Frustrated with "adult" transitions?

labellavita

Just wondering if anyone else is as pissed off as I am about the cff "mandating" that clinics branch off and have separate adult clinics... i know at some places this isn't a new idea, but when youve had the same dr for 18 years, why the hell would you want to switch to a new one who has only a few years experience on the subject?

im ranting because I just flew back to Massachusetts to see the dr I had when I was growing up. I dont live there anymore but the Drs i have where I currently am are doing nothing to help me, and the nursing staff at this hospital is really... poor. So, anyway. I go back, end up in the er from throwing up for three days before I get to schedule my appointment, and am told I MUST be put on the adult floor (where the nurses have been through a 1 week training seminar on cf... HA!) with a dr who has been working with them for 6 months, who impresses no confidence when I initially meet him, and am stuck with a lovely but noninformed pulmonary team. what a wonderful experience. I have severe digestive problems... because of massive scar tissue due to a botched surgery last year, plus colitis, plus bowel wall thickening, plus fibroids on my uterus... thus.. pain. their treatment course. miralax. apparently, having 7 bms a day is not the antithesis of constipation. my pfts went from 30 to mid 50s in 2 weeks, usually 70s after 2 weeks, stayed an extra 5 days, caught a cold and asked to leave if they weren't going to change the treatment course and try to find out what was causing the pain. guess what. i got discharged. amazing treatment, my friends. had to fly back to albuquerque sick. got to see the dr i intended to see once. got to see the cf dr i was forced to have... 2x... 3 including the meeting in the er.

obviously these people have been extensively trained in the treatment of cf... if cf means flush em with antibiotics and stool softeners & dont listen to a thing they say.

What bothers me is the forced transition nationwide is about stats... stats = funds. and i understand the importance. but the funds they're receiving aren't helping me any. i know that sounds selfish but at this point, after the past 2 years... i couldn't care less. because of the extremely poor care i've received locally by the "adult" cf team i have been hospitalized more than 18 times in the past 24 months. I've lost 15 pounds. Ive gone completely broke because I can't work. And after spending money on a trip back east to see a great doctor that i've known for 20 years, im told i cant because of some bs.

--

im dont ranting. but has anyone else had these horrible experiences? or am I just getting the crap end of the stick with my medical providers.

on a positive note. im moving to los angeles this summer... anyone have any recos on GOOD DOCTORS who know what theyre doing?!?

Thanks! =)

Seriously, sorry for the ranting and complaining. I just got a phone call from the clinic of the dr i dont like back east asking if i was going to make my appt tomorrow... I didn't want to cuss the lady out, so... I did to you all =)

labellavita

Just wondering if anyone else is as pissed off as I am about the cff "mandating" that clinics branch off and have separate adult clinics... i know at some places this isn't a new idea, but when youve had the same dr for 18 years, why the hell would you want to switch to a new one who has only a few years experience on the subject?

im ranting because I just flew back to Massachusetts to see the dr I had when I was growing up. I dont live there anymore but the Drs i have where I currently am are doing nothing to help me, and the nursing staff at this hospital is really... poor. So, anyway. I go back, end up in the er from throwing up for three days before I get to schedule my appointment, and am told I MUST be put on the adult floor (where the nurses have been through a 1 week training seminar on cf... HA!) with a dr who has been working with them for 6 months, who impresses no confidence when I initially meet him, and am stuck with a lovely but noninformed pulmonary team. what a wonderful experience. I have severe digestive problems... because of massive scar tissue due to a botched surgery last year, plus colitis, plus bowel wall thickening, plus fibroids on my uterus... thus.. pain. their treatment course. miralax. apparently, having 7 bms a day is not the antithesis of constipation. my pfts went from 30 to mid 50s in 2 weeks, usually 70s after 2 weeks, stayed an extra 5 days, caught a cold and asked to leave if they weren't going to change the treatment course and try to find out what was causing the pain. guess what. i got discharged. amazing treatment, my friends. had to fly back to albuquerque sick. got to see the dr i intended to see once. got to see the cf dr i was forced to have... 2x... 3 including the meeting in the er.

obviously these people have been extensively trained in the treatment of cf... if cf means flush em with antibiotics and stool softeners & dont listen to a thing they say.

What bothers me is the forced transition nationwide is about stats... stats = funds. and i understand the importance. but the funds they're receiving aren't helping me any. i know that sounds selfish but at this point, after the past 2 years... i couldn't care less. because of the extremely poor care i've received locally by the "adult" cf team i have been hospitalized more than 18 times in the past 24 months. I've lost 15 pounds. Ive gone completely broke because I can't work. And after spending money on a trip back east to see a great doctor that i've known for 20 years, im told i cant because of some bs.

--

im dont ranting. but has anyone else had these horrible experiences? or am I just getting the crap end of the stick with my medical providers.

on a positive note. im moving to los angeles this summer... anyone have any recos on GOOD DOCTORS who know what theyre doing?!?

