FEV1%?

longhorn4life

An FEV1 of 80-100% is considered normal for the average person and it's based off of inidvidual height/weight/nationality/age measurements. 60% is below normal, but is common for people with CF. I know that at my last visit to the CF clinic they said I was the "Star of the Day" because my FEV1 was 100% and they said it was way above anyone else who had come in that day, meaning a "normal" reading isn't generally expected for most CFers. In my opinion, the FEV1 score isn't all doctors make it craacked up to be. I constantly tell them that I still have trouble breathing 24/7 and they just say that I shouldn't be and move on because my PFTs are always 97-100%. So I say forget the number and just base everything off of how you feel.

longhorn4life

An FEV1 of 80-100% is considered normal for the average person and it's based off of inidvidual height/weight/nationality/age measurements. 60% is below normal, but is common for people with CF. I know that at my last visit to the CF clinic they said I was the "Star of the Day" because my FEV1 was 100% and they said it was way above anyone else who had come in that day, meaning a "normal" reading isn't generally expected for most CFers. In my opinion, the FEV1 score isn't all doctors make it craacked up to be. I constantly tell them that I still have trouble breathing 24/7 and they just say that I shouldn't be and move on because my PFTs are always 97-100%. So I say forget the number and just base everything off of how you feel.

longhorn4life

AimeeSue82

Diane,
The above responses have answered your question, but more importantly than your number is: how do you feel? While the numbers are a decent measurement, the way you feel is far more important. Some people can be 60% and feel great, others can be at 60% and feel horrible. There is rarely a "normal" with this disease; everyone is different. I noticed you're 26 years old, how did you make it to that age without every being told what FEV1 is? Were you just recently diagnosed? If you're ever at clinic again and don't understand what your dr is talking about--- YOU NEED TO ASK! You're health could be at risk if you don't.

~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

AimeeSue82

Diane,
The above responses have answered your question, but more importantly than your number is: how do you feel? While the numbers are a decent measurement, the way you feel is far more important. Some people can be 60% and feel great, others can be at 60% and feel horrible. There is rarely a "normal" with this disease; everyone is different. I noticed you're 26 years old, how did you make it to that age without every being told what FEV1 is? Were you just recently diagnosed? If you're ever at clinic again and don't understand what your dr is talking about--- YOU NEED TO ASK! You're health could be at risk if you don't.

~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

AimeeSue82

Diane,
<br />The above responses have answered your question, but more importantly than your number is: how do you feel? While the numbers are a decent measurement, the way you feel is far more important. Some people can be 60% and feel great, others can be at 60% and feel horrible. There is rarely a "normal" with this disease; everyone is different. I noticed you're 26 years old, how did you make it to that age without every being told what FEV1 is? Were you just recently diagnosed? If you're ever at clinic again and don't understand what your dr is talking about--- YOU NEED TO ASK! You're health could be at risk if you don't.
<br />
<br />~Aimee, 28 CF w/ PA & MRSA

W

windex125

I am in awe of people who post that their FEv1 is so high, just amazing mine has been in the high 40's for yrs. now I miss alot f things that take alot of air like dancing I loved to dance esp. slasa which is very fast. AHHH to breath with no problems. I won't list the other things I miss. LOL but you always find a compromise for sure.Pat-56/CF

W

windex125

I am in awe of people who post that their FEv1 is so high, just amazing mine has been in the high 40's for yrs. now I miss alot f things that take alot of air like dancing I loved to dance esp. slasa which is very fast. AHHH to breath with no problems. I won't list the other things I miss. LOL but you always find a compromise for sure.Pat-56/CF

W

windex125

scanboyd

I really did not have a problem with getting enough O2 in my blood (low sats) until I had a fev1 of 40 or so, now down to Fev1 of 31. I really do not feel any difference now as to when it was in the 60s or so some 10 yrs except (drop in sats SOB) when doing manual things, like moving something heavy, walking up steep incline at a good pace, pushing mower. As of now no O2, I still do a 15 min mile on a grade of 4 on treadmill for 2 miles with no O2, heart rate around 128, sat drops to 89 or so at the end of 2 miles. My resting sat is 97-98, I push my self because I think it is important to push your self to max to make your lungs do as much as they can so they will last as long as possible.

Most CFers I have read loose about 3% lung function (fev1) per yr. do not know if this is so, because at age 62 I would not have any lung funciton at all.

scanboyd

I really did not have a problem with getting enough O2 in my blood (low sats) until I had a fev1 of 40 or so, now down to Fev1 of 31. I really do not feel any difference now as to when it was in the 60s or so some 10 yrs except (drop in sats SOB) when doing manual things, like moving something heavy, walking up steep incline at a good pace, pushing mower. As of now no O2, I still do a 15 min mile on a grade of 4 on treadmill for 2 miles with no O2, heart rate around 128, sat drops to 89 or so at the end of 2 miles. My resting sat is 97-98, I push my self because I think it is important to push your self to max to make your lungs do as much as they can so they will last as long as possible.

Most CFers I have read loose about 3% lung function (fev1) per yr. do not know if this is so, because at age 62 I would not have any lung funciton at all.

scanboyd

<br />
<br />Most CFers I have read loose about 3% lung function (fev1) per yr. do not know if this is so, because at age 62 I would not have any lung funciton at all.

Havoc

I would only add, don't look at percent, look at the actual number (in L/sec). Percentages can vary widely between what algorithm they use, which machine they use, or if they get lazy and screw up your height or weight. Another value to keep track of is the FEV75/25, which gives you a good idea of how your small airways are doing.

Havoc

I would only add, don't look at percent, look at the actual number (in L/sec). Percentages can vary widely between what algorithm they use, which machine they use, or if they get lazy and screw up your height or weight. Another value to keep track of is the FEV75/25, which gives you a good idea of how your small airways are doing.

Havoc