G-Tube solved

theLostMiler

So long story short, at least for now, because I am beyond frustrated with the entire situation, as far as the GI doctor and office that put it in...

I have "granulated tissue"... I am trying to get in to get it "coterized" (No idea how to spell that). Otherwise you use silver nitrate sticks on it and chemically burn it, fun.

Ugh, I have been feeling really down for a couple weeks now, and I cant seem to snap myself out of it.

I just want to go up to each friend and SCREAM! haha, I feel left out, left behind, and sick.

le sigh.

Thanks for listening.

BSJCA

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I hope you feel better soon so you can get back to living life. I don't have any knowledge of granulated tissue, but it sounds like it's something that's a fairly easy fix. I had my nose cauterized because it wouldn't stop bleeding. I can't say it was fun, but it was over pretty quickly and really wasn't too bad. It seems like your diagnosis is better than the herpes you suspected. Maybe that's a bright spot???

C

Cherylwithone

DD has had the granulated tissue before and we just used
the nitrate sticks on it. It is common to get this.

Hope you feel better soon.

izemmom

Emily had trouble with granulation tissue, too, for a while. Twice, she went to the GI clinic so it could be "burned" off with silver nitrite. It was't a big deal. SHe cried a bit, but it was over soon.

The trick for us has been keeping the skin under the button dry. I'm pretty sure that excess moisture leads to the granulation tissue. We always keep an antimicrobial split IV sponge (it's thin - like guaze) under the button now. We use a bit of medical tape over the split in the sponge and it stays in place. We change it whenever Emily gets dressed (am. and pm. We also have a constant prescription for triamcinolone .5% cream. We dab a bit of it on the skin under/around the button every few days, or more as needed!

No more issues!

Hope things get better for you soon!

hmw

I am so glad you got this figured out and I hope it's feeling better soon. I am *very* glad it wasn't a herpes infection there as you first worried... because then you'd be prone to repeated sores there and that would not be fun!

One of my boys developed an umbilical granuloma and the dr had to use the silver nitrate stick to cauterize it. He cried when the dr did it but it was over quick and when it healed up it looked SO much better; no more red inflamed skin, no more yellow oozing. I hope it works quickly for you and doesn't become a recurrent problem.

I have to say I am getting an education on all these potential gtube issues of late (been following any threads I can find relating to them) since Emily will be getting one soon. It helps to know in advance of anything that can happen rather than be taken by surprise~ these forums are so helpful!

iwantmypup

Aw man, I hope you feel better soon!
I heard the granulation tissue is pretty common, I also had it. The GI doctor used the silver nitrate sticks, ouch, but after 2 or 3 times it was gone, and now it's fully gone. I know how you feel, though.

theLostMiler

Yea, after we finally figured out what it was, I looked it up and it seems pretty common with feeding tubes. I actually looked to other sites like digestive sites and such like this, before when I couldnt figure out why my site wasnt healing and why it still hurt so bad and couldnt find anything about it. So I am glad it is now on this site, because there is nothing about granulation tissue in the search except for now, this thread.

The problem is that my GI doctor/office were not the ones who even figured out! My CA doctors 4+ hours away could tell instantly from a pictures I emailed them when I went to the GI office to see a nurse practicioner b/c I was concerned about it, all the guy said was "Its still fresh". He used pure hydrogen peroxide and told me to use it twice a day when before someone else at the office just said soap and water after the initial few days... it is frustrating that I wasnt told this could happen and was common when I got the feeding tube or during the consult or anything. So this whole time I thought I was crazy. I couldnt figure out what I was doing wrong.

I think I made it worse b/c I was using neosporin on it, with gauze, b/c I was told I could put neosporin on it to help it heal. But I need to keep it dry, and it seems to be pretty split on the use of gauze, I use the IV sponge ones though b/c I want to soak up the mucus around it.

Yea, the herpes looking part, was little different looking than granulated tissue part, but my fiancee said he didnt think it was herpes, he thought it was just more irritation... and probably from the acid coming up a bit b/c it was on my actual skin, not in the wound area.

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself up there, I know the burn(either cauterized or chemically) would be quick, but the other sites I read it could take 3 or 6 months for it to fully heal up... I am not looking forward to that if that is the case honestly.

The main part is I tried to look at as many g-tube stories, experiences, threads on here and Cystic Life, but everyone who answered got their tube in a long time ago, or it was a parent and no one was seeming to have any problems with pain and no one remembered how long it took theirs to heal so I didnt know what I should be expecting, if in fact the site should still look "fresh" after 6 weeks... I believed it should have been scarring up by then...

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone! I needed it.

KMV77

I had a g-tube or 6 years. I had the granulated tissue, and did the whole silver nitrate thing. It definitely sucks, and I know 100% how you feel. It will get better. I had a button type tube. I used to keep a 2x2" square bandage over it to keep it from moving around when I wasnt using it. However that keeps the area moist. At nights I would take it off, and just use a piece of tape to keep it in place while I did feedings, and after they were done. If air can get to it, the granulated tissue will get dry up. I know its may not sound pleasant but it was like a scab and that could come off, each time making it a little smaller. It will most likely come and go, thats what mine did. I remember my g-tube and can answer any questions you have about it. Feel free to pm me or post and I can answer your questions the best I can.
Kevin

MaryamsMommy

Hi,

I have been reading through your post and responses and was just curious about the "herpes" looking part.
My daughter Maryam has had her G-tube about 7 years now and we have seen a bit of everything at first. Just wondering if its bumppy on ur skin around the site? you can also develope a Yeasty rash or Fungus if its really to itchy, You might also want to look into that. Hope it heals fast took hers about 2-3 months.