Thanks! =)

Seriously, sorry for the ranting and complaining. I just got a phone call from the clinic of the dr i dont like back east asking if i was going to make my appt tomorrow... I didn't want to cuss the lady out, so... I did to you all =)

labellavita

--

Thanks! =)

labellavita

--

Thanks! =)

labellavita

<br />
<br />im ranting because I just flew back to Massachusetts to see the dr I had when I was growing up. I dont live there anymore but the Drs i have where I currently am are doing nothing to help me, and the nursing staff at this hospital is really... poor. So, anyway. I go back, end up in the er from throwing up for three days before I get to schedule my appointment, and am told I MUST be put on the adult floor (where the nurses have been through a 1 week training seminar on cf... HA!) with a dr who has been working with them for 6 months, who impresses no confidence when I initially meet him, and am stuck with a lovely but noninformed pulmonary team. what a wonderful experience. I have severe digestive problems... because of massive scar tissue due to a botched surgery last year, plus colitis, plus bowel wall thickening, plus fibroids on my uterus... thus.. pain. their treatment course. miralax. apparently, having 7 bms a day is not the antithesis of constipation. my pfts went from 30 to mid 50s in 2 weeks, usually 70s after 2 weeks, stayed an extra 5 days, caught a cold and asked to leave if they weren't going to change the treatment course and try to find out what was causing the pain. guess what. i got discharged. amazing treatment, my friends. had to fly back to albuquerque sick. got to see the dr i intended to see once. got to see the cf dr i was forced to have... 2x... 3 including the meeting in the er.
<br />
<br />obviously these people have been extensively trained in the treatment of cf... if cf means flush em with antibiotics and stool softeners & dont listen to a thing they say.
<br />
<br />What bothers me is the forced transition nationwide is about stats... stats = funds. and i understand the importance. but the funds they're receiving aren't helping me any. i know that sounds selfish but at this point, after the past 2 years... i couldn't care less. because of the extremely poor care i've received locally by the "adult" cf team i have been hospitalized more than 18 times in the past 24 months. I've lost 15 pounds. Ive gone completely broke because I can't work. And after spending money on a trip back east to see a great doctor that i've known for 20 years, im told i cant because of some bs.
<br />
<br />--
<br />
<br />im dont ranting. but has anyone else had these horrible experiences? or am I just getting the crap end of the stick with my medical providers.
<br />
<br />on a positive note. im moving to los angeles this summer... anyone have any recos on GOOD DOCTORS who know what theyre doing?!?
<br />
<br />Thanks! =)
<br />
<br />Seriously, sorry for the ranting and complaining. I just got a phone call from the clinic of the dr i dont like back east asking if i was going to make my appt tomorrow... I didn't want to cuss the lady out, so... I did to you all =)
<br />
<br />

T

theDUDE

Frustrated with "adult

to put it bluntly, yes i am just as pissed off as you. lol

T

theDUDE

Frustrated with "adult

T

theDUDE

Frustrated with "adult

T

theDUDE

Frustrated with "adult

T

theDUDE

Frustrated with "adult

RonnieSharpe

Frustrated with "adult

I'm about to feel your pain...I've had the same doc for 29 years and within the next two years, I have to go with an adult team. I'm of course hesitant, but they have been working with my docs for the last 6 months. It sucks that they are doing this but, gulp, I understand.

It sounds like the team you saw just sucked. I suggest finding a hospital nearby that has had an adult team for a few years. I heard Phoenix Good Sam hospital is good and I go to UMC in Tucson which is VERY good. It's still a peds team in Tucson for the time being.

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Frustrated with "adult

I'm about to feel your pain...I've had the same doc for 29 years and within the next two years, I have to go with an adult team. I'm of course hesitant, but they have been working with my docs for the last 6 months. It sucks that they are doing this but, gulp, I understand.

It sounds like the team you saw just sucked. I suggest finding a hospital nearby that has had an adult team for a few years. I heard Phoenix Good Sam hospital is good and I go to UMC in Tucson which is VERY good. It's still a peds team in Tucson for the time being.

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Frustrated with "adult

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Frustrated with "adult

Ronnie

RonnieSharpe

Frustrated with "adult

<br />
<br />It sounds like the team you saw just sucked. I suggest finding a hospital nearby that has had an adult team for a few years. I heard Phoenix Good Sam hospital is good and I go to UMC in Tucson which is VERY good. It's still a peds team in Tucson for the time being.
<br />
<br />Ronnie

soderick

Frustrated with "adult

I totally feel your pain! It makes sense that they want us to see adult docs, but adult CF care is relatively new, and adult centers are even newer. I made the change at 19 and have been uncomfortable ever since. After talking to several fellow CFers in my exact situation (same hospital, same docs, etc), I chose to change centers to one close by that has a great reputation. NEVER stick with a center that makes you uncomfortable!!!

soderick

Frustrated with "adult

I totally feel your pain! It makes sense that they want us to see adult docs, but adult CF care is relatively new, and adult centers are even newer. I made the change at 19 and have been uncomfortable ever since. After talking to several fellow CFers in my exact situation (same hospital, same docs, etc), I chose to change centers to one close by that has a great reputation. NEVER stick with a center that makes you uncomfortable!!!

soderick

Frustrated with "adult

soderick

Frustrated with "adult

soderick

Frustrated with "adult