Great Strides

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS went when he was a baby because we could keep him in his stroller and separate from the other walkers -- plus he was one of only a few children wcf and the other parents felt the same way and kept their kids within their group; however, when DS was 3 there were a LOT of people with kids I didn't know and the walk took place in a park with a playground. I was too stressed by the end of the day because my MIL kept letting him go on the playground. So for the past few years, we've used DS' gymnastics as an excuse.

This year we're going to try it again, but stress to him before hand that the playground is off limits and that I'll take him to the one near his grandparents house later after the walk.

The food issue concerns me too -- yes there's lots of hand sanitizer -- but everyone is digging in the pizza, boxes of donuts... I usually stick to the indivdually wrapped stuff and bring my own purell & hand sanitizer.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS went when he was a baby because we could keep him in his stroller and separate from the other walkers -- plus he was one of only a few children wcf and the other parents felt the same way and kept their kids within their group; however, when DS was 3 there were a LOT of people with kids I didn't know and the walk took place in a park with a playground. I was too stressed by the end of the day because my MIL kept letting him go on the playground. So for the past few years, we've used DS' gymnastics as an excuse.

This year we're going to try it again, but stress to him before hand that the playground is off limits and that I'll take him to the one near his grandparents house later after the walk.

The food issue concerns me too -- yes there's lots of hand sanitizer -- but everyone is digging in the pizza, boxes of donuts... I usually stick to the indivdually wrapped stuff and bring my own purell & hand sanitizer.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />This year we're going to try it again, but stress to him before hand that the playground is off limits and that I'll take him to the one near his grandparents house later after the walk.
<br />
<br />The food issue concerns me too -- yes there's lots of hand sanitizer -- but everyone is digging in the pizza, boxes of donuts... I usually stick to the indivdually wrapped stuff and bring my own purell & hand sanitizer.

OperaMama

People here last year had the CF patient wear a pink tag or something so that every other CFer could maintain a proper distance.

OperaMama

People here last year had the CF patient wear a pink tag or something so that every other CFer could maintain a proper distance.

OperaMama

OperaMama

OperaMama

purplemartin

We have taken Briceton every year since his diagnosis and I have seen no reason to leave him out! We just use basic common sense and a whole LOT of hand washing! It does help though, with our walk being fairly small and I know most of the other "CF families" fairly well!

purplemartin

We have taken Briceton every year since his diagnosis and I have seen no reason to leave him out! We just use basic common sense and a whole LOT of hand washing! It does help though, with our walk being fairly small and I know most of the other "CF families" fairly well!

purplemartin

purplemartin

purplemartin

Keith

My wife and I went to the Great Strides walk last year for the first time as part of a team for my grandson. The coordinators here in Cary, NC handed out red, white, and blue ribbons with gold medals attached to each person with CF as an identifier, so it was easy to keep a safe distance from others with CF. I personally thought this was a terrific idea. I think most people there were aware of contact issues, so no one complained about being "marked."

Of course, there is no substitute for common sense. Take antibacterial wipes and use them on your child and yourself after you come in contact with shared items.

Keith

My wife and I went to the Great Strides walk last year for the first time as part of a team for my grandson. The coordinators here in Cary, NC handed out red, white, and blue ribbons with gold medals attached to each person with CF as an identifier, so it was easy to keep a safe distance from others with CF. I personally thought this was a terrific idea. I think most people there were aware of contact issues, so no one complained about being "marked."

Of course, there is no substitute for common sense. Take antibacterial wipes and use them on your child and yourself after you come in contact with shared items.

Keith

Keith

Keith

<br />
<br />Of course, there is no substitute for common sense. Take antibacterial wipes and use them on your child and yourself after you come in contact with shared items.