Flu vaccine?

maureen

I'm obviously in the minority here, but my family doesn't get the flu shot. My son w/ CF turned 2 in August. We did all get it last year (including him) b/c I thought since he was <2 he was more likely to have complications if he did get it. But I don't plan on anyone getting it this year. Contrary to what some other posts have said, it's only 50% effective in any given year and it's not like you "store up" immunity for every strain you've ever gotten exposed to. My family (including Gus) has always been VERY healthy...I believe in building up your immune system naturally by being exposed to life. In addition, I give Gus probiotics to help keep his natural intestinal bacteria in balance. FYI, 70% of your immune system is mediated through your gut. Anyway, just my opinion. And definitely open to revision should Gus start to get sick. Hope this helps.

maureen

I'm obviously in the minority here, but my family doesn't get the flu shot. My son w/ CF turned 2 in August. We did all get it last year (including him) b/c I thought since he was <2 he was more likely to have complications if he did get it. But I don't plan on anyone getting it this year. Contrary to what some other posts have said, it's only 50% effective in any given year and it's not like you "store up" immunity for every strain you've ever gotten exposed to. My family (including Gus) has always been VERY healthy...I believe in building up your immune system naturally by being exposed to life. In addition, I give Gus probiotics to help keep his natural intestinal bacteria in balance. FYI, 70% of your immune system is mediated through your gut. Anyway, just my opinion. And definitely open to revision should Gus start to get sick. Hope this helps.

maureen

maureen

maureen

kitomd21

I spoke to our pediatrician about the flu shot in general. He said that some years "they" are right on in with the viruses that the vaccine is made from...other years, they are way off. He said that last year was a horrible year for the vaccine as they didn't "choose" the correct viruses to protect against. They essentially view the viruses during the winter months in other countries when it is actually summer in the U.S. and decide which top viruses may be an issue once they get here. They are basically guessing regarding the manufacture of the vaccine and are hopefully correct in finding the seemingly dominant viruses as seen in other parts of the world. Our pediatrician said that this year's vaccine is looking to be "better" than last year's...I'm still apprehensive, however....and, no, you do not "store" immunity in the event that they were incorrect in whichever viruses have been used for the vaccine.

kitomd21

I spoke to our pediatrician about the flu shot in general. He said that some years "they" are right on in with the viruses that the vaccine is made from...other years, they are way off. He said that last year was a horrible year for the vaccine as they didn't "choose" the correct viruses to protect against. They essentially view the viruses during the winter months in other countries when it is actually summer in the U.S. and decide which top viruses may be an issue once they get here. They are basically guessing regarding the manufacture of the vaccine and are hopefully correct in finding the seemingly dominant viruses as seen in other parts of the world. Our pediatrician said that this year's vaccine is looking to be "better" than last year's...I'm still apprehensive, however....and, no, you do not "store" immunity in the event that they were incorrect in whichever viruses have been used for the vaccine.

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

<br />
<br />
<br />