Graduate School with CF

HisAngel

My Husband has CF was diagnosed at 18 months, just turned 50 this past July. He is a Phd, His PhD is in Analytical Chemistry

dbtoo

MS in Information Management, got it when I was 52 yrs young... didn't think a PHd was worth the effort...

dbtoo

MS in Information Management, got it when I was 52 yrs young... didn't think a PHd was worth the effort...

dbtoo

T

TleighsHusband

Tiffany got her Masters in Collaborative Piano. It was well worth it and she found that the faculty and other students worked with her great. She did quite a few of recitals on IVs but she was still able to find a balance of health, work, family, and school. She did hers after she turned 30 as it was one of her life goals that she set when she turned 30. Great experience and brought some great richness to her life.

T

TleighsHusband

Tiffany got her Masters in Collaborative Piano. It was well worth it and she found that the faculty and other students worked with her great. She did quite a few of recitals on IVs but she was still able to find a balance of health, work, family, and school. She did hers after she turned 30 as it was one of her life goals that she set when she turned 30. Great experience and brought some great richness to her life.

T

TleighsHusband

imported_Momto2

1 year shy of my doctorate here in animal behavior/ecology (left to get married) but ended up getting the masters sinstead of the PhD. Then I did a second master at the U of Rochester school of medicine in Environmental toxicology. Then I headed off to a veterarny school to work on a doctorate in equine immunotox, but the program kinda dissolved around me. That, included with personal reasons, I left, and became a teacher/training. I was basically working from 6 am to 9 pm every day, even on weekends, but it was doable. I was careful to carve out time for exercise and treatments. Being super-overly organized really helped. My health did not deteriorate during grad school DUE to grad school. But care must be taken to prioritize.

imported_Momto2

1 year shy of my doctorate here in animal behavior/ecology (left to get married) but ended up getting the masters sinstead of the PhD. Then I did a second master at the U of Rochester school of medicine in Environmental toxicology. Then I headed off to a veterarny school to work on a doctorate in equine immunotox, but the program kinda dissolved around me. That, included with personal reasons, I left, and became a teacher/training. I was basically working from 6 am to 9 pm every day, even on weekends, but it was doable. I was careful to carve out time for exercise and treatments. Being super-overly organized really helped. My health did not deteriorate during grad school DUE to grad school. But care must be taken to prioritize.

imported_Momto2

athanasia

I am currently in a grad program. I just graduated with two bachelor's degrees in Aug and got into the MSBS (Masters of Science in Biomedical Science) in Human Donation Science program at the University of Toledo. It is to become an organ procurement coordinator and is currently the only program for this in the country. I am very excited about it but at the same time it is a lot of work. It is a program where everyone moves together so I am taking 15 hours right now and then next semester will be a bit more and then internships in the summer. I am a bit burned out from undergrad since I was taking 19 hours every semester (even summer) for the past two years straight but I like it much more than undergrad because people treat you much better. I am also fortunate to have a program director who is amazing and knows about my CF and that I am post transplant so she is understanding if I were to need time for hospital (knock on wood I won't) or anything else that might come along.

I wish you luck and good health on your journey. I think it is awesome to hear so many accomplished CFers on here because I lost most of my friends before I graduated HS. I feel incredibly blessed to be here right now and able to have gone back to finish my degrees and now get a masters. I am glad to see all of the increasing ages and health statuses of CFers now.

athanasia

I am currently in a grad program. I just graduated with two bachelor's degrees in Aug and got into the MSBS (Masters of Science in Biomedical Science) in Human Donation Science program at the University of Toledo. It is to become an organ procurement coordinator and is currently the only program for this in the country. I am very excited about it but at the same time it is a lot of work. It is a program where everyone moves together so I am taking 15 hours right now and then next semester will be a bit more and then internships in the summer. I am a bit burned out from undergrad since I was taking 19 hours every semester (even summer) for the past two years straight but I like it much more than undergrad because people treat you much better. I am also fortunate to have a program director who is amazing and knows about my CF and that I am post transplant so she is understanding if I were to need time for hospital (knock on wood I won't) or anything else that might come along.

I wish you luck and good health on your journey. I think it is awesome to hear so many accomplished CFers on here because I lost most of my friends before I graduated HS. I feel incredibly blessed to be here right now and able to have gone back to finish my degrees and now get a masters. I am glad to see all of the increasing ages and health statuses of CFers now.

athanasia

<br />
<br />I wish you luck and good health on your journey. I think it is awesome to hear so many accomplished CFers on here because I lost most of my friends before I graduated HS. I feel incredibly blessed to be here right now and able to have gone back to finish my degrees and now get a masters. I am glad to see all of the increasing ages and health statuses of CFers now.

phutton

I got my Master's about 10 years ago. I loved graduate school so much better than undergrad. It is a lot of work, but it is no more work than a full time job. If it is something you love then it doesn't feel like work, right?

phutton

I got my Master's about 10 years ago. I loved graduate school so much better than undergrad. It is a lot of work, but it is no more work than a full time job. If it is something you love then it doesn't feel like work, right?

phutton

<br />

Madsmith

I did my master's in Wildlife Science from 25-29 with no real problems. I started a Ph.D. in zoology at 30, and am still a few months away from finishing at 37. The stress of managing my research, teaching, house, dogs, etc was very all encompassing. I've gone downhill quite a bit. I'm still learning how to better my time management so that I can take time to do my meds and exercise but still be productive and have fun! I'd say my CF has cost me about a year in progress, which is no big deal. But being overwhelmed has cost me about 10% FEV1. If you're organized and you love what you want to do then go for it!

Madsmith

I did my master's in Wildlife Science from 25-29 with no real problems. I started a Ph.D. in zoology at 30, and am still a few months away from finishing at 37. The stress of managing my research, teaching, house, dogs, etc was very all encompassing. I've gone downhill quite a bit. I'm still learning how to better my time management so that I can take time to do my meds and exercise but still be productive and have fun! I'd say my CF has cost me about a year in progress, which is no big deal. But being overwhelmed has cost me about 10% FEV1. If you're organized and you love what you want to do then go for it!

Madsmith

I am currently working on my PhD, finished M.S. in 2009, undergrad in 2006.  Not in the "hard" sciences, which seems to be what you are interested in.  <br><br><br>Sarah~<br>