Finally Diagnosed!!

Alyssa

So what did they finally decide about him having two genes? did you and your husband get tested?

As far as what to expect... plan for a long visit ...like to the tune of 4 hours or so - bring snacks and entertainment (books/toys etc). Bring a note pad for notes, or a voice recorder. You will meet a lot of different people. You may have a wait in between people or at the lab.
<b>
Nurse -</b> she will explain a lot, she will most likely do a throat swab (for culture), take height, weight and blood pressure etc.

<b>Doctor -</b> will likely give you an overview of CF, ask a lot of health questions, then go over his recommendations for treatments
<b>
Social worker -</b> will ask about home life (who lives in the household, who is working, is someone at home, does the child go to daycare) etc to get an idea if you will need help caring for your child and will ask you about health insurance and possibly financial assistance if necessary... it is also their roll to get the parent/patient always planning for the future... kids grow up, go to college, get married so on and so forth.

<b>Dietitian -</b> will calculate BMI and ask about food/calorie intake and will advise about enzymes and extra calorie intake if needed.

<b>Respiratory therapist -</b> will do the PFT's (depending on the age of the child and equipment available) they are also the ones to explain how to do the breathing treatments (sometimes the nurses do this as well)

You will likely have to move from one place to another for the PFT's and lab work, then back to your exam room.

The whole day will be overwhelming ! Even after dealing with my daughter's treatments for several years, for some reason after starting treatments for my son I felt overwhelmed ! So just know you are not alone there.

Take your own hand sanitizer and use it generously. Wash your hands whenever possible, especially after leaving the clinic. How old is your child? If appropriate, bring your own toys, books etc so he isn't tempted to play with things in the waiting room.

Best wishes !

Alyssa

So what did they finally decide about him having two genes? did you and your husband get tested?

As far as what to expect... plan for a long visit ...like to the tune of 4 hours or so - bring snacks and entertainment (books/toys etc). Bring a note pad for notes, or a voice recorder. You will meet a lot of different people. You may have a wait in between people or at the lab.
<b>
Nurse -</b> she will explain a lot, she will most likely do a throat swab (for culture), take height, weight and blood pressure etc.

<b>Doctor -</b> will likely give you an overview of CF, ask a lot of health questions, then go over his recommendations for treatments
<b>
Social worker -</b> will ask about home life (who lives in the household, who is working, is someone at home, does the child go to daycare) etc to get an idea if you will need help caring for your child and will ask you about health insurance and possibly financial assistance if necessary... it is also their roll to get the parent/patient always planning for the future... kids grow up, go to college, get married so on and so forth.

<b>Dietitian -</b> will calculate BMI and ask about food/calorie intake and will advise about enzymes and extra calorie intake if needed.

<b>Respiratory therapist -</b> will do the PFT's (depending on the age of the child and equipment available) they are also the ones to explain how to do the breathing treatments (sometimes the nurses do this as well)

You will likely have to move from one place to another for the PFT's and lab work, then back to your exam room.

The whole day will be overwhelming ! Even after dealing with my daughter's treatments for several years, for some reason after starting treatments for my son I felt overwhelmed ! So just know you are not alone there.

Take your own hand sanitizer and use it generously. Wash your hands whenever possible, especially after leaving the clinic. How old is your child? If appropriate, bring your own toys, books etc so he isn't tempted to play with things in the waiting room.

Best wishes !

Alyssa

<b>

<b>

Best wishes !

Alyssa

<b>

<b>

Best wishes !

