Having More Children

ColbysMom

Thanks so much for the advice Megan. It's a very hard decision, but my husband and I feel that $10,000 is nothing compared to the cost of a child with cf! Let me know how things go! Thanks,

ColbysMom

Thanks so much for the advice Megan. It's a very hard decision, but my husband and I feel that $10,000 is nothing compared to the cost of a child with cf! Let me know how things go! Thanks,

ColbysMom

ColbysMom

ColbysMom

BecV

Hi Colbys Mum,

My husband and I went through the process of IVF/PGD in April of this year. We too are in the same position as you...we have a 2year old daughter with CF and desperatly want to give her a brother or sister to grow up with.

Our IVF experience is a little different to most though as my husband carries a rare CF mutation and at the time of our IVF his gene could not be tested in the PDG. We unfortuately had no success....

Your situation could be alot brighter though....and the cost of our PGD was $2500 and the IVF cycle was about $12000. We do live in Australia.

As with Andrea's reply PGD is not 100% accurate and there is a chance that an embryo with CF could slip through.

It is a really hard decision to make...emotionally and financially. I wish you all the best and I have my fingers crossed for you both.

Bec

BecV

Hi Colbys Mum,

My husband and I went through the process of IVF/PGD in April of this year. We too are in the same position as you...we have a 2year old daughter with CF and desperatly want to give her a brother or sister to grow up with.

Our IVF experience is a little different to most though as my husband carries a rare CF mutation and at the time of our IVF his gene could not be tested in the PDG. We unfortuately had no success....

Your situation could be alot brighter though....and the cost of our PGD was $2500 and the IVF cycle was about $12000. We do live in Australia.

As with Andrea's reply PGD is not 100% accurate and there is a chance that an embryo with CF could slip through.

It is a really hard decision to make...emotionally and financially. I wish you all the best and I have my fingers crossed for you both.

Bec

BecV

Hi Colbys Mum,

Bec

BecV

Hi Colbys Mum,

Bec

BecV

Hi Colbys Mum,
<br />
<br />My husband and I went through the process of IVF/PGD in April of this year. We too are in the same position as you...we have a 2year old daughter with CF and desperatly want to give her a brother or sister to grow up with.
<br />
<br />Our IVF experience is a little different to most though as my husband carries a rare CF mutation and at the time of our IVF his gene could not be tested in the PDG. We unfortuately had no success....
<br />
<br />Your situation could be alot brighter though....and the cost of our PGD was $2500 and the IVF cycle was about $12000. We do live in Australia.
<br />
<br />As with Andrea's reply PGD is not 100% accurate and there is a chance that an embryo with CF could slip through.
<br />
<br />It is a really hard decision to make...emotionally and financially. I wish you all the best and I have my fingers crossed for you both.
<br />
<br />Bec

Lonespruce

Hi,
My husband and I are both DF508 carriers as well. We looked into IVF w/PGD, and adoption but decided to go with IUI and donor sperm from a screened donor. I guess we view it as a partial adoption without piles of 'red tape'...or waiting to deal with, and all the control over the pregnancy. It took 4 tries, but here I sit 6 months pregnant. Our son w/cf is almost 4 and extremely excited to be a big brother. I'm estimating that it ended up costing us about $4500? Good luck with your decision.

Lonespruce

Hi,
My husband and I are both DF508 carriers as well. We looked into IVF w/PGD, and adoption but decided to go with IUI and donor sperm from a screened donor. I guess we view it as a partial adoption without piles of 'red tape'...or waiting to deal with, and all the control over the pregnancy. It took 4 tries, but here I sit 6 months pregnant. Our son w/cf is almost 4 and extremely excited to be a big brother. I'm estimating that it ended up costing us about $4500? Good luck with your decision.

Lonespruce

Hi,

Lonespruce

Hi,

Lonespruce

Hi,
<br />My husband and I are both DF508 carriers as well. We looked into IVF w/PGD, and adoption but decided to go with IUI and donor sperm from a screened donor. I guess we view it as a partial adoption without piles of 'red tape'...or waiting to deal with, and all the control over the pregnancy. It took 4 tries, but here I sit 6 months pregnant. Our son w/cf is almost 4 and extremely excited to be a big brother. I'm estimating that it ended up costing us about $4500? Good luck with your decision.