want to eat anything during the day. It is almost like he is living off the pediasure we put in his tube at night. He gets 6 to 7 cans daily (4 nightly and 2-3 orally). It is like he has NO appetite. He has never been a good eater for me, but it is the worse ever. He just had a doctors appt and I mentioned it so they did a PFT and it was just a little worse than 3 months ago. I thought maybe it is time for a clean out it has been over a year and he has never went that long.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

RUSSELLCREW

Our little girl recieved a G-tube on the 14th of December. At first she was not eating during the day but we give her only 3 cans of pediasure at night and alternate it with Scandishake. Maybe don't give him so many during the day and see how it goes?? My doc suggested flushing it with Coca-Cola if it doesn't want to flush. Something to do with the carbonation and the contents in Coke that actually breaks up the blocks.

RUSSELLCREW

Our little girl recieved a G-tube on the 14th of December. At first she was not eating during the day but we give her only 3 cans of pediasure at night and alternate it with Scandishake. Maybe don't give him so many during the day and see how it goes?? My doc suggested flushing it with Coca-Cola if it doesn't want to flush. Something to do with the carbonation and the contents in Coke that actually breaks up the blocks.

RUSSELLCREW

RUSSELLCREW

RUSSELLCREW

izemmom

We did the "Coca Cola Thing" when Emily had her long tube (pre-MicKey button). It did clear up the gunk. The only time I ever experienced a problem getting fluid to go in was when I forgot to un-do the clamp on the extension tubing. But, I'm sure you checked that, if there is one...so, I'm no help there.

I will agree that E mily's daytime appetite had been severely decreased since she got her tube. She's never been a huge eater, but now we are thrilled to see her actually eat a decent amount at a meal. She eats nothing until abut 11:30 (feeding stops around 6:00 am) and then she picks at her lunch (unless it's a Dinty Moore beef stew with butter added...her current favorite), eats a moderate snck around 3:30, has a tiny dinner around 6:00 and, if we are lucky, has a snack before bed at 8:30 ish. It's not a lot. We struggle with this. I do make evey bite count by adding calories when I can and making sure she has things that are naturally high in fats (the "good" ones) always available...nuts, avacado, bananas are among the things she'll almoat always nibble on, and she LOVES both yogurt and cheese, so those are almost always offered.

She has had the tube since August of '07. She isn't gaining huge amounts and certainly not quickly, but, she's gaining and she has been very h ealthy this winter (knock on wood). So, I guess I'm satisfied.

;Good luck getting your issue straightened out. Let us know how it goes if you do change out the tube. We haven't done it yet, and I"m curious to know what exactly it entails.

izemmom

We did the "Coca Cola Thing" when Emily had her long tube (pre-MicKey button). It did clear up the gunk. The only time I ever experienced a problem getting fluid to go in was when I forgot to un-do the clamp on the extension tubing. But, I'm sure you checked that, if there is one...so, I'm no help there.

I will agree that E mily's daytime appetite had been severely decreased since she got her tube. She's never been a huge eater, but now we are thrilled to see her actually eat a decent amount at a meal. She eats nothing until abut 11:30 (feeding stops around 6:00 am) and then she picks at her lunch (unless it's a Dinty Moore beef stew with butter added...her current favorite), eats a moderate snck around 3:30, has a tiny dinner around 6:00 and, if we are lucky, has a snack before bed at 8:30 ish. It's not a lot. We struggle with this. I do make evey bite count by adding calories when I can and making sure she has things that are naturally high in fats (the "good" ones) always available...nuts, avacado, bananas are among the things she'll almoat always nibble on, and she LOVES both yogurt and cheese, so those are almost always offered.

She has had the tube since August of '07. She isn't gaining huge amounts and certainly not quickly, but, she's gaining and she has been very h ealthy this winter (knock on wood). So, I guess I'm satisfied.

;Good luck getting your issue straightened out. Let us know how it goes if you do change out the tube. We haven't done it yet, and I"m curious to know what exactly it entails.

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

jimiv

Parker got his g-tube last week. I have not had the problem of not being able to get fluid in as yet but I would think that the Coke solution would work great because of the carbonation and the acidic content of most sodas. His appetite is back somewhat but I think that is partially to do with the stoppage of our daily battles to eat enough food to gain weight. If you change the button, please post how that turns out. Good luck.

jimiv

Parker got his g-tube last week. I have not had the problem of not being able to get fluid in as yet but I would think that the Coke solution would work great because of the carbonation and the acidic content of most sodas. His appetite is back somewhat but I think that is partially to do with the stoppage of our daily battles to eat enough food to gain weight. If you change the button, please post how that turns out. Good luck.

jimiv

jimiv

jimiv