Alyssa

<br />
<br />As far as what to expect... plan for a long visit ...like to the tune of 4 hours or so - bring snacks and entertainment (books/toys etc). Bring a note pad for notes, or a voice recorder. You will meet a lot of different people. You may have a wait in between people or at the lab.
<br /><b>
<br />Nurse -</b> she will explain a lot, she will most likely do a throat swab (for culture), take height, weight and blood pressure etc.
<br />
<br /><b>Doctor -</b> will likely give you an overview of CF, ask a lot of health questions, then go over his recommendations for treatments
<br /><b>
<br />Social worker -</b> will ask about home life (who lives in the household, who is working, is someone at home, does the child go to daycare) etc to get an idea if you will need help caring for your child and will ask you about health insurance and possibly financial assistance if necessary... it is also their roll to get the parent/patient always planning for the future... kids grow up, go to college, get married so on and so forth.
<br />
<br /><b>Dietitian -</b> will calculate BMI and ask about food/calorie intake and will advise about enzymes and extra calorie intake if needed.
<br />
<br /><b>Respiratory therapist -</b> will do the PFT's (depending on the age of the child and equipment available) they are also the ones to explain how to do the breathing treatments (sometimes the nurses do this as well)
<br />
<br />You will likely have to move from one place to another for the PFT's and lab work, then back to your exam room.
<br />
<br />The whole day will be overwhelming ! Even after dealing with my daughter's treatments for several years, for some reason after starting treatments for my son I felt overwhelmed ! So just know you are not alone there.
<br />
<br />Take your own hand sanitizer and use it generously. Wash your hands whenever possible, especially after leaving the clinic. How old is your child? If appropriate, bring your own toys, books etc so he isn't tempted to play with things in the waiting room.
<br />
<br />Best wishes !

holmfamily1992

Sometimes you wonder if the right hand knows what the left is doing. This whole process is scary and so abnormal from what we are used to. This is not only a change for my son but for the whole family as well. Our goal is to keep him as healthy as we can and we will do anything to achieve that.

As of right now, my husband and I were both tested. That was the only way to get the CF DX because of the the mutation that he has. We found out that I am the one with the actual mutation (R117H) and my husband has all the TG repeats. So now, we are in the process of having our other 7 children genetically tested to find out where they stand. We are completely aware of the chances of some of our other children haveing the disease and are ready to run with it.

Sometimes I am completely depressed about this whole thing but then the mom in me kicks in and justs powers through. You know, do whatever you have to do and dont think about the rest. I Cant even read the statics on life span because that just sends my own anxiety soaring. The way I look at it is, with all the new research that is being done, the life expectancy can only increase. Its very hard explaining what is going on with his school and other family members because I get the same look everytime. That look of concern and hopelessness. I dont feel that way. I understand what we are up against and I choose to believe that there isnt anything we can do about what is happening and there is no point in dwelling on "the bad news". We will do his treatments and do anything in our power to keep him healthy, and if his health declines we will take the next step and the next step. We have to, this is our son, our family.

As for our Dylan, his is a nine year old little boy who doesnt quite understand what is going on. When we ask him what CF is, he understands that it is something to do with his breathing and poor weight gain. As adults,we know its much more but as a child its hard for him to understand all the complications that come with it. We dont try and make anything scary for him because this is all new. We try and focus on being as much as a normal boy as possible. And if problems occur, we deal with head on. He does like all the special treatment he does receive though.

Right now we are waiting for the fecal test results to come back. This will determine if he needs enzymes. Also, I went yesterday to fill his Pulmasyme script and my insurance wont pay for it. So we are waiting for Childrens Specail Health Services to kick in. We are also trying to come up with a 2500 calorie diet for him. One that will work for our family and not cost a whole lot. I am meeting with his Ped. to discuss perscription based calorie increasers so that our insurance will cover it.

Our clinic didnt have enough ambrey test kits for us to take back to our home town to have the other children tested so we are waiting for those in the mail so we can do it all at once. We walked out of the office with every single box they had. hehe..I think its funny that people start to scramble when there is more then 3 children involved.

I am so sorry this was so long but I just had to get it off my chest. I know that all of you know exactly how we feel and the fear we hold. That is something my friends here cant understand. There is so much that has happened to us in the last 2 years that I just sit and wonder sometimes what did we do to deserve this?? 2 years ago my husband had emergency back surgery which took him alomost 1 year to become semi normal. In that time we lost our main source of inocome and just recently we lost our family home due to forclosure. And the little boy I have been speaking of was bitten by a friends bull dog on the face which required more than 60 stitches. Its was a through and through. He will require plastic surgery when he is in his teens. This is just a few things that has gone on. so I can definatly say that the anti depressents and anti anxiety meds that I was on were completely needed. As for today, I am med free. I need to be able to think clearly and the meds didnt allow me to do that.

