Hello everyone, NY CFer, new to this blog thing

I just turned 28 and have been going to Albany Medical Center for my CF for the past 20 years. In Peds they were aggressive with treatment, visits every two months, throat cultures every time, antibiotics, annual blood draws, x-rays the whole nine yards.

I was with out insurance for two years from the age of 21-23 I started atthe adult clinic with all new doctors and a completely different approach. The first thing my doctor said to me was "so why is it you think you have CF?", because my lungs were still clear despite not having any treatments for two or more years, and then he said "so what is it you want me to do for you?" . I was so blown away I didn't know what to say.

I don't know where to start. To try to make a long story short, since I have been back to the adult clinic (for the past five years) I have had 3 x-rays done, the third was only two days ago, 2 throat cultures, maybe 4 blood draws, a glucose tolerance test that was over 200 both for the first and second hour, and antibiotic therapy maybe 5 times in the last 5 years. I had to practically beg to do DNASE once a day and when I wanted to do it twice a day the doctor told me NO, and do the hypertonic saline if I wanted. And his response to the high sugars "the next time you go to the endocrinologist, mention it to him". To this day I can't remember any patient teaching occuring since I have been in the adult clinic.

I only worked part time for the longest time and then I got a full time job but still couldn't afford my medications, my doctors answer get rid of all your cats and then you can affor your meds. So he told me the next time I came in that he wanted me to get rid of most of my cats (that never happened). Well five years later I still struggle with the doctors who don't seem to do much, medical bills I only can handle because my boyfriend pays for my medical copays. I am also a Nursing student, graduating in May 2008, currently a new LPN and college grad. I feel everytime I go to the doctors they don't listen to me, they don't take me seriously because I don't show "text book" symptoms, I used to be non-compliant, and they definately don't treat me medically like peds did.

I have come home in tears from frustration because I don't know what to do. The past year I have turned my self around medically and have been compliant but how do I fight this disease if my doctors sit back and do very little patient teaching and treating? EVERY time I go to the CF center my doctor seems more concerned that I don't take birth control than I may have an infection brewing. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ! ! ! ! To add insult to injury the last time I had a BAD sinus infection where I would wake up every 30 minutes coughing from the phlem I had to call into work sick because I didn't want to get my patients in ICU sick. I called my mom crying because I didn't know what to do I usually don't get sick like this very often, she told me to call the CF doctors (on a Saturday), can you believe the doctor would not give me an anitbiotic because I was not on birth control. He wanted me to go to the ER to get a pregnancy test done first, then when I got my period a couple of hours later, he still refused to call in a Rx.

Just recently my lung function went down 5%, they told me to do TOBI for three weeks and have another PFT done. Of course I had to ask for an x-ray (again) which it seems like he still didn't want to do, and I had to ask 4 times to get my results of my last sputum which turned out to have MRSA in it but apparently that is not a concern for them because they sat on the results for the last 3 months and have no intentions of treating me now.

I am so confussed, frustrated, hurt, dumbfounded, and don't know what to do.

I just want to say sorry for the long blog, I have all these pent up frustrations and am at a total loss. Any suggestion would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I just turned 28 and have been going to Albany Medical Center for my CF for the past 20 years. In Peds they were aggressive with treatment, visits every two months, throat cultures every time, antibiotics, annual blood draws, x-rays the whole nine yards.

I was with out insurance for two years from the age of 21-23 I started atthe adult clinic with all new doctors and a completely different approach. The first thing my doctor said to me was "so why is it you think you have CF?", because my lungs were still clear despite not having any treatments for two or more years, and then he said "so what is it you want me to do for you?" . I was so blown away I didn't know what to say.

I don't know where to start. To try to make a long story short, since I have been back to the adult clinic (for the past five years) I have had 3 x-rays done, the third was only two days ago, 2 throat cultures, maybe 4 blood draws, a glucose tolerance test that was over 200 both for the first and second hour, and antibiotic therapy maybe 5 times in the last 5 years. I had to practically beg to do DNASE once a day and when I wanted to do it twice a day the doctor told me NO, and do the hypertonic saline if I wanted. And his response to the high sugars "the next time you go to the endocrinologist, mention it to him". To this day I can't remember any patient teaching occuring since I have been in the adult clinic.

I only worked part time for the longest time and then I got a full time job but still couldn't afford my medications, my doctors answer get rid of all your cats and then you can affor your meds. So he told me the next time I came in that he wanted me to get rid of most of my cats (that never happened). Well five years later I still struggle with the doctors who don't seem to do much, medical bills I only can handle because my boyfriend pays for my medical copays. I am also a Nursing student, graduating in May 2008, currently a new LPN and college grad. I feel everytime I go to the doctors they don't listen to me, they don't take me seriously because I don't show "text book" symptoms, I used to be non-compliant, and they definately don't treat me medically like peds did.

