giving salt to baby

NancyLKF

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has advice for giving salt to a baby. Maggie is 3 weeks. I mixed her salt in baby bananas and baby apple sauce and she gags. Can I dissolve the salt in breastmilk?
Thanks.

NancyLKF

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has advice for giving salt to a baby. Maggie is 3 weeks. I mixed her salt in baby bananas and baby apple sauce and she gags. Can I dissolve the salt in breastmilk?
Thanks.

NancyLKF

Thanks.

NancyLKF

Thanks.

NancyLKF

<br />Thanks.

jdkeep

Hi Nancy - my son, Brady, is 3 months old, and I dissolve it in breast milk. To be honest, I use sodium chloride prescribed by Brady's doctor. I was never able to get him to take the actual salt dissolved in breast milk - he just gagged and wouldn't swallow it. I tried it myself once - I put salt in regular milk and tasted it! It tastes horrible, no matter how much milk you use to dissolve it. So, I definitely recommend dissolving it in as much breast milk as you can.

Another thing Brady's doctor suggested was not to give him the entire amount of salt (1/8 teaspoon) in one feeding, to spread it out throughout the day, so that you're using less salt with each feeding. You might want to try that depending on Maggie's feeding schedule. I breastfeed, but I pump and then fortify it with formula because Brady was born very small, and we're trying to get his weight up. So, he's on a pretty strict schedule with his eating.

Good luck!

jdkeep

Hi Nancy - my son, Brady, is 3 months old, and I dissolve it in breast milk. To be honest, I use sodium chloride prescribed by Brady's doctor. I was never able to get him to take the actual salt dissolved in breast milk - he just gagged and wouldn't swallow it. I tried it myself once - I put salt in regular milk and tasted it! It tastes horrible, no matter how much milk you use to dissolve it. So, I definitely recommend dissolving it in as much breast milk as you can.

Another thing Brady's doctor suggested was not to give him the entire amount of salt (1/8 teaspoon) in one feeding, to spread it out throughout the day, so that you're using less salt with each feeding. You might want to try that depending on Maggie's feeding schedule. I breastfeed, but I pump and then fortify it with formula because Brady was born very small, and we're trying to get his weight up. So, he's on a pretty strict schedule with his eating.

Good luck!

jdkeep

Good luck!

jdkeep

Good luck!

jdkeep

<br />
<br />Another thing Brady's doctor suggested was not to give him the entire amount of salt (1/8 teaspoon) in one feeding, to spread it out throughout the day, so that you're using less salt with each feeding. You might want to try that depending on Maggie's feeding schedule. I breastfeed, but I pump and then fortify it with formula because Brady was born very small, and we're trying to get his weight up. So, he's on a pretty strict schedule with his eating.
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />
<br />
<br />

M

mneville

WHen Aidan was a baby, I put a little pinch in each bottle throughout the day. He was fine with it that way. As the weather got warmer, I put a little more.

Megan

M

mneville

WHen Aidan was a baby, I put a little pinch in each bottle throughout the day. He was fine with it that way. As the weather got warmer, I put a little more.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />Megan

M

Mommafirst

Yeah, I wouldn't try to get it all in at once, but spread it out throughout the day. That's what I did with my dd.

M

Mommafirst

Yeah, I wouldn't try to get it all in at once, but spread it out throughout the day. That's what I did with my dd.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst