feeling rebellious sometimes.

mamerth

There are days when "I just don't wanna". I get back in the routine (treatments) in a day or two and I wonder why I was being so stubborn. It is no fun having this illness and I think we owe it to ourselves to indulge in one in a blue moon " I don't wanna" but don't recommend making it a regular practice. I had a "I don't wanna" attitude towards my lung treatments for a few years and lost a lot of ground that I can't get back.

Solo

Well I hate to fall into a mind-numbing routine, so I like to mix it up a bit. Some days I feel good lung-wise, so I totally skip the treatment; for the morning anyway. I only skipped my digestive enzymes a few times, to prove something to myself, but taking them is as natural as walking.

I felt rebellious against CF, well probably more to authority, when I was in my late teens. I think just about everyone goes through the motions of that stage. I'm tired of doing all that, especially worrying about low or high blood sugars, and I only skimp on things I CAN skimp on. Like my lungs are in pretty decent shape, so I can afford to skip a treatment or 2, but my pancreas is pretty much shot, and that's not going to change, so I cannot afford to skimp on insulin.

Solo

Well I hate to fall into a mind-numbing routine, so I like to mix it up a bit. Some days I feel good lung-wise, so I totally skip the treatment; for the morning anyway. I only skipped my digestive enzymes a few times, to prove something to myself, but taking them is as natural as walking.

I felt rebellious against CF, well probably more to authority, when I was in my late teens. I think just about everyone goes through the motions of that stage. I'm tired of doing all that, especially worrying about low or high blood sugars, and I only skimp on things I CAN skimp on. Like my lungs are in pretty decent shape, so I can afford to skip a treatment or 2, but my pancreas is pretty much shot, and that's not going to change, so I cannot afford to skimp on insulin.

Solo

<br />
<br />I felt rebellious against CF, well probably more to authority, when I was in my late teens. I think just about everyone goes through the motions of that stage. I'm tired of doing all that, especially worrying about low or high blood sugars, and I only skimp on things I CAN skimp on. Like my lungs are in pretty decent shape, so I can afford to skip a treatment or 2, but my pancreas is pretty much shot, and that's not going to change, so I cannot afford to skimp on insulin.

NYCLawGirl

i'm not a med skipper (post-tx that's a SUPER bad idea, lol) and i was never much of a treatment skipper pre-tx, but i AM a huge proponent of the occasional "break for life." if i want to go out and i know that it will cost me some energy, i'm still likely to do it. if it's a little crowded on the streets at christmas and i have a weak immune system, chances are i'm still going to be outside. and if there might be a child with a runny nose at the movie theater, well...i'll wash my hands, but i'm going to the movie. period.

i was acting sort of worried about this once and my doc at the time looked at me funny and basically said "NO ONE ever does everything right from a health perspective and doctors know that, so why should we always expect CF patients to?" when you think about it, she was right. everyone eats candy sometimes when they should eat a salad, or chooses to skip a workout here and there. even the most dedicated health nut probably has nights when he/she doesn't get enough sleep, or touches an elevator button without washing hands before and after. it's called life...and it just happens.

so yeah, my theory on this one is try not to self-sabotage, but if you're friends invite you out and you want to take them up on it then do it. there's more to being "healthy" than just taking care of your physical body.

NYCLawGirl

i'm not a med skipper (post-tx that's a SUPER bad idea, lol) and i was never much of a treatment skipper pre-tx, but i AM a huge proponent of the occasional "break for life." if i want to go out and i know that it will cost me some energy, i'm still likely to do it. if it's a little crowded on the streets at christmas and i have a weak immune system, chances are i'm still going to be outside. and if there might be a child with a runny nose at the movie theater, well...i'll wash my hands, but i'm going to the movie. period.

i was acting sort of worried about this once and my doc at the time looked at me funny and basically said "NO ONE ever does everything right from a health perspective and doctors know that, so why should we always expect CF patients to?" when you think about it, she was right. everyone eats candy sometimes when they should eat a salad, or chooses to skip a workout here and there. even the most dedicated health nut probably has nights when he/she doesn't get enough sleep, or touches an elevator button without washing hands before and after. it's called life...and it just happens.

so yeah, my theory on this one is try not to self-sabotage, but if you're friends invite you out and you want to take them up on it then do it. there's more to being "healthy" than just taking care of your physical body.

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />i was acting sort of worried about this once and my doc at the time looked at me funny and basically said "NO ONE ever does everything right from a health perspective and doctors know that, so why should we always expect CF patients to?" when you think about it, she was right. everyone eats candy sometimes when they should eat a salad, or chooses to skip a workout here and there. even the most dedicated health nut probably has nights when he/she doesn't get enough sleep, or touches an elevator button without washing hands before and after. it's called life...and it just happens.
<br />
<br />so yeah, my theory on this one is try not to self-sabotage, but if you're friends invite you out and you want to take them up on it then do it. there's more to being "healthy" than just taking care of your physical body.

ej0820

yes.

I often won't skimp on insulin, just because my sugars go crazy (though I've been taken off of insulin for the time being), and lately I've just been plain forgetting to take my enzymes (25 years old and I still forget...go figure). But I will skip a vest or neb here and there. Right now, I'm on IVs and have been for 2 months. They are a pain in my butt and I'll skip one here and there, too. Skipping an IV means I will have the opportunity to eat something without feeling nauseous and will allow me to go to the bathroom regularly for a day. When I skip my vest or nebs, I do notice it so I sometimes guilt myself into not skipping a treatment. But I do do it.

All of your replies here make me feel so much better. I feel a little more normal, haha.

ej0820

yes.

I often won't skimp on insulin, just because my sugars go crazy (though I've been taken off of insulin for the time being), and lately I've just been plain forgetting to take my enzymes (25 years old and I still forget...go figure). But I will skip a vest or neb here and there. Right now, I'm on IVs and have been for 2 months. They are a pain in my butt and I'll skip one here and there, too. Skipping an IV means I will have the opportunity to eat something without feeling nauseous and will allow me to go to the bathroom regularly for a day. When I skip my vest or nebs, I do notice it so I sometimes guilt myself into not skipping a treatment. But I do do it.

All of your replies here make me feel so much better. I feel a little more normal, haha.

ej0820

yes.
<br />
<br />I often won't skimp on insulin, just because my sugars go crazy (though I've been taken off of insulin for the time being), and lately I've just been plain forgetting to take my enzymes (25 years old and I still forget...go figure). But I will skip a vest or neb here and there. Right now, I'm on IVs and have been for 2 months. They are a pain in my butt and I'll skip one here and there, too. Skipping an IV means I will have the opportunity to eat something without feeling nauseous and will allow me to go to the bathroom regularly for a day. When I skip my vest or nebs, I do notice it so I sometimes guilt myself into not skipping a treatment. But I do do it.
<br />
<br />All of your replies here make me feel so much better. I feel a little more normal, haha.