I have come home in tears from frustration because I don't know what to do. The past year I have turned my self around medically and have been compliant but how do I fight this disease if my doctors sit back and do very little patient teaching and treating? EVERY time I go to the CF center my doctor seems more concerned that I don't take birth control than I may have an infection brewing. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ! ! ! ! To add insult to injury the last time I had a BAD sinus infection where I would wake up every 30 minutes coughing from the phlem I had to call into work sick because I didn't want to get my patients in ICU sick. I called my mom crying because I didn't know what to do I usually don't get sick like this very often, she told me to call the CF doctors (on a Saturday), can you believe the doctor would not give me an anitbiotic because I was not on birth control. He wanted me to go to the ER to get a pregnancy test done first, then when I got my period a couple of hours later, he still refused to call in a Rx.

Just recently my lung function went down 5%, they told me to do TOBI for three weeks and have another PFT done. Of course I had to ask for an x-ray (again) which it seems like he still didn't want to do, and I had to ask 4 times to get my results of my last sputum which turned out to have MRSA in it but apparently that is not a concern for them because they sat on the results for the last 3 months and have no intentions of treating me now.

I just want to say sorry for the long blog, I have all these pent up frustrations and am at a total loss. Any suggestion would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Mockingbird

Just curious, why is it you are begging to do DNAse? You complained about financial problems and hypertonic saline is a lot cheaper. It sounds like you're pretty healthy, and hypertonic sailine is very effective, so I don't understand why DNAse would be so important. Also, why are you asking for x-rays so much? That seems to me like an unnecessary expense.

I'm sorry to say this, but it kind of sounds like you're trying to play doctor, and your doctor is trying to prevent you from doing a bunch of expensive, unnecessary stuff.

My pediatric clinic was very aggressive in their treatment just like yours was. When I switched to the adult clinic I also got an attitude of "so what is it you want me to do for you?", and it was uncomfortable at first, but then I realized they were treating me like an adult, and now I love it. I feel like my pediatric clinic made a lot of things sound more serious than they really are, so when I switched to the adult clinic and there was such a lack of concern, it was a shock. However, I've learned that if my doctor isn't panicking over something, it is because it is not worth panicking about.

I know you came here looking for support, and we all understand how difficult CF can be. Still, you may want to take some time to look at this from a different perspective.

Perhaps your doctor isn't very good at communicating things, and that sucks, but if you need information you can get it here. They probably didn't feel the need to tell you about MRSA because it really isn't a big deal anymore. Pretty much everyone has it, and it is kind of pointless to try to treat it. The only reason for taking an antibiotic when you have MRSA is to keep any new infections from forming.

As far as your doctor not giving you an antibiotic because you're not on birth control, that seems like a pretty smart move to me. I mean, a lot of drugs say explicitly, "Do not use if you are pregnant or may become pregnant."

As far as the blood sugar goes, we would have to know more specifics about it, but if you're showing signs of glucose intolerance rather than diabetes, that would explain the doctor's lack of concern.

If you want more agressive treatment, then you should go to a new doctor, but you might want to consider your financial situation first. I mean, if you were a doctor, and your patient told you she was having trouble paying for meds, would you then want to make things even more expensive for her?

I hope you don't read this the wrong way; I'm just trying to help. I am assuming a lot of things, and I don't know everything about your situation so I could be completely wrong. If I am, please let me know.

Mockingbird

Just curious, why is it you are begging to do DNAse? You complained about financial problems and hypertonic saline is a lot cheaper. It sounds like you're pretty healthy, and hypertonic sailine is very effective, so I don't understand why DNAse would be so important. Also, why are you asking for x-rays so much? That seems to me like an unnecessary expense.

I'm sorry to say this, but it kind of sounds like you're trying to play doctor, and your doctor is trying to prevent you from doing a bunch of expensive, unnecessary stuff.

My pediatric clinic was very aggressive in their treatment just like yours was. When I switched to the adult clinic I also got an attitude of "so what is it you want me to do for you?", and it was uncomfortable at first, but then I realized they were treating me like an adult, and now I love it. I feel like my pediatric clinic made a lot of things sound more serious than they really are, so when I switched to the adult clinic and there was such a lack of concern, it was a shock. However, I've learned that if my doctor isn't panicking over something, it is because it is not worth panicking about.

I know you came here looking for support, and we all understand how difficult CF can be. Still, you may want to take some time to look at this from a different perspective.

Perhaps your doctor isn't very good at communicating things, and that sucks, but if you need information you can get it here. They probably didn't feel the need to tell you about MRSA because it really isn't a big deal anymore. Pretty much everyone has it, and it is kind of pointless to try to treat it. The only reason for taking an antibiotic when you have MRSA is to keep any new infections from forming.

As far as your doctor not giving you an antibiotic because you're not on birth control, that seems like a pretty smart move to me. I mean, a lot of drugs say explicitly, "Do not use if you are pregnant or may become pregnant."

As far as the blood sugar goes, we would have to know more specifics about it, but if you're showing signs of glucose intolerance rather than diabetes, that would explain the doctor's lack of concern.

If you want more agressive treatment, then you should go to a new doctor, but you might want to consider your financial situation first. I mean, if you were a doctor, and your patient told