has anyone else gotten mixed up while in the hospital

jamoncita

i have on a couple occasions had a doctor or nurse or some other medical professional come in and ask "are you ___", and they'd have the wrong person. seems simple enough to read the name posted on the door, but i guess not enough for everyone. i haven't experienced any serious medical errors, but sometimes there are delays and confusion with the administration of my meds.

jamoncita

i have on a couple occasions had a doctor or nurse or some other medical professional come in and ask "are you ___", and they'd have the wrong person. seems simple enough to read the name posted on the door, but i guess not enough for everyone. i haven't experienced any serious medical errors, but sometimes there are delays and confusion with the administration of my meds.

albino15

One time when I was getting ready to have surgery to remove some nasal polyps, a nurse came in to ask me some questions and one question was about "My Chemo" (never been on chemo) that freaked me out.

albino15

One time when I was getting ready to have surgery to remove some nasal polyps, a nurse came in to ask me some questions and one question was about "My Chemo" (never been on chemo) that freaked me out.

BUBBLES09

My daughter was hooked up to her roomates IV pole, she was 10 months old, her roomate was not even from the united states so we had to give blood work for 5 years to make sure she did not test positive for HIV or things like that, be safe they made many mistakes with her, over the last 19 years

mom of a cf kid

BUBBLES09

My daughter was hooked up to her roomates IV pole, she was 10 months old, her roomate was not even from the united states so we had to give blood work for 5 years to make sure she did not test positive for HIV or things like that, be safe they made many mistakes with her, over the last 19 years

mom of a cf kid

M

MCGrad2006

I haven't necessarily been mistaken for other patients that I can remember. I do know that I have had to say many times to doctors and nurses that my meds NOT be mixed with sugar water and also to make sure they do heparin. I have had a blood clot so even if I have a PICC that says heparin is not needed, it doesn't do harm to use it, so I always do it regardless. As far as the sugar water, I had Tobra mixed with sugar water a few years ago and even though I am not CFRD, my sugars went crazy.

I also had a nurse get all huffy and angry with me once when they didn't finish my whole bag of meds. For some reason, during the night they turned off the bag of medication and there was still 1/4 of the bag full of meds. It was one of those big bags, but it was supposed to be only a one dose bag. So I spoke up and she got angry...you GOTTA stick up for yourself because no one else will.

M

MCGrad2006

I haven't necessarily been mistaken for other patients that I can remember. I do know that I have had to say many times to doctors and nurses that my meds NOT be mixed with sugar water and also to make sure they do heparin. I have had a blood clot so even if I have a PICC that says heparin is not needed, it doesn't do harm to use it, so I always do it regardless. As far as the sugar water, I had Tobra mixed with sugar water a few years ago and even though I am not CFRD, my sugars went crazy.

I also had a nurse get all huffy and angry with me once when they didn't finish my whole bag of meds. For some reason, during the night they turned off the bag of medication and there was still 1/4 of the bag full of meds. It was one of those big bags, but it was supposed to be only a one dose bag. So I spoke up and she got angry...you GOTTA stick up for yourself because no one else will.

mamaScarlett

Wow some of these tales are crazy I'm reading here! A good reminder to always check everything. Mistakes happen, we need protect ourselves.
While on home IVs this round, my peak and trough levels got mixed up. They were mislabeled-but somehow no one wants to take the blame...I guess the labels switched themselves! Anyhow they showed crazy results which for about 1 hour had me freaking out thinking my levels were insanely high and roasting my liver. Thankfully it was fine but I had serious anxiety..like an anxiety attack for a good hour.
Not the same as a 'mistake' but also, when I was 15 I was admitted, and a new pediatrician that wasn't my doctor, but on call, came into my room in the middle of the night, asked me all kinds of odd questions, and then sent the nurse into my room a bit later with anti psychotic medication he had prescribed me! There had been NO discussion of this with my mother, I had no relationship with this doctor, and I defnitiely wasn't psychotic. (if I had needed antidepresants my mom would have given them to me but this wasn't the case, period)
I didn't know much about this med, but the whole thing was weird to me so I refused it. The next morning my mother found out and went nuts. The doctor got fired by the cheif of medicine-which was something my mom didn't even ask for. Apparently you can not give a minor meds like that unauthorized by parents.

