Fragrance and SIL again....

NYCLawGirl

this is off topic, so my apologies to the original poster here, but since it's mentioned in this thread i thought i'd go ahead and ask. nightwriter, if you don't mid my asking, are you PI? i only ask b/c i have a close cf friend (not myself) who is PI and has been told numerous times by various doctors that she should NOT go vegetarian. it's actually extremely important to her for moral reasons, but she is also (obviously) very concerned about keeping herelf as healthy as possible, esp. in the face of recent declining lung function in her late 20s. if you have any suggestions or advice for her on a way to go about safely eating vegetarian -- something she could run by her doc -- i know she'd be grateful, and i'll direct her to the site so she can read it!

NYCLawGirl

this is off topic, so my apologies to the original poster here, but since it's mentioned in this thread i thought i'd go ahead and ask. nightwriter, if you don't mid my asking, are you PI? i only ask b/c i have a close cf friend (not myself) who is PI and has been told numerous times by various doctors that she should NOT go vegetarian. it's actually extremely important to her for moral reasons, but she is also (obviously) very concerned about keeping herelf as healthy as possible, esp. in the face of recent declining lung function in her late 20s. if you have any suggestions or advice for her on a way to go about safely eating vegetarian -- something she could run by her doc -- i know she'd be grateful, and i'll direct her to the site so she can read it!

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

Nightwriter

Piper,

I am pancreas sufficient -- at least as far as I know. Funny, I did have my gall bladder out -- which did seem strange to me at the time, not being overweight, and eating a pretty low fat diet. But I can eat anything, put on weight easily (never where you want), and take OTC digestive enzymes because my doctor thinks everyone should take them for the immune system. But if I skip the enzymes for weeks at a time because I run out, I feel the same. So I think you would call that P.S.

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Of course I couldn't say what effect it has had on my lungs -- I've been the sickest and the healthiest during this time. I do know that my doctor wanted me to supplement with fish oil which I was totally against for the longest time. But after my really sick period, I had fibromyalgia with bad pain in every joint after I started exercising. I tried flax seed oil instead, but when I still had pain switched to fish oil which I take now.

I do believe that when I first became vegetarian, I did not eat enough protein which I do now. And I take a B complex plus a good multi-vitamin. I never really talk about being a vegetarian here because I don't know if it is good for anyone else. But I do think for me it has worked well once I learned to eat right. I used to also have problems with being anemic, but that also is no longer a problem because I make sure I get iron through my multiple vitamin.

I guess if I were your friend, I would ask specifically why it would not be good for her to be a vegetarian. Is it because of anemia? Lack of B vitamins? Do they think she won't put on weight -- although there are plenty of overweight vegetarians. What meat do they want her to eat and what do red meat, chicken etc. have that you can't through vegetarian protein sources? I understand why fish is good for you, but I would like to hear their explanation. Again, I do not encourage anyone to be a vegetarian. It is a personal choice for me.

Nightwriter

Piper,

I am pancreas sufficient -- at least as far as I know. Funny, I did have my gall bladder out -- which did seem strange to me at the time, not being overweight, and eating a pretty low fat diet. But I can eat anything, put on weight easily (never where you want), and take OTC digestive enzymes because my doctor thinks everyone should take them for the immune system. But if I skip the enzymes for weeks at a time because I run out, I feel the same. So I think you would call that P.S.

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Of course I couldn't say what effect it has had on my lungs -- I've been the sickest and the healthiest during this time. I do know that my doctor wanted me to supplement with fish oil which I was totally against for the longest time. But after my really sick period, I had fibromyalgia with bad pain in every joint after I started exercising. I tried flax seed oil instead, but when I still had pain switched to fish oil which I take now.

I do believe that when I first became vegetarian, I did not eat enough protein which I do now. And I take a B complex plus a good multi-vitamin. I never really talk about being a vegetarian here because I don't know if it is good for anyone else. But I do think for me it has worked well once I learned to eat right. I used to also have problems with being anemic, but that also is no longer a problem because I make sure I get iron through my multiple vitamin.

