Hearing loss from IV Tobramycin

katyf13

I'll put on my speech-language pathologist hat ;-)
Don't be afraid of the stigma of signs. You'd be surprised at how many people with and without hearing impairments use it. Because she is still young you can expose her to many strategies and she can eventually choose the ones that work best for her: signs, lip-reading, FM devices in school, hearing aids, etc...
Any other questions, please feel free to ask! I have a lot of resources if you need them ;-)

katyf13

Don't be afraid of the stigma of signs. You'd be surprised at how many people with and without hearing impairments use it. Because she is still young you can expose her to many strategies and she can eventually choose the ones that work best for her: signs, lip-reading, FM devices in school, hearing aids, etc...
Any other questions, please feel free to ask! I have a lot of resources if you need them ;-)

katyf13

katyf13

katyf13

HMS

Hi I am a mother of a 3 year old girl. My daughter has a moderate/ sev hearing loss, which I found really hard to deal with. I'd say more so then CF. Yes it sucks but with hearing it changes everything. Until now I didn't really know why or how this could have happened but reading your story my daughter to has been on Tobramycin as an infant. She was born at 29weeks so was pretty sick. It makes me so mad to think a medication could or has done this to her and I had no idea it was even possible. I can't even tell you how up set I am to hear this and I feel bad for you too. My point for wrighting was to tell you that we've received help from the Children's Meraical Network in our community, the social worker from my daughters Cf clinic helped us and we've recently purchased a FM system which is nice. Anyways something to look into and think about. I'm not sure where you live but maybe you have something like that you can get help from. Good luck
HMS

HMS

Hi I am a mother of a 3 year old girl. My daughter has a moderate/ sev hearing loss, which I found really hard to deal with. I'd say more so then CF. Yes it sucks but with hearing it changes everything. Until now I didn't really know why or how this could have happened but reading your story my daughter to has been on Tobramycin as an infant. She was born at 29weeks so was pretty sick. It makes me so mad to think a medication could or has done this to her and I had no idea it was even possible. I can't even tell you how up set I am to hear this and I feel bad for you too. My point for wrighting was to tell you that we've received help from the Children's Meraical Network in our community, the social worker from my daughters Cf clinic helped us and we've recently purchased a FM system which is nice. Anyways something to look into and think about. I'm not sure where you live but maybe you have something like that you can get help from. Good luck
HMS

HMS

HMS

HMS

HMS

HMS

HMS

gahitstoni

I just recently got a hearing test done due to difficulty communicating (had to watch subtitles, people thought I wasn't listening, only hearing what I wanted to hear, constantly asking people to repeat themselves) and I too have lost my high pitch hearing. If it is any help to anyone, the difficulty with high pitch hearing loss is that consonants fall in that range, so many can't tell the difference between words such as "touch" and "tough". This happening all the time makes it very difficult to communicate effectively. I'm currently at the point where I can choose to get hearing aids or not. I constantly hear ringing, but that is permanent. Some ideas were given to me seeing as I am a nurse and communication is very important. First of all, turn up volume. That seems obvious. Make sure people look at you when they talk and have them talk a little slower. Also, when listening to things like music, turn up the treble and turn DOWN the bass. At this point in my life, it may be incredibly important for me to get hearing aids, but I'm trying to put off the expense as long as possible. There are new hearing aids that are blue tooth compatible and work with TONS of different things. If I choose to look into hearing aids, they will be my first choice because regardless, hearing aids are expensive. Why spend 4,000 bucks on a decent pair of hearing aids when I can spend 5,000 or so on AMAZING hearing aids? Haha. There is nothing you can do about these stupid aminogylcosides and their effects, so all we can do is laugh.

gahitstoni

I just recently got a hearing test done due to difficulty communicating (had to watch subtitles, people thought I wasn't listening, only hearing what I wanted to hear, constantly asking people to repeat themselves) and I too have lost my high pitch hearing. If it is any help to anyone, the difficulty with high pitch hearing loss is that consonants fall in that range, so many can't tell the difference between words such as "touch" and "tough". This happening all the time makes it very difficult to communicate effectively. I'm currently at the point where I can choose to get hearing aids or not. I constantly hear ringing, but that is permanent. Some ideas were given to me seeing as I am a nurse and communication is very important. First of all, turn up volume. That seems obvious. Make sure people look at you when they talk and have them talk a little slower. Also, when listening to things like music, turn up the treble and turn DOWN the bass. At this point in my life, it may be incredibly important for me to get hearing aids, but I'm trying to put off the expense as long as possible. There are new hearing aids that are blue tooth compatible and work with TONS of different things. If I choose to look into hearing aids, they will be my first choice because regardless, hearing aids are expensive. Why spend 4,000 bucks on a decent pair of hearing aids when I can spend 5,000 or so on AMAZING hearing aids? Haha. There is nothing you can do about these stupid aminogylcosides and their effects, so all we can do is laugh.

gahitstoni

gahitstoni

gahitstoni