GI Doc has ordered fecal fat test for stool sample

AlexsMom

GI Doc has ordered fecal fat and other stool tests-said he was doing that to address oily/greasy stool issue-will this help to confirm pancreatic involvement assoc.with CF?

AlexsMom

GI Doc has ordered fecal fat and other stool tests-said he was doing that to address oily/greasy stool issue-will this help to confirm pancreatic involvement assoc.with CF?

AlexsMom

AlexsMom

AlexsMom

momoffive

My son just had this test to make sure he was absorbing fat, and it was in the normal range, but he wasn't eating much at the time so it doesn't really tell us anything about whether he does or doesn't have CF. I am no expert, I only have minimal knowledge, but I believe that if the levels were abnormal that would lean towards CF for sure. HTH

momoffive

My son just had this test to make sure he was absorbing fat, and it was in the normal range, but he wasn't eating much at the time so it doesn't really tell us anything about whether he does or doesn't have CF. I am no expert, I only have minimal knowledge, but I believe that if the levels were abnormal that would lean towards CF for sure. HTH

momoffive

momoffive

momoffive

Alyssa

Yes! This may help you out with the full genetic testing issue too! It is very common to do a fecal fat test to figure out if a person is pancreatic sufficient or not <b>AND to help figure out if a person has CF or not</b>.....trust me, with all you are going through right now, having the GI doc order this test is a very good thing!

Of course, if the test comes back negative (normal) that means you child is pancreatic sufficient, (which health wise is a very good thing) but that would push them farther away from the CF question if it comes back normal -- but do keep in mind if it comes back normal, there are still approximately 20% of people with CF who are pancreatic sufficient (both my kids have normal sweat test numbers and are pancreatic sufficient), so don't let them tell you it means you do not need to move forward with genetic testing to rule out CF.

And, the best news of all is if he is pancreatic insufficient and you start her on enzymes she will start gaining weight and feeling better! At least it will be one piece of the puzzle solved for you!

Alyssa

Yes! This may help you out with the full genetic testing issue too! It is very common to do a fecal fat test to figure out if a person is pancreatic sufficient or not <b>AND to help figure out if a person has CF or not</b>.....trust me, with all you are going through right now, having the GI doc order this test is a very good thing!

Of course, if the test comes back negative (normal) that means you child is pancreatic sufficient, (which health wise is a very good thing) but that would push them farther away from the CF question if it comes back normal -- but do keep in mind if it comes back normal, there are still approximately 20% of people with CF who are pancreatic sufficient (both my kids have normal sweat test numbers and are pancreatic sufficient), so don't let them tell you it means you do not need to move forward with genetic testing to rule out CF.

And, the best news of all is if he is pancreatic insufficient and you start her on enzymes she will start gaining weight and feeling better! At least it will be one piece of the puzzle solved for you!

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

momja

I hope it gives you some answers.
My son went through this and everything came out fine. I'm not sure how accurate they are or if it's something that needs to be tested at different times because my son still has loose stools and isn't putting on weight.
Good luck with it all, and make sure you get a copy of the results.

momja

My son went through this and everything came out fine. I'm not sure how accurate they are or if it's something that needs to be tested at different times because my son still has loose stools and isn't putting on weight.

momja

momja

momja