For thos that still do manual chest pt

humphrey711

What is your protocol? HOw often do you do it and for how long? How old is your child?

Here is my situation. My daughter is 2 and we do manual pt at least five times a week. I try for seven days a week but that doesn't always work. She will only me do her back so I have to get under her arms or on her chest. I do it for about two and a half minutes on each side and then shaker her. My clinic has not indicated that I need to increase or change my method.

Whad do you think? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Karen

humphrey711

What is your protocol? HOw often do you do it and for how long? How old is your child?

Here is my situation. My daughter is 2 and we do manual pt at least five times a week. I try for seven days a week but that doesn't always work. She will only me do her back so I have to get under her arms or on her chest. I do it for about two and a half minutes on each side and then shaker her. My clinic has not indicated that I need to increase or change my method.

Karen

humphrey711

Karen

humphrey711

Karen

humphrey711

<br />
<br />Here is my situation. My daughter is 2 and we do manual pt at least five times a week. I try for seven days a week but that doesn't always work. She will only me do her back so I have to get under her arms or on her chest. I do it for about two and a half minutes on each side and then shaker her. My clinic has not indicated that I need to increase or change my method.
<br />
<br />Whad do you think? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
<br />
<br />Karen

JazzysMom

Its a bit different for an adult I suppose, but I know the procedure/guidelines/protocol from our clinic hasnt altered much over the years.

We are taught to do each segment (total of 8 segments) for 2 minutes each followed by vibrations for each. Often when we are feeling better we double up on the sides instead of doing the upper then the lower & sometimes if the person is tiny like with a child this will happen.

In the hospital we would get it 3 times a day totally about 1 hour with nebs, CPT & coughing (use to be 5 coughs & spits).

She probably doesnt mind the back because IMHO it is very relaxing which is one reason we save it for the last position. The chest & upper lobes are just as important tho.

Although any CPT is good.....it doesnt help the smaller airways that get clogged easier if you are not focused on each section.

I know it must be hard at her age, but if you instill it in her now....it will be easier in the long run. This is why many people invest in the VEST.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Its a bit different for an adult I suppose, but I know the procedure/guidelines/protocol from our clinic hasnt altered much over the years.

We are taught to do each segment (total of 8 segments) for 2 minutes each followed by vibrations for each. Often when we are feeling better we double up on the sides instead of doing the upper then the lower & sometimes if the person is tiny like with a child this will happen.

In the hospital we would get it 3 times a day totally about 1 hour with nebs, CPT & coughing (use to be 5 coughs & spits).

She probably doesnt mind the back because IMHO it is very relaxing which is one reason we save it for the last position. The chest & upper lobes are just as important tho.

Although any CPT is good.....it doesnt help the smaller airways that get clogged easier if you are not focused on each section.

I know it must be hard at her age, but if you instill it in her now....it will be easier in the long run. This is why many people invest in the VEST.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />We are taught to do each segment (total of 8 segments) for 2 minutes each followed by vibrations for each. Often when we are feeling better we double up on the sides instead of doing the upper then the lower & sometimes if the person is tiny like with a child this will happen.
<br />
<br />In the hospital we would get it 3 times a day totally about 1 hour with nebs, CPT & coughing (use to be 5 coughs & spits).
<br />
<br />She probably doesnt mind the back because IMHO it is very relaxing which is one reason we save it for the last position. The chest & upper lobes are just as important tho.
<br />
<br />Although any CPT is good.....it doesnt help the smaller airways that get clogged easier if you are not focused on each section.
<br />
<br />I know it must be hard at her age, but if you instill it in her now....it will be easier in the long run. This is why many people invest in the VEST.
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

babyluke

We use the vest now-our son is 22 months old and very hard to keep still. But when we did CPT manually we did it twice a day for 30 minutes--around the same time as his breathing treatments. If we did extra breathing treatments, we also did extra CPT. We did his back for about 10 minutes, his chest for about 10 minutes and each side for about 5 minutes a piece. I sometimes found it easier to sit in my husbands recliner with my legs up. That way I could lay him long ways on my legs and tuck his legs with my arm while I beat on him.

babyluke

We use the vest now-our son is 22 months old and very hard to keep still. But when we did CPT manually we did it twice a day for 30 minutes--around the same time as his breathing treatments. If we did extra breathing treatments, we also did extra CPT. We did his back for about 10 minutes, his chest for about 10 minutes and each side for about 5 minutes a piece. I sometimes found it easier to sit in my husbands recliner with my legs up. That way I could lay him long ways on my legs and tuck his legs with my arm while I beat on him.

babyluke

babyluke

babyluke

crickit715

really surprised your clinic has said anything about the chest pt....ours stressed at least 2x daily 2min on each section, the total time lasted about 20min. i was always told compliance to frequent pt was one of the most important pieces of cf care!

crickit715

really surprised your clinic has said anything about the chest pt....ours stressed at least 2x daily 2min on each section, the total time lasted about 20min. i was always told compliance to frequent pt was one of the most important pieces of cf care!

crickit715

crickit715

crickit715