I guess if I were your friend, I would ask specifically why it would not be good for her to be a vegetarian. Is it because of anemia? Lack of B vitamins? Do they think she won't put on weight -- although there are plenty of overweight vegetarians. What meat do they want her to eat and what do red meat, chicken etc. have that you can't through vegetarian protein sources? I understand why fish is good for you, but I would like to hear their explanation. Again, I do not encourage anyone to be a vegetarian. It is a personal choice for me.

Nightwriter

Piper,

Nightwriter

Piper,

Nightwriter

Piper,
<br />
<br />I am pancreas sufficient -- at least as far as I know. Funny, I did have my gall bladder out -- which did seem strange to me at the time, not being overweight, and eating a pretty low fat diet. But I can eat anything, put on weight easily (never where you want), and take OTC digestive enzymes because my doctor thinks everyone should take them for the immune system. But if I skip the enzymes for weeks at a time because I run out, I feel the same. So I think you would call that P.S.
<br />
<br />I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. Of course I couldn't say what effect it has had on my lungs -- I've been the sickest and the healthiest during this time. I do know that my doctor wanted me to supplement with fish oil which I was totally against for the longest time. But after my really sick period, I had fibromyalgia with bad pain in every joint after I started exercising. I tried flax seed oil instead, but when I still had pain switched to fish oil which I take now.
<br />
<br />I do believe that when I first became vegetarian, I did not eat enough protein which I do now. And I take a B complex plus a good multi-vitamin. I never really talk about being a vegetarian here because I don't know if it is good for anyone else. But I do think for me it has worked well once I learned to eat right. I used to also have problems with being anemic, but that also is no longer a problem because I make sure I get iron through my multiple vitamin.
<br />
<br />I guess if I were your friend, I would ask specifically why it would not be good for her to be a vegetarian. Is it because of anemia? Lack of B vitamins? Do they think she won't put on weight -- although there are plenty of overweight vegetarians. What meat do they want her to eat and what do red meat, chicken etc. have that you can't through vegetarian protein sources? I understand why fish is good for you, but I would like to hear their explanation. Again, I do not encourage anyone to be a vegetarian. It is a personal choice for me.

NYCLawGirl

thanks for the info nightwriter. i do think that her doc's reasoning has a lot to do with proteins and fat consumption -- to my knowledge his argument is that in order to gain the same amount of weight as a vegetarian, she would most likely have to eat more unhealthy snack foods, rather than adding "good" fats like meats and animal products. i would have to ask her for more details, which i'd be happy to do. maybe i'll start a separate thread to get some other viewpoints on this.

sorry again to lexisangels for hijacking your post. i'll give it back to you now and we can continue elsewhere.

NYCLawGirl

thanks for the info nightwriter. i do think that her doc's reasoning has a lot to do with proteins and fat consumption -- to my knowledge his argument is that in order to gain the same amount of weight as a vegetarian, she would most likely have to eat more unhealthy snack foods, rather than adding "good" fats like meats and animal products. i would have to ask her for more details, which i'd be happy to do. maybe i'll start a separate thread to get some other viewpoints on this.

sorry again to lexisangels for hijacking your post. i'll give it back to you now and we can continue elsewhere.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />sorry again to lexisangels for hijacking your post. i'll give it back to you now and we can continue elsewhere.

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

I am not defending your SIL however, maybe you could find out if she is using a liquid scented fabric softner in her wash. They can be very powerful. My husband has ALS and cannot even walk down the detergent aisle in the grocery store. She may not be using any perfume or lotion and might not have considered the detergent and softner she is using.

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

I am not defending your SIL however, maybe you could find out if she is using a liquid scented fabric softner in her wash. They can be very powerful. My husband has ALS and cannot even walk down the detergent aisle in the grocery store. She may not be using any perfume or lotion and might not have considered the detergent and softner she is using.

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting

N

NanaOf8GirlsAndCounting