harassment at work?

65rosessamurai

I think I told only one employer...and I got dismissed the next week...I couldn't claim anything because I don't think there were any labor laws at that time..I can definitely understand Brad's situation!

After that incident, I've never told my employers unless I was in the same predicament as Brad, being in the hospital for over a week.

Even now, my employers don't know and I don't intend on saying anything until my health issues interfere with my work.

65rosessamurai

I think I told only one employer...and I got dismissed the next week...I couldn't claim anything because I don't think there were any labor laws at that time..I can definitely understand Brad's situation!

After that incident, I've never told my employers unless I was in the same predicament as Brad, being in the hospital for over a week.

Even now, my employers don't know and I don't intend on saying anything until my health issues interfere with my work.

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

<br />
<br />After that incident, I've never told my employers unless I was in the same predicament as Brad, being in the hospital for over a week.
<br />
<br />Even now, my employers don't know and I don't intend on saying anything until my health issues interfere with my work.

etabetac

I have worked in HR for a few years and deal with some of this but a lot I am able to forward on to our corporate headquarters... But based on the work I have done with FMLA/ADA matters, here's what I suggest.

Have you filled out the FMLA paperwork with your company? This will protect you for doctor's visits, etc. You'd be doing an intermittent FMLA for chronic illness (as opposed to an acute illness). Keep in mind that your employer may ask for doctor's notes on the days that you are out and verify absences and ask questions (and must keep it confidential) about health-related absences. When you sign FMLA paperwork you are giving your company permission to speak with the doctor. Your company's FMLA person must keep this info confidential. In my case, I only find out if the absence was approved FMLA or not but no details for my 300 employees. FMLA is also unpaid.

Also ADA can be invoked in a company with more than 15 employees as long as it does not cause 'undue hardship' and you can perform essential job functions (which should be listed in your job description paperwork). CF falls under major life function of breathing. Typically a reasonable accommodation is allowing someone to have a day off for medical appointments or a room to do treatments in. But the important part of this is that you must inform your human resources person of your disability and may have to document your disability. It would also be in your interest to come up with a list of accommodations you'd need. You can contact your state's Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for more info. They may also be able to represent you or recommend someone if things get worse.

I recommend this link: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://books.google.com/books?id=czEhTdxHAK8C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0">http://books.google.com/books?...ce=gbs_summary_s&cad=0</a>

Look in Table of Contents for FMLA / Medical Leave

etabetac

I have worked in HR for a few years and deal with some of this but a lot I am able to forward on to our corporate headquarters... But based on the work I have done with FMLA/ADA matters, here's what I suggest.

Have you filled out the FMLA paperwork with your company? This will protect you for doctor's visits, etc. You'd be doing an intermittent FMLA for chronic illness (as opposed to an acute illness). Keep in mind that your employer may ask for doctor's notes on the days that you are out and verify absences and ask questions (and must keep it confidential) about health-related absences. When you sign FMLA paperwork you are giving your company permission to speak with the doctor. Your company's FMLA person must keep this info confidential. In my case, I only find out if the absence was approved FMLA or not but no details for my 300 employees. FMLA is also unpaid.

Also ADA can be invoked in a company with more than 15 employees as long as it does not cause 'undue hardship' and you can perform essential job functions (which should be listed in your job description paperwork). CF falls under major life function of breathing. Typically a reasonable accommodation is allowing someone to have a day off for medical appointments or a room to do treatments in. But the important part of this is that you must inform your human resources person of your disability and may have to document your disability. It would also be in your interest to come up with a list of accommodations you'd need. You can contact your state's Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for more info. They may also be able to represent you or recommend someone if things get worse.

I recommend this link: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://books.google.com/books?id=czEhTdxHAK8C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0">http://books.google.com/books?...ce=gbs_summary_s&cad=0</a>

etabetac

etabetac

etabetac

<br />
<br />Have you filled out the FMLA paperwork with your company? This will protect you for doctor's visits, etc. You'd be doing an intermittent FMLA for chronic illness (as opposed to an acute illness). Keep in mind that your employer may ask for doctor's notes on the days that you are out and verify absences and ask questions (and must keep it confidential) about health-related absences. When you sign FMLA paperwork you are giving your company permission to speak with the doctor. Your company's FMLA person must keep this info confidential. In my case, I only find out if the absence was approved FMLA or not but no details for my 300 employees. FMLA is also unpaid.
<br />
<br />Also ADA can be invoked in a company with more than 15 employees as long as it does not cause 'undue hardship' and you can perform essential job functions (which should be listed in your job description paperwork). CF falls under major life function of breathing. Typically a reasonable accommodation is allowing someone to have a day off for medical appointments or a room to do treatments in. But the important part of this is that you must inform your human resources person of your disability and may have to document your disability. It would also be in your interest to come up with a list of accommodations you'd need. You can contact your state's Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for more info. They may also be able to represent you or recommend someone if things get worse.
<br />
<br />I recommend this link: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://books.google.com/books?id=czEhTdxHAK8C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0">http://books.google.com/books?...ce=gbs_summary_s&cad=0</a>
<br />
<br />Look in Table of Contents for FMLA / Medical Leave

kayleesgrandma

Hey Ben! Just wanted to say hello, it looks like you have gotten excellent advice here...I'm sorry to hear about yuor work issues--and then to learn you missed hunting season!! (Of course, there is also the little prob of you missing your clinic visit!!! But I won't go there...)

Wish we'd see more of you here, but with 12 hour days--I can see how you have little time...

Hope you got the info you needed here, and come back and see us once in a while--please! I miss your photo's, *sigh...

kayleesgrandma

Hey Ben! Just wanted to say hello, it looks like you have gotten excellent advice here...I'm sorry to hear about yuor work issues--and then to learn you missed hunting season!! (Of course, there is also the little prob of you missing your clinic visit!!! But I won't go there...)

Wish we'd see more of you here, but with 12 hour days--I can see how you have little time...

Hope you got the info you needed here, and come back and see us once in a while--please! I miss your photo's, *sigh...

kayleesgrandma

kayleesgrandma

kayleesgrandma

<br />
<br />Wish we'd see more of you here, but with 12 hour days--I can see how you have little time...
<br />
<br />Hope you got the info you needed here, and come back and see us once in a while--please! I miss your photo's, *sigh...