Thank you for listening, Tina

holmfamily1992

Sometimes you wonder if the right hand knows what the left is doing. This whole process is scary and so abnormal from what we are used to. This is not only a change for my son but for the whole family as well. Our goal is to keep him as healthy as we can and we will do anything to achieve that.

As of right now, my husband and I were both tested. That was the only way to get the CF DX because of the the mutation that he has. We found out that I am the one with the actual mutation (R117H) and my husband has all the TG repeats. So now, we are in the process of having our other 7 children genetically tested to find out where they stand. We are completely aware of the chances of some of our other children haveing the disease and are ready to run with it.

Sometimes I am completely depressed about this whole thing but then the mom in me kicks in and justs powers through. You know, do whatever you have to do and dont think about the rest. I Cant even read the statics on life span because that just sends my own anxiety soaring. The way I look at it is, with all the new research that is being done, the life expectancy can only increase. Its very hard explaining what is going on with his school and other family members because I get the same look everytime. That look of concern and hopelessness. I dont feel that way. I understand what we are up against and I choose to believe that there isnt anything we can do about what is happening and there is no point in dwelling on "the bad news". We will do his treatments and do anything in our power to keep him healthy, and if his health declines we will take the next step and the next step. We have to, this is our son, our family.

As for our Dylan, his is a nine year old little boy who doesnt quite understand what is going on. When we ask him what CF is, he understands that it is something to do with his breathing and poor weight gain. As adults,we know its much more but as a child its hard for him to understand all the complications that come with it. We dont try and make anything scary for him because this is all new. We try and focus on being as much as a normal boy as possible. And if problems occur, we deal with head on. He does like all the special treatment he does receive though.

Right now we are waiting for the fecal test results to come back. This will determine if he needs enzymes. Also, I went yesterday to fill his Pulmasyme script and my insurance wont pay for it. So we are waiting for Childrens Specail Health Services to kick in. We are also trying to come up with a 2500 calorie diet for him. One that will work for our family and not cost a whole lot. I am meeting with his Ped. to discuss perscription based calorie increasers so that our insurance will cover it.

Our clinic didnt have enough ambrey test kits for us to take back to our home town to have the other children tested so we are waiting for those in the mail so we can do it all at once. We walked out of the office with every single box they had. hehe..I think its funny that people start to scramble when there is more then 3 children involved.

I am so sorry this was so long but I just had to get it off my chest. I know that all of you know exactly how we feel and the fear we hold. That is something my friends here cant understand. There is so much that has happened to us in the last 2 years that I just sit and wonder sometimes what did we do to deserve this?? 2 years ago my husband had emergency back surgery which took him alomost 1 year to become semi normal. In that time we lost our main source of inocome and just recently we lost our family home due to forclosure. And the little boy I have been speaking of was bitten by a friends bull dog on the face which required more than 60 stitches. Its was a through and through. He will require plastic surgery when he is in his teens. This is just a few things that has gone on. so I can definatly say that the anti depressents and anti anxiety meds that I was on were completely needed. As for today, I am med free. I need to be able to think clearly and the meds didnt allow me to do that.

