G-tube ooze

hmw

Thanks for the post re. the saline soaks- that sounds like a great idea to try when Emily gets these! She was getting a LOT of ooze and crusting in the weeks before her tube broke and needed to be replaced- I think it was leaking and therefore allowing leakage of stomach contents.
<br />
<br />She had a pretty large growth of granulation tissue once before but that was a different issue entirely than the crusty stuff and about 10 days of triamiconolone helped a lot. She's developing a bit of that again so I plan on starting it again. It comes in a huge tube so we have plenty for several rounds, but we were told not to use it for more than 2wks at a time since it can thin the skin with prolonged use.
<br />
<br />We get a box of split gauze every month with the rest of her feeding supplies but use them more for cleaning around the site rather than leaving them on long term (I agree a small amount of crustiness is normal and cleaning with a warm wet gauze as needed plus her regular showering.) Occasionally leaving one on for part of a day helps when it's oozing a lot, but doing so frequently starts to bother her (and it smells.)

mom2owen

Our son always has some crusty yuck around his tube. He never gets granulated tissue though so we rarely do anything besides wash it well in the shower. We have split gauze but he won't use it, go figure. I have asked him many times if it hurts or bothers him to have the ring around the tube and since he says no, we leave it alone.
But, there is a difference between normal ooze and infected or irritating ooze. Saline rinses do help with irritated ones. Good luck!

mom2owen

Our son always has some crusty yuck around his tube. He never gets granulated tissue though so we rarely do anything besides wash it well in the shower. We have split gauze but he won't use it, go figure. I have asked him many times if it hurts or bothers him to have the ring around the tube and since he says no, we leave it alone.
But, there is a difference between normal ooze and infected or irritating ooze. Saline rinses do help with irritated ones. Good luck!

mom2owen

<br />But, there is a difference between normal ooze and infected or irritating ooze. Saline rinses do help with irritated ones. Good luck!

theLostMiler

Christians mom,

With the saline soaks, does that help soothe any irritation?

I tend to get really really really red at my site, and it just plain hurts, hurts to cough, hurts to digest food, hurts, to sit up.

Its not granulation tissue.

Should I get a culture? most the time after a week or two, I end up getting some granulation tissue but I always attributed it to the red irritation.

Its feels like the acid comes out and burns me there, it also looks and feel like its just eating away right there, I feel like its not normal but maybe I am just a huge baby.

I also have checked the ballooon and its still inflated with the right about of saline.

Does anyone when changing the button out, have mucus build up on the end of the button? Do you think that affects how well it fits? I've cahnged my button once before, after about 6 months and it was b/c i was going through this same thing (as far as intensity) and the new button helped a lot.

theLostMiler

Christians mom,

With the saline soaks, does that help soothe any irritation?

I tend to get really really really red at my site, and it just plain hurts, hurts to cough, hurts to digest food, hurts, to sit up.

Its not granulation tissue.

Should I get a culture? most the time after a week or two, I end up getting some granulation tissue but I always attributed it to the red irritation.

Its feels like the acid comes out and burns me there, it also looks and feel like its just eating away right there, I feel like its not normal but maybe I am just a huge baby.

I also have checked the ballooon and its still inflated with the right about of saline.

Does anyone when changing the button out, have mucus build up on the end of the button? Do you think that affects how well it fits? I've cahnged my button once before, after about 6 months and it was b/c i was going through this same thing (as far as intensity) and the new button helped a lot.

theLostMiler

Christians mom,
<br />
<br />With the saline soaks, does that help soothe any irritation?
<br />
<br />I tend to get really really really red at my site, and it just plain hurts, hurts to cough, hurts to digest food, hurts, to sit up.
<br />
<br />Its not granulation tissue.
<br />
<br />Should I get a culture? most the time after a week or two, I end up getting some granulation tissue but I always attributed it to the red irritation.
<br />
<br />Its feels like the acid comes out and burns me there, it also looks and feel like its just eating away right there, I feel like its not normal but maybe I am just a huge baby.
<br />
<br />I also have checked the ballooon and its still inflated with the right about of saline.
<br />
<br />Does anyone when changing the button out, have mucus build up on the end of the button? Do you think that affects how well it fits? I've cahnged my button once before, after about 6 months and it was b/c i was going through this same thing (as far as intensity) and the new button helped a lot.

ChristiansMommy

thelostmiler,
my ds always tells me that his tummy feels better after a saline soak. after doing it a few times, we found that the ooze and the redness goes away. he's had a couple of infections, and the doctor gives him an oral antibiotic, but we still do the soak and for my ds at least, the irritation seems to get better. i have never seen mucous buildup on the end of his button. we change the button every 4-6 months.
hope things work out for you.

ChristiansMommy

thelostmiler,
my ds always tells me that his tummy feels better after a saline soak. after doing it a few times, we found that the ooze and the redness goes away. he's had a couple of infections, and the doctor gives him an oral antibiotic, but we still do the soak and for my ds at least, the irritation seems to get better. i have never seen mucous buildup on the end of his button. we change the button every 4-6 months.
hope things work out for you.

ChristiansMommy

thelostmiler,
<br />my ds always tells me that his tummy feels better after a saline soak. after doing it a few times, we found that the ooze and the redness goes away. he's had a couple of infections, and the doctor gives him an oral antibiotic, but we still do the soak and for my ds at least, the irritation seems to get better. i have never seen mucous buildup on the end of his button. we change the button every 4-6 months.
<br />hope things work out for you.