mamaScarlett

Wow some of these tales are crazy I'm reading here! A good reminder to always check everything. Mistakes happen, we need protect ourselves.
While on home IVs this round, my peak and trough levels got mixed up. They were mislabeled-but somehow no one wants to take the blame...I guess the labels switched themselves! Anyhow they showed crazy results which for about 1 hour had me freaking out thinking my levels were insanely high and roasting my liver. Thankfully it was fine but I had serious anxiety..like an anxiety attack for a good hour.
Not the same as a 'mistake' but also, when I was 15 I was admitted, and a new pediatrician that wasn't my doctor, but on call, came into my room in the middle of the night, asked me all kinds of odd questions, and then sent the nurse into my room a bit later with anti psychotic medication he had prescribed me! There had been NO discussion of this with my mother, I had no relationship with this doctor, and I defnitiely wasn't psychotic. (if I had needed antidepresants my mom would have given them to me but this wasn't the case, period)
I didn't know much about this med, but the whole thing was weird to me so I refused it. The next morning my mother found out and went nuts. The doctor got fired by the cheif of medicine-which was something my mom didn't even ask for. Apparently you can not give a minor meds like that unauthorized by parents.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
That's why DS hasn't been left alone either during his hospitalizations. When he was a baby, a nurse once gave him a bottle without enzymes while I made a quick run to the cafeteria. Another time a couple years ago, they tried to give him an oral syringe of keflex -- he'd been taking pills for quite a while. But for the most part, the hospital has been fine -- nowdays checking and rechecking id tags with the numbers on the meds.

Several years ago my sister was in for a minor surgical procedure and preop they came to do an EKG and she said "I've never had one of those before" -- again it was whoops -- patient across the room needed it. She was having a kidney removed due to a tumor, so I harassed my sister that they were going to harvest her kidneys while she was under the knife.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
That's why DS hasn't been left alone either during his hospitalizations. When he was a baby, a nurse once gave him a bottle without enzymes while I made a quick run to the cafeteria. Another time a couple years ago, they tried to give him an oral syringe of keflex -- he'd been taking pills for quite a while. But for the most part, the hospital has been fine -- nowdays checking and rechecking id tags with the numbers on the meds.

Several years ago my sister was in for a minor surgical procedure and preop they came to do an EKG and she said "I've never had one of those before" -- again it was whoops -- patient across the room needed it. She was having a kidney removed due to a tumor, so I harassed my sister that they were going to harvest her kidneys while she was under the knife.

markinohio

I haven't had any major issues with med mix-ups. The thing I notice is that sometimes the nurses tend to delay the time I get my meds (insulin mainly) and I have to call them repeatedly. Or they don't have the pills I need when needed. I am diligent about checking things and reminding them what I need. I always wonder about the elderly and indigent who are not aware of what is going on, how many meds to they miss or get wrong throughout the day??
In defense of nurses, I know they are usually short staffed and trying to take care of many patients. Most nurses do a very good job, in my opinion.
Mark, age 43.

markinohio

I haven't had any major issues with med mix-ups. The thing I notice is that sometimes the nurses tend to delay the time I get my meds (insulin mainly) and I have to call them repeatedly. Or they don't have the pills I need when needed. I am diligent about checking things and reminding them what I need. I always wonder about the elderly and indigent who are not aware of what is going on, how many meds to they miss or get wrong throughout the day??
In defense of nurses, I know they are usually short staffed and trying to take care of many patients. Most nurses do a very good job, in my opinion.
Mark, age 43.