Karen
Mommy to Maryam 9 with CF

theLostMiler

The reason why I thought it might have been fever blister (more so than pop up type cold sore) was that it was a small red area and looked like it had little white bubbles on it (like the ***** white ones you get with fever blisters), hence why I was questioning although why I couldnt decide was that the the white bubbles were really really tiny, barely noticeable and they never seemed to 'pop' and never seemed to get sore like a fever blister does, I could touch it and push on it with a cue tip, it only irritated it if I rubbed it across, and it had to be pretty hard. Also the bubbles-ish things looked pretty uniform in size and distance apart

Last night I let everything dry out and today, while sill pinky and red, it almost is crusty but not like a ***** crusty way, but like skin is dry way, thats the best I can describe it.

That is like a little tiny area next to the outside of the worst part of the granulation tissue, and at the end of the tab on my tube thing, so I am hoping it was irritation and/or from acid in my stomach that hit my skin.

Since it didnt get bigger and seems to be going away I thought it wasnt a rash (though I was thinking that too)

I never thought of yeast though... did anything I say sound familiar?

KMV77

I think this is what you both are describing, and its what I noticed...With the G-tube its a direct line into your stomach. You will get some stomach acid that seeps out every now and then. Stomach acid is very corrosive as you know, and that used to irritate my skin, leaving it red and sometimes it looked like a rash, and it was sore. I used to try drinking milk or taking a tums or something to bring the acid level down. That's why I used to keep it covered with a 3x3 square bandaid (maybe it was a 4x4 but it wasn't big at all). It would soak up leakage, keep the g-tube from moving and lastly, keep any stuff off of my clothes.
Kevin

hockeykid

Hi The Lost Miller,
Have you ever tried Tea Tree Oil around the granulation tissue? It really helps reduce the reduction of this tissue. I would run this by a doctor first. Creams high in zinc oxide seem to help the site heal as well. It took my site about six months to completely heal. Hang in there!

theLostMiler

Soo, yet again here i am worrying about a cold sore on my site. I feel like i am always having issues, i finally read in my booklet that my 20 fr button at minimum needs to have the balloon filled up to 7 ml, when i was using 5 ml for months... That explained the reoccuring granulation tissues and extremely irrotated and red site bc the stomach acid was constantly on my skin. I had a change in home health nurses my last visit, one mpre educated in g tubes and she is getting me a slighter longer tube bc she said mine was too tight after i explained to her i filled the balloon to the recommended level.

So right on schedule my site has been mucousy and leaking acid and whatever liquid i am drinking and my site is red and hurting... Tonight i was cleanong around it with some kleenex and one part was reLly itchy, so i used the kleenex to really get it scratched, i was hopeful bc normally when it gets itchy like that, its the "healing" itchy where things start to get better for a while. I washed my hands and went in a different room to check my balloon volume and fill up as necessary. When i looked down i had a nice blistery looking thing right where i was itching... And every cold sore experience leads me to belief that is really the case this time. When i scratch my lip pre cold sore, it takes nothing to get a blister formed.

I took pictures, and i will probably headingto my wound care docs to look at this if nothing changes or gets worse. I am trying not to worry or be scared, hoping its just weird looking granulation tissue or something, but its not in the hole its on the skin around it.

Ps. I have fevers daily so potentially there is always a risk of an underlying coldsore on my lips (nothing genital bc i am always careful or try to be).

Again, i have been feeling especially depressed, and night time really exagerrates it. I really dont want this on top it it, not sure now is the time for me to have thia news....

theLostMiler

Sorry for all the typos, i am on an ipad and i miss letters a lot.

So anyone who has dealt with ueast what does it look like? I have been faithful with gAuze pads and the first nit i even put my cold sore cream the site. The next day it was already looking better, no more blistery looking thing just its normal red. Keep with the gauze and stuff but tonight, it got really itchy again, and i didnt scratch it, but it looks like another blistery thing is coming in, doesnt look exactly like the same spot.

I am hopeful it isnt a cold sore, because cold sores dont "heal" as fast as the first episode did typically. And i am not sure if i mentioned, but i do not currently even have an open cold sore ( but who to say its not being active but not having an outbreak)...

I didnt call the wound care because it was basically gone but maybe i should to at least get a culture to see if its yeast, or herpes, or possibly infection ( but its not expanding rapidly in its redness so i doubt thats it the most).

Thanks for any tips again...

theLostMiler

I hate my button, people can't possibly be happy with these if my case us normal. It is leaking constantly, red, stinging, burning. My skin peels off around it. I can't sleep on my stomach, I can't sleep on my left side.

I've decided that it is yeast bc it "healed" to fast to be a cold sore. But at the end of the day gets itchy sometimes and needs to be washed before bed.

I don't know if it's the fit or what but my site has hurt more than be "normal" by at least a 75% hurting to 25% not as noticeable.

I hate it.

hmw

Have you tried a different type of button entirely? Maybe a different brand/style would give you a better fit with less leaking and pain?

This sounds really miserable and I hate to hear how much you have to go through with it. :(

eta> I do agree with getting the area cultured to see what you are dealing with there; you need to know if it's cold sores like you have in your mouth~ if so, maybe it needs to be treated on a preventative basis daily with something topical; if it's yeast there are other topical creams you can use. Some parents use a combination paste/cream of a couple diff types of diaper rash products around the site to keep stomach acids from causing irritation and it works really well! I guess if it keeps that stuff from causing a rash at the other end, it works for the stoma area too. Granulation tissue can be treated with an rx ointment as well before resorting to it being burned off w/silver nitrate; so once you know for sure what the problem is, it's much easier to treat.