Feeding Tube

TobysMom

When we had an appointment last week for DS, they said that if he doesn't get up in the percentile of size, they may need to give him a feeding tube.

He was 5lbs 4oz when he was born and last week was 8lbs 7oz at 9 weeks, so he's gained a pretty good amount of weight from birth- so because he is steadily gaining, he may NOT need the tube.

I am concerned though and not exactly sure what the feeding tube is or how it is used.

Can anyone give me more info on it?

TobysMom

When we had an appointment last week for DS, they said that if he doesn't get up in the percentile of size, they may need to give him a feeding tube.

He was 5lbs 4oz when he was born and last week was 8lbs 7oz at 9 weeks, so he's gained a pretty good amount of weight from birth- so because he is steadily gaining, he may NOT need the tube.

I am concerned though and not exactly sure what the feeding tube is or how it is used.

TobysMom

TobysMom

TobysMom

<br />
<br />He was 5lbs 4oz when he was born and last week was 8lbs 7oz at 9 weeks, so he's gained a pretty good amount of weight from birth- so because he is steadily gaining, he may NOT need the tube.
<br />
<br />I am concerned though and not exactly sure what the feeding tube is or how it is used.
<br />
<br />Can anyone give me more info on it?

just1more

EDITED: I just reread your post and realized you said feeding tube. This could be an NG tube (small tube you run via nose into stomach). My post is based upon a G-tube which is a more long-term form.

My son has one, we don't use regularly though it has been in the past. Currently we only use when he is sick, or just refusing to eat so we can keep his weight up.

There a couple of types, but a common one which is what we have is a mic-key (Mickey). From the outside you have a button, looks a ton like the inflate valve on a beach ball, including a little flap to close.

The hole is a bit smaller than the size of a pencil (on my 6yr old, maybe smaller on a little one?). Under the skin the tube is < 1" long and has a balloon on the back side that is inside the stomach. This is what holds it in place, the balloon has a small amount of water in it.

To feed, you have a small tube that connects to the button and you can either attach a bottle and use gravity, or a small pump (like an IV pump) that will push in formula or in an older child often pediasure. The food goes directly into the stomach and the digests like normal.

Hope this helps.

just1more

EDITED: I just reread your post and realized you said feeding tube. This could be an NG tube (small tube you run via nose into stomach). My post is based upon a G-tube which is a more long-term form.

My son has one, we don't use regularly though it has been in the past. Currently we only use when he is sick, or just refusing to eat so we can keep his weight up.

There a couple of types, but a common one which is what we have is a mic-key (Mickey). From the outside you have a button, looks a ton like the inflate valve on a beach ball, including a little flap to close.

The hole is a bit smaller than the size of a pencil (on my 6yr old, maybe smaller on a little one?). Under the skin the tube is < 1" long and has a balloon on the back side that is inside the stomach. This is what holds it in place, the balloon has a small amount of water in it.

To feed, you have a small tube that connects to the button and you can either attach a bottle and use gravity, or a small pump (like an IV pump) that will push in formula or in an older child often pediasure. The food goes directly into the stomach and the digests like normal.

Hope this helps.

just1more

Hope this helps.

just1more

Hope this helps.

just1more

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />My son has one, we don't use regularly though it has been in the past. Currently we only use when he is sick, or just refusing to eat so we can keep his weight up.
<br />
<br />There a couple of types, but a common one which is what we have is a mic-key (Mickey). From the outside you have a button, looks a ton like the inflate valve on a beach ball, including a little flap to close.
<br />
<br />The hole is a bit smaller than the size of a pencil (on my 6yr old, maybe smaller on a little one?). Under the skin the tube is < 1" long and has a balloon on the back side that is inside the stomach. This is what holds it in place, the balloon has a small amount of water in it.
<br />
<br />To feed, you have a small tube that connects to the button and you can either attach a bottle and use gravity, or a small pump (like an IV pump) that will push in formula or in an older child often pediasure. The food goes directly into the stomach and the digests like normal.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps.

JennyCoulon

My 8 year old has the Mini button. He does 4 cans for Carnation Instant Breakfast (2 of Plus) and (2 of VHC) 6-7 nights a week. If he doesn't eat very well he will have a can of the VHC during the day. He has had his button for 2 years and had good weight gain in the beginning. He has steady weight gain but they would like it to be more. Let me know if you have other questions that I can help answer. Thanks,

JennyCoulon

My 8 year old has the Mini button. He does 4 cans for Carnation Instant Breakfast (2 of Plus) and (2 of VHC) 6-7 nights a week. If he doesn't eat very well he will have a can of the VHC during the day. He has had his button for 2 years and had good weight gain in the beginning. He has steady weight gain but they would like it to be more. Let me know if you have other questions that I can help answer. Thanks,

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

U

usedtobeinca

We only have experience with the naso-gastric (NG) tube. Our little guy had one intermittently to gain weight in his first three months. It would be important to ask your CF docs if they're referring to an NG tube or the other more long-term tubes referenced by the other posters.

The NG-tube is often inserted by the medical staff, though if can be done at home. It's a fexible tube about the diameter of a pencil lead - and is inserted into one nostril, then down the throat into the stomach. The external portion is typically adhered to the cheek and trails back behind the child's head. This portion is connected to a feeding tube, bag and pump usually hung from an IV post. We used the tube for night feeds only.

Sounds like a lot I'm sure. Obviously it's better not to need it. But our son hasn't been on it for 2yrs now and has gained weight well ever since.

Good luck -

U

usedtobeinca

We only have experience with the naso-gastric (NG) tube. Our little guy had one intermittently to gain weight in his first three months. It would be important to ask your CF docs if they're referring to an NG tube or the other more long-term tubes referenced by the other posters.

The NG-tube is often inserted by the medical staff, though if can be done at home. It's a fexible tube about the diameter of a pencil lead - and is inserted into one nostril, then down the throat into the stomach. The external portion is typically adhered to the cheek and trails back behind the child's head. This portion is connected to a feeding tube, bag and pump usually hung from an IV post. We used the tube for night feeds only.

Sounds like a lot I'm sure. Obviously it's better not to need it. But our son hasn't been on it for 2yrs now and has gained weight well ever since.

Good luck -

U

usedtobeinca

Good luck -

U

usedtobeinca

Good luck -

U

usedtobeinca

<br />
<br />The NG-tube is often inserted by the medical staff, though if can be done at home. It's a fexible tube about the diameter of a pencil lead - and is inserted into one nostril, then down the throat into the stomach. The external portion is typically adhered to the cheek and trails back behind the child's head. This portion is connected to a feeding tube, bag and pump usually hung from an IV post. We used the tube for night feeds only.
<br />
<br />Sounds like a lot I'm sure. Obviously it's better not to need it. But our son hasn't been on it for 2yrs now and has gained weight well ever since.
<br />
<br />Good luck -