Tisha

Jonathan: I've had the very same. Even serious medication problems. And once they also came to draw blood when it was supposed to be from the patient next door. Also, countless times have I had to point out to the nurses that my colistin was to be IV not inhaled. Fortunate that we know about our treatments, but poor patients who just are passive!

Tisha

Jonathan: I've had the very same. Even serious medication problems. And once they also came to draw blood when it was supposed to be from the patient next door. Also, countless times have I had to point out to the nurses that my colistin was to be IV not inhaled. Fortunate that we know about our treatments, but poor patients who just are passive!

I'm in my first semester of nursing school and this is a HUGE deal that they beat into our heads. Check the name on the door, check the chart, check the ID band, ASK the patient their name and birthday. ALWAYS check. So many careworkers don't and that's scary. Medication errors are huge also. You are the biggest advocate for yourself. If you have a child in the hospital, I would suggest not leaving them when you know med rounds are coming. We caught several medication errors when DD was in. They were just Pulmozyme errors, but many antibiotics, pain med's, etc are toxic at the wrong doses and people die every day from med errors. Over 146,000 are CAUGHT everyday, that's not counting the one's that are swept under the rug. Most are minor, some are deadly. We're taught to teach teach teach patients about med's and not to get aggravated when they question you. If it's a new medication ASK questions about side-effects, adverse reactions, anything and everything that you can think of, ask. If you don't recognize the medication (could be generic when you're used to a specific brand) ASK what it is before you take it. Keep a journal of what you're taking and when you need it. Never be passive about treatment, and if the nurse, RT, PT, doc, or whoever else gets mad when you ask, oh well. Their job is to take care of you, but it's also your job. As a nursing student and (hopefully) as a nurse, my job will be to check behind the doctor. Check for interactions, check for prescription errors, check check check. As a mother of a child with a chronic illness, my job is to check after the doctors, check after the nurses, check check check. Educate yourself on everything.

I'm in my first semester of nursing school and this is a HUGE deal that they beat into our heads. Check the name on the door, check the chart, check the ID band, ASK the patient their name and birthday. ALWAYS check. So many careworkers don't and that's scary. Medication errors are huge also. You are the biggest advocate for yourself. If you have a child in the hospital, I would suggest not leaving them when you know med rounds are coming. We caught several medication errors when DD was in. They were just Pulmozyme errors, but many antibiotics, pain med's, etc are toxic at the wrong doses and people die every day from med errors. Over 146,000 are CAUGHT everyday, that's not counting the one's that are swept under the rug. Most are minor, some are deadly. We're taught to teach teach teach patients about med's and not to get aggravated when they question you. If it's a new medication ASK questions about side-effects, adverse reactions, anything and everything that you can think of, ask. If you don't recognize the medication (could be generic when you're used to a specific brand) ASK what it is before you take it. Keep a journal of what you're taking and when you need it. Never be passive about treatment, and if the nurse, RT, PT, doc, or whoever else gets mad when you ask, oh well. Their job is to take care of you, but it's also your job. As a nursing student and (hopefully) as a nurse, my job will be to check behind the doctor. Check for interactions, check for prescription errors, check check check. As a mother of a child with a chronic illness, my job is to check after the doctors, check after the nurses, check check check. Educate yourself on everything.

Keelyisbored

I never got mixed up medicine wise as far as I know, but I used to get called 'Amy' every time I went into hospital (I'm called Keely). The doctors and nurses all thought I was another CF girl called Amy. I used to correct them at the start and eventually they'd go 'Hi Amy! How are you feeling?' and I'd just go '...fine, thanks...'
Sadly, a few years later she added me on facebook and about two days later died.

Keelyisbored

I never got mixed up medicine wise as far as I know, but I used to get called 'Amy' every time I went into hospital (I'm called Keely). The doctors and nurses all thought I was another CF girl called Amy. I used to correct them at the start and eventually they'd go 'Hi Amy! How are you feeling?' and I'd just go '...fine, thanks...'
Sadly, a few years later she added me on facebook and about two days later died.