Frustrated with "adult" transitions?

icefisherman

Frustrated with

I Had well two doctors most of my life, my first doctor retired when i was about 8 and the second once all the way through untill i was 16. then he wanted me to see the adult doctor and i never went back. I moved up north for a while and saw a cf doctor in albany, he put me in the hospital for two weeks, the usuall stuff. After my stay there i couldn't believe how much of a cluster f@%& the hospital was. the lady drawing my bloood was too late after my iv to get a good reeding 4 days in a row! They ended up giving up on taking my levels and just kept my dose the same. Not to mention i had to repeat all the things i told my doctor to every nurse that walked into my room. I thought that that's what was in those folders outside our rooms. So i went back for a follow up and that was it. I moved back to where i grew up and went to see the cf doctor i was supposed to see when i was 16. Same old story. he only had me in the hospital for a few days, but it was chaos also. First i got settled into a room, and then was moved because there was another cf'er on that floor. then i was put into a rooom with a guy on his deathbed, who died while i was there. No disrespect to the families of that man, but when his family was there 24/7 and the nurses wanted to know why i didn't sleep the first few days, I was just thinking OMG! I took them 4 days to get a picc line in me. The lady who did my bloodwork said that i would need a sedative before my picc (as i was told in albany, i don't do well with needles) SO the picc team came up, the sedative wasn't aproved they tried a couple times but my musles kept contracting so they couldn't send the picc down. So they told the doc i needed a sedative before i could get the picc. The next day the doc(not my reg doc, a diff. cf doc i have never met) came into the room with 5 or 6 students(i hate that). anyway he didn't think i looked anxious so he cancelled the seditive the picc team ordered the day before(of coarse i wasn't nervous, nobody was sticking tubes into my arm) Long story short i was supposed to get the picc line the first night or next morning and spend the rest of the time home, it was over 4 days to do this.
Well that was a rant, lol. I feel better now, but your not alone. What happened to the days of one doctor. I have tried to have a family doctor treat me, but they won't. they say i need to go to a cf clinic. G.D. liability, and modern day B.S. We are just products on the assembly line anymore.

icefisherman

Frustrated with

I Had well two doctors most of my life, my first doctor retired when i was about 8 and the second once all the way through untill i was 16. then he wanted me to see the adult doctor and i never went back. I moved up north for a while and saw a cf doctor in albany, he put me in the hospital for two weeks, the usuall stuff. After my stay there i couldn't believe how much of a cluster f@%& the hospital was. the lady drawing my bloood was too late after my iv to get a good reeding 4 days in a row! They ended up giving up on taking my levels and just kept my dose the same. Not to mention i had to repeat all the things i told my doctor to every nurse that walked into my room. I thought that that's what was in those folders outside our rooms. So i went back for a follow up and that was it. I moved back to where i grew up and went to see the cf doctor i was supposed to see when i was 16. Same old story. he only had me in the hospital for a few days, but it was chaos also. First i got settled into a room, and then was moved because there was another cf'er on that floor. then i was put into a rooom with a guy on his deathbed, who died while i was there. No disrespect to the families of that man, but when his family was there 24/7 and the nurses wanted to know why i didn't sleep the first few days, I was just thinking OMG! I took them 4 days to get a picc line in me. The lady who did my bloodwork said that i would need a sedative before my picc (as i was told in albany, i don't do well with needles) SO the picc team came up, the sedative wasn't aproved they tried a couple times but my musles kept contracting so they couldn't send the picc down. So they told the doc i needed a sedative before i could get the picc. The next day the doc(not my reg doc, a diff. cf doc i have never met) came into the room with 5 or 6 students(i hate that). anyway he didn't think i looked anxious so he cancelled the seditive the picc team ordered the day before(of coarse i wasn't nervous, nobody was sticking tubes into my arm) Long story short i was supposed to get the picc line the first night or next morning and spend the rest of the time home, it was over 4 days to do this.
Well that was a rant, lol. I feel better now, but your not alone. What happened to the days of one doctor. I have tried to have a family doctor treat me, but they won't. they say i need to go to a cf clinic. G.D. liability, and modern day B.S. We are just products on the assembly line anymore.

icefisherman

Frustrated with

icefisherman

Frustrated with

icefisherman

Frustrated with

<br />Well that was a rant, lol. I feel better now, but your not alone. What happened to the days of one doctor. I have tried to have a family doctor treat me, but they won't. they say i need to go to a cf clinic. G.D. liability, and modern day B.S. We are just products on the assembly line anymore.
<br />

serendipity730

Frustrated with

My two cents - I looked to leave my peds center @ 18. I was tired of being treated like a child (i.e. made to stay inpatient for the mandatory 5 days, even though I have been doing IV meds at home since age 9 - and was a college student!). I enjoy the freedom that my adult dr's grant me. It was a bit of a difficult transition - going from knowing everyone to not knowing anyone and learning the ropes. I think that you will find a difference between drs who are used to kids vs. adults - and I think you will find it to be a positive one.

Good luck!

serendipity730

Frustrated with

My two cents - I looked to leave my peds center @ 18. I was tired of being treated like a child (i.e. made to stay inpatient for the mandatory 5 days, even though I have been doing IV meds at home since age 9 - and was a college student!). I enjoy the freedom that my adult dr's grant me. It was a bit of a difficult transition - going from knowing everyone to not knowing anyone and learning the ropes. I think that you will find a difference between drs who are used to kids vs. adults - and I think you will find it to be a positive one.

Good luck!

serendipity730

Frustrated with

Good luck!

serendipity730

Frustrated with

Good luck!

serendipity730

Frustrated with

<br />
<br />Good luck!

labellavita

Frustrated with

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting to rip someones head off. I should have been more clear I think... I stopped seeing those drs when I was 18, I moved away, and because my care has been crap since then, i've seen over 5 different cf or pulmonary drs. Was not very pleased with any of them. So now (as in, TODAY) I am moving to NYC... without any health care set up. I know thats stupid. But since I haven't been seeing a doctor and I've only known about the move since Saturday, theres only so much I could do. So, now, my other question is... any reco's for a cf dr in ny? or a primary that takes medicaid?

Thanks!

labellavita

Frustrated with

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting to rip someones head off. I should have been more clear I think... I stopped seeing those drs when I was 18, I moved away, and because my care has been crap since then, i've seen over 5 different cf or pulmonary drs. Was not very pleased with any of them. So now (as in, TODAY) I am moving to NYC... without any health care set up. I know thats stupid. But since I haven't been seeing a doctor and I've only known about the move since Saturday, theres only so much I could do. So, now, my other question is... any reco's for a cf dr in ny? or a primary that takes medicaid?

Thanks!

labellavita

Frustrated with

Thanks!

labellavita

Frustrated with

Thanks!

labellavita

Frustrated with

<br />
<br />Thanks!