For you unsporty people

Jellybaby

Hey,
So basically im wondering what you unsporty people do to keep fit?
Iv decided that i need to get a grip and get my lung function up because i really am so unfit but I know I'm capable of being better :)
I have a treadmill which use on and off but I need to train myself to be consistent with it and it is hard with school work etc but I know I need to make the time!
Do you guys have any tips any help would be great! :D

Beccamom

Have you tried a fitness class? I find I workout harder with someone else. I began karate with my daughter and really enjoy it. Kick boxing and Zumba are fun too. I put my classes on my calendar as appointments. I also find deals on www.livingsocial.com for inexpensive exercise classes.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I have a reading rack on my treadmill and read either magazines or my e-reader (kindle). Make time go by quickly.

kyeev

Hey,
So basically im wondering what you unsporty people do to keep fit?
Iv decided that i need to get a grip and get my lung function up because i really am so unfit but I know I'm capable of being better :)
I have a treadmill which use on and off but I need to train myself to be consistent with it and it is hard with school work etc but I know I need to make the time!
Do you guys have any tips any help would be great! :D

Doing weights can be a reasonable alternative, if you can't face pounding the streets/treadmill.
It can be addictive enough and you get a bit of an aerobic workout, especially if you join a gym with all the machines.
Plus you see results in about 2 weeks cos you get this nerve learning thing that has nothing to do with muscle power, that allows you to lift about 50% more weight from when you started.
e.g. you might manage 10kg dumbell lift with each arm the first day but in about 2 weeks you'll be amazed to be able to manage 15kg. The trainer told me it was my brain learning to manage the peripheral muscles more efficiently.

Little things like doing exercises during commercials or taking the stairs when you have the option, parking farther away in the parking lot, all add up to more exercise and more lung work! I also love the pumping iron tips. You can get cheap hand weights from walmart or target and do some exercises with videos on youtube or such. Wii Fitness also gets your heart pumping and lungs working harder. You can get cheap versions now that they've been out on the market for a while at used video game stores like Vintage Stock or something like that!

Jellybaby

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! Bought a set of hand weights today and ill try walking to start and build up to running....hopefully if I do it long enough ill grow to enjoy it! :)

B

bookperson

The way I do it is to put myself in situations where I have no choice but to work out. For example, my family only has one car. If my husband takes it to work, then I am forced to bike my daughter to school. I am always happy for the opportunity to do this, though if I had the choice I may opt for laziness. Another way includes being accountable to someone else for working out. For instance, set up a workout routine with a friend so bailing on the routine would be the equivalent of bailing on your friend. Situations where guilt is a factor also work well for me. I live in a moderately sized city, so I am pretty close to things like the grocery. I just have to consider the cost to the environment of using my car and the guilt makes it easy to decide to take that walk.

erock77

Is there a gym at your school? I find it helps me to have a routine and scheduled times when I go. Once I"m there I Have to exercise. I've struggled with this for years, it needs to be made a habit. and find something you like, or at least don't mind doing.

rtorres25

Unsporty person here :)

I don't usually enjoy exercise. I started a couple of years ago walking with a couple of friends first thing in the morning. We are now up to 4 miles in 1 hour. We try to do this at least 3 days a week. It is my social time as well as fitness time. I miss visiting with my friends if I miss our walking time. My PFT's have greatly improved :)

Vampy

I was advised to do Zumba. I am not fit at all, nor am I sporty. I get my exercise chasing a 6 year old with ADHD and ODD around!! That's plenty enough for me. With my husband only being home on weekends, all the duties is for me.