Getting Older...

abloedel

Perhaps this would be better served by posting in my blog, but I haven't really posted anything in so long I am not sure anymore. It seems each time I come back, I read about another CFer who has gotten their wings, and am too sad to post anything after that. I recently came for a visit since I have begun to suffer from the effects of CFRD and wanted to seek out Melissa's advice, and was distraught to find that she had recently passed.

I also have suffered from unrelated (we think) cardiac issues ( had open heart surgery 3 years ago to remove a tumor from right atrium) and Paul/Q helped me so much during this difficult time and I see that he too has now passed.

There are many others I "knew" too that seemed to have passed recently, and I hope they all are breathing easy now, but I can't help but wonder about CF and aging.

I have had the fortune of a relatively "good" year. I have only been hospitalized once in the past 18 months and still continue to work full time. Recently, though, I have not been feeling "well" and have cultured non-TB mycobacteria and have experienced super high and low blood sugars. I have the added challenge of cardiac issues, and my valves seem worse with each echo.

I can't help but wonder (and in a skewed fortunate way at that) if this is what our parents and grandparents talk and worry about. If so, I am glad that I have lived long enough to be able to worry about things like this. If not, I wonder what they do worry about.

As an aging CFer, besides thinking about leaving a child or spouse behind, what do you think and worry about as you age?

abloedel

Perhaps this would be better served by posting in my blog, but I haven't really posted anything in so long I am not sure anymore. It seems each time I come back, I read about another CFer who has gotten their wings, and am too sad to post anything after that. I recently came for a visit since I have begun to suffer from the effects of CFRD and wanted to seek out Melissa's advice, and was distraught to find that she had recently passed.

I also have suffered from unrelated (we think) cardiac issues ( had open heart surgery 3 years ago to remove a tumor from right atrium) and Paul/Q helped me so much during this difficult time and I see that he too has now passed.

There are many others I "knew" too that seemed to have passed recently, and I hope they all are breathing easy now, but I can't help but wonder about CF and aging.

I have had the fortune of a relatively "good" year. I have only been hospitalized once in the past 18 months and still continue to work full time. Recently, though, I have not been feeling "well" and have cultured non-TB mycobacteria and have experienced super high and low blood sugars. I have the added challenge of cardiac issues, and my valves seem worse with each echo.

I can't help but wonder (and in a skewed fortunate way at that) if this is what our parents and grandparents talk and worry about. If so, I am glad that I have lived long enough to be able to worry about things like this. If not, I wonder what they do worry about.

As an aging CFer, besides thinking about leaving a child or spouse behind, what do you think and worry about as you age?

abloedel

abloedel

abloedel

<br />
<br />I also have suffered from unrelated (we think) cardiac issues ( had open heart surgery 3 years ago to remove a tumor from right atrium) and Paul/Q helped me so much during this difficult time and I see that he too has now passed.
<br />
<br />There are many others I "knew" too that seemed to have passed recently, and I hope they all are breathing easy now, but I can't help but wonder about CF and aging.
<br />
<br />I have had the fortune of a relatively "good" year. I have only been hospitalized once in the past 18 months and still continue to work full time. Recently, though, I have not been feeling "well" and have cultured non-TB mycobacteria and have experienced super high and low blood sugars. I have the added challenge of cardiac issues, and my valves seem worse with each echo.
<br />
<br />I can't help but wonder (and in a skewed fortunate way at that) if this is what our parents and grandparents talk and worry about. If so, I am glad that I have lived long enough to be able to worry about things like this. If not, I wonder what they do worry about.
<br />
<br />As an aging CFer, besides thinking about leaving a child or spouse behind, what do you think and worry about as you age?

debs2girls

Amy, my daughter is 9 and she too is having issues with her heart now too. She is having all kinds of things happen lately and now we will go into the hospital every three months or sooner if she gets sick(er).
I am in no way saying you lived long enough so give up..but man, you have lived a long time and I think that is awesome. I can only pray that my daughter makes it to 41. I am also not calling you old..lol.

debs2girls

Amy, my daughter is 9 and she too is having issues with her heart now too. She is having all kinds of things happen lately and now we will go into the hospital every three months or sooner if she gets sick(er).
I am in no way saying you lived long enough so give up..but man, you have lived a long time and I think that is awesome. I can only pray that my daughter makes it to 41. I am also not calling you old..lol.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

<br />I am in no way saying you lived long enough so give up..but man, you have lived a long time and I think that is awesome. I can only pray that my daughter makes it to 41. I am also not calling you old..lol.

mamerth

I worry about my son. I worry about my husband. I am thankful each year I am given.

And yes, there are days I feel very old (much older than am I). Although there nights like tonight (a night out with my guys) when I feel 36. I am thankful for those time.

mamerth

I worry about my son. I worry about my husband. I am thankful each year I am given.

And yes, there are days I feel very old (much older than am I). Although there nights like tonight (a night out with my guys) when I feel 36. I am thankful for those time.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

<br />
<br />And yes, there are days I feel very old (much older than am I). Although there nights like tonight (a night out with my guys) when I feel 36. I am thankful for those time.

melx

Hello Amy
I worry about being a burden on my family. I worry about not being able to breathe. I worry that I will have a hypoglycemic episode that will compromise me neurologically. I worry (now that I have 'retired') that life will have less meaning & purpose and the me that I have always been will fade into oblivion.
But after I have worried for a certain amount of time (and I really mean a specific amount of time) I STOP. I refocus and take a cleansing breath and say a prayer and let go of it. And then I go do something that makes life full and meaningful and brings me joy. Because if I spent every minute worrying, than life would not be worth living.
We all leave this life at some point. Sometimes just embracing the idea that it will happen when it is meant to happen also allows a certain level of freedom from anxiety and worry.
Live and be well
Melony

melx

Hello Amy
I worry about being a burden on my family. I worry about not being able to breathe. I worry that I will have a hypoglycemic episode that will compromise me neurologically. I worry (now that I have 'retired') that life will have less meaning & purpose and the me that I have always been will fade into oblivion.
But after I have worried for a certain amount of time (and I really mean a specific amount of time) I STOP. I refocus and take a cleansing breath and say a prayer and let go of it. And then I go do something that makes life full and meaningful and brings me joy. Because if I spent every minute worrying, than life would not be worth living.
We all leave this life at some point. Sometimes just embracing the idea that it will happen when it is meant to happen also allows a certain level of freedom from anxiety and worry.
Live and be well
Melony

melx

Hello Amy
Live and be well
Melony

melx

Hello Amy
Live and be well
Melony

melx

Hello Amy
<br />I worry about being a burden on my family. I worry about not being able to breathe. I worry that I will have a hypoglycemic episode that will compromise me neurologically. I worry (now that I have 'retired') that life will have less meaning & purpose and the me that I have always been will fade into oblivion.
<br />But after I have worried for a certain amount of time (and I really mean a specific amount of time) I STOP. I refocus and take a cleansing breath and say a prayer and let go of it. And then I go do something that makes life full and meaningful and brings me joy. Because if I spent every minute worrying, than life would not be worth living.
<br />We all leave this life at some point. Sometimes just embracing the idea that it will happen when it is meant to happen also allows a certain level of freedom from anxiety and worry.
<br />Live and be well
<br />Melony