Going onto enzymes

kenninikki

I just wanted to say hi because you are the first person I have met with a child that is pancreatic sufficient. My son is that and was diagnosed Sept of 2006. He is almost 3 now. Kendra

kenninikki

I just wanted to say hi because you are the first person I have met with a child that is pancreatic sufficient. My son is that and was diagnosed Sept of 2006. He is almost 3 now. Kendra

kenninikki

Alyssa

<b>Kenninikki</b>

Just wanted to say both my kids are PS and I know of another adult with the same gene mutations who is also PS. I was told that about 20% of the people with CF are PS - later I was told it was much less, something under 10% so I don't know which is correct but at any rate there are a few of them out there!

Alyssa

<b>Kenninikki</b>

Just wanted to say both my kids are PS and I know of another adult with the same gene mutations who is also PS. I was told that about 20% of the people with CF are PS - later I was told it was much less, something under 10% so I don't know which is correct but at any rate there are a few of them out there!

Alyssa

<b>Kenninikki</b>

Alyssa

<b>Kenninikki</b>

Alyssa

<b>Kenninikki</b>

janddburke

my daughter is now 12 and we gave her enzymes for her first 5 years. then I started poking around and read that some CFers are PS. I didn't know that at the time.
since we had not changed her enzyme dosage in those 5 years (1 Pancrease MT4 before each meal or snack from 5 months to 5 years!) I did some experimentation. for 1 weekend we did not give her any enzymes. and guess what happened? nothing.
so we haven't given her enzymes since. lately she's had trouble with weight. right now she's only 13% BMI and dropping, but she's very active into sports and all and has grown over 5 inches since January.
we did a fecal fat collection and that turned out normal. we're hoping not to have to revisit enzymes again soon, but they really weren't that big a deal.

but what's this about pancratitis? is this something ELSE I NOW HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT?

--Debbie

janddburke

my daughter is now 12 and we gave her enzymes for her first 5 years. then I started poking around and read that some CFers are PS. I didn't know that at the time.
since we had not changed her enzyme dosage in those 5 years (1 Pancrease MT4 before each meal or snack from 5 months to 5 years!) I did some experimentation. for 1 weekend we did not give her any enzymes. and guess what happened? nothing.
so we haven't given her enzymes since. lately she's had trouble with weight. right now she's only 13% BMI and dropping, but she's very active into sports and all and has grown over 5 inches since January.
we did a fecal fat collection and that turned out normal. we're hoping not to have to revisit enzymes again soon, but they really weren't that big a deal.

but what's this about pancratitis? is this something ELSE I NOW HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT?

--Debbie

janddburke

--Debbie

janddburke

--Debbie

janddburke

--Debbie

M

Mommafirst

Hey Debbie,

Thanks for the input. I originally posted this back in January, now my daughter is actually pancreatic insufficient (or heading that way, her scores are just above the cutoff point). I have read some articles that indicate that pancreatitis is not an uncommon finding in those that are pancreatic sufficient.

Here's a link <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.dcmsonline.org/jax-medicine/2002journals/junejuly2002/pancreatic.htm">to on abstract</a>

Our Cf doc felt that being on enzymes couldn't hurt and might actually help with gaining weight and preventing pancreatitis.

M

Mommafirst

Hey Debbie,

Thanks for the input. I originally posted this back in January, now my daughter is actually pancreatic insufficient (or heading that way, her scores are just above the cutoff point). I have read some articles that indicate that pancreatitis is not an uncommon finding in those that are pancreatic sufficient.

Here's a link <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.dcmsonline.org/jax-medicine/2002journals/junejuly2002/pancreatic.htm">to on abstract</a>

Our Cf doc felt that being on enzymes couldn't hurt and might actually help with gaining weight and preventing pancreatitis.