holmfamily1992

holmfamily1992

holmfamily1992

<br />
<br />As of right now, my husband and I were both tested. That was the only way to get the CF DX because of the the mutation that he has. We found out that I am the one with the actual mutation (R117H) and my husband has all the TG repeats. So now, we are in the process of having our other 7 children genetically tested to find out where they stand. We are completely aware of the chances of some of our other children haveing the disease and are ready to run with it.
<br />
<br />Sometimes I am completely depressed about this whole thing but then the mom in me kicks in and justs powers through. You know, do whatever you have to do and dont think about the rest. I Cant even read the statics on life span because that just sends my own anxiety soaring. The way I look at it is, with all the new research that is being done, the life expectancy can only increase. Its very hard explaining what is going on with his school and other family members because I get the same look everytime. That look of concern and hopelessness. I dont feel that way. I understand what we are up against and I choose to believe that there isnt anything we can do about what is happening and there is no point in dwelling on "the bad news". We will do his treatments and do anything in our power to keep him healthy, and if his health declines we will take the next step and the next step. We have to, this is our son, our family.
<br />
<br />As for our Dylan, his is a nine year old little boy who doesnt quite understand what is going on. When we ask him what CF is, he understands that it is something to do with his breathing and poor weight gain. As adults,we know its much more but as a child its hard for him to understand all the complications that come with it. We dont try and make anything scary for him because this is all new. We try and focus on being as much as a normal boy as possible. And if problems occur, we deal with head on. He does like all the special treatment he does receive though.
<br />
<br />Right now we are waiting for the fecal test results to come back. This will determine if he needs enzymes. Also, I went yesterday to fill his Pulmasyme script and my insurance wont pay for it. So we are waiting for Childrens Specail Health Services to kick in. We are also trying to come up with a 2500 calorie diet for him. One that will work for our family and not cost a whole lot. I am meeting with his Ped. to discuss perscription based calorie increasers so that our insurance will cover it.
<br />
<br />Our clinic didnt have enough ambrey test kits for us to take back to our home town to have the other children tested so we are waiting for those in the mail so we can do it all at once. We walked out of the office with every single box they had. hehe..I think its funny that people start to scramble when there is more then 3 children involved.
<br />
<br />I am so sorry this was so long but I just had to get it off my chest. I know that all of you know exactly how we feel and the fear we hold. That is something my friends here cant understand. There is so much that has happened to us in the last 2 years that I just sit and wonder sometimes what did we do to deserve this?? 2 years ago my husband had emergency back surgery which took him alomost 1 year to become semi normal. In that time we lost our main source of inocome and just recently we lost our family home due to forclosure. And the little boy I have been speaking of was bitten by a friends bull dog on the face which required more than 60 stitches. Its was a through and through. He will require plastic surgery when he is in his teens. This is just a few things that has gone on. so I can definatly say that the anti depressents and anti anxiety meds that I was on were completely needed. As for today, I am med free. I need to be able to think clearly and the meds didnt allow me to do that.
<br />
<br />Thank you for listening, Tina

JORDYSMOM

Oh Tina, you guys have been through so much.

My family has faced similar things over the last few years. We lost our home, and my husband and his father were both layed off from their jobs. They worked for the same company. That meant that family couldn't really help us financially. Our son underwent a major spine surgery, so I understand the tough recovery there. It was during pre-surgery testing that we found out he has CF. I lost my job during that time, and dealing with the diagnosis of this crappy disease just compounds the problems. I know a thing or two about the depression and anxiety.

I think you have a very healthy view of your situation. People who don't have to deal with this on a daily basis, just don't get it. I suppose they really can't fully comprehend it. If we weren't forced to do it, we'd be the same way, I'm sure. It's hard feeling so alone in the world. This site has been my saving grace. I hope it is as helpful to you. If you ever just want to talk, PM me. We seem to have a few things in common.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

My family has faced similar things over the last few years. We lost our home, and my husband and his father were both layed off from their jobs. They worked for the same company. That meant that family couldn't really help us financially. Our son underwent a major spine surgery, so I understand the tough recovery there. It was during pre-surgery testing that we found out he has CF. I lost my job during that time, and dealing with the diagnosis of this crappy disease just compounds the problems. I know a thing or two about the depression and anxiety.

I think you have a very healthy view of your situation. People who don't have to deal with this on a daily basis, just don't get it. I suppose they really can't fully comprehend it. If we weren't forced to do it, we'd be the same way, I'm sure. It's hard feeling so alone in the world. This site has been my saving grace. I hope it is as helpful to you. If you ever just want to talk, PM me. We seem to have a few things in common.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />My family has faced similar things over the last few years. We lost our home, and my husband and his father were both layed off from their jobs. They worked for the same company. That meant that family couldn't really help us financially. Our son underwent a major spine surgery, so I understand the tough recovery there. It was during pre-surgery testing that we found out he has CF. I lost my job during that time, and dealing with the diagnosis of this crappy disease just compounds the problems. I know a thing or two about the depression and anxiety.
<br />
<br />I think you have a very healthy view of your situation. People who don't have to deal with this on a daily basis, just don't get it. I suppose they really can't fully comprehend it. If we weren't forced to do it, we'd be the same way, I'm sure. It's hard feeling so alone in the world. This site has been my saving grace. I hope it is as helpful to you. If you ever just want to talk, PM me. We seem to have a few things in common.
<br />
<br />Stacey