gaining weight for young kids

mom2lillian

I know I have read or seen links to articles/recipes/blogs on how to put weight on young kids with CF can you please give me some resources. I have someone here locally that needs some help, her child is 1.5 so that limits options a bit.

Thanks

mom2lillian

I know I have read or seen links to articles/recipes/blogs on how to put weight on young kids with CF can you please give me some resources. I have someone here locally that needs some help, her child is 1.5 so that limits options a bit.

Thanks

mom2lillian

<br />
<br />Thanks

ymikhale

I had very good results with coconut oil with my dd, i started it when she was 1.5 y/o. she went from 25th percetile to 75th for weight and we did not change anything else.

ymikhale

I had very good results with coconut oil with my dd, i started it when she was 1.5 y/o. she went from 25th percetile to 75th for weight and we did not change anything else.

ymikhale

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SadiesMom</b></i>

where do you get the coconut oil? and what do you add it to?</end quote></div>

I buy it online (I am in Europe), but I think in the US Trader Joe's carries it. I take the odorless kind otherwise i doubt she would take it.

I add it to her meals instead of olive oil or cream.

ymikhale

where do you get the coconut oil? and what do you add it to?</end quote>

I buy it online (I am in Europe), but I think in the US Trader Joe's carries it. I take the odorless kind otherwise i doubt she would take it.

I add it to her meals instead of olive oil or cream.

ymikhale

<br />
<br />where do you get the coconut oil? and what do you add it to?</end quote>
<br />
<br />I buy it online (I am in Europe), but I think in the US Trader Joe's carries it. I take the odorless kind otherwise i doubt she would take it.
<br />
<br />I add it to her meals instead of olive oil or cream.

SadiesMom

does it change the consistency? I've been thinking of adding oil to her meals, but I'm afraid it'll change the consistency. Like for example, in yogurt?? Are there things you can't mix it with?

SadiesMom

does it change the consistency? I've been thinking of adding oil to her meals, but I'm afraid it'll change the consistency. Like for example, in yogurt?? Are there things you can't mix it with?

SadiesMom

hmw

One thing I would recommend is when adding fats to start at small doses and gradually increase to make it easier to watch for changes in stools and adjust enzymes as needed... and to try different types. Her little one may be able to tolerate different types better than others. The coconut oil is mct fat so more easily absorbed than other forms of fat and can be a great choice if the child will take it/will accept the consistency of oil in food. My dd liked heavy cream and it was convenient to add to a lot of things but couldn't tolerate it in large amounts- we ended up with greasy stools no matter what we did with enzymes; but she does fine with adding butter. Both are milkfat- so go figure! It's all about finding what works. A lot of little ones do well with adding something like a supplement drink to their regular diet (Carnation Very High Calorie, Boost 1.5, etc- something for her to talk to her CF team about. These drinks are appropriate now that her child is past the infant stage.) One of the moms here was told to mix Scandishake powder into her child's baby food to boost the fat & calories, and he loves it.

hmw

One thing I would recommend is when adding fats to start at small doses and gradually increase to make it easier to watch for changes in stools and adjust enzymes as needed... and to try different types. Her little one may be able to tolerate different types better than others. The coconut oil is mct fat so more easily absorbed than other forms of fat and can be a great choice if the child will take it/will accept the consistency of oil in food. My dd liked heavy cream and it was convenient to add to a lot of things but couldn't tolerate it in large amounts- we ended up with greasy stools no matter what we did with enzymes; but she does fine with adding butter. Both are milkfat- so go figure! It's all about finding what works. A lot of little ones do well with adding something like a supplement drink to their regular diet (Carnation Very High Calorie, Boost 1.5, etc- something for her to talk to her CF team about. These drinks are appropriate now that her child is past the infant stage.) One of the moms here was told to mix Scandishake powder into her child's baby food to boost the fat & calories, and he loves it.

hmw

ymikhale

does it change the consistency? I've been thinking of adding oil to her meals, but I'm afraid it'll change the consistency. Like for example, in yogurt?? Are there things you can't mix it with?</end quote></div>

Basically our nutritionist told us to add a certain amount of butter/cream/oil to her veggies(she has them for lunch and dinner)to increase calories. I checked with her about coconut oil, she said it could do no harm.

The concistency was the same as when i give veggies with with olive oil etc. Naturally it has a slightly smoother texture when without oil but she takes it fine.

I would not add it to yougurt though, veggies would seem to be a more natural choice to me.

would not know about enzymes since my dd is PS, but Harriet is right, you have to start with a small dose to see if she tolerates it, that is what I did in the beginning, too.

ymikhale

does it change the consistency? I've been thinking of adding oil to her meals, but I'm afraid it'll change the consistency. Like for example, in yogurt?? Are there things you can't mix it with?</end quote>

Basically our nutritionist told us to add a certain amount of butter/cream/oil to her veggies(she has them for lunch and dinner)to increase calories. I checked with her about coconut oil, she said it could do no harm.

The concistency was the same as when i give veggies with with olive oil etc. Naturally it has a slightly smoother texture when without oil but she takes it fine.

I would not add it to yougurt though, veggies would seem to be a more natural choice to me.

would not know about enzymes since my dd is PS, but Harriet is right, you have to start with a small dose to see if she tolerates it, that is what I did in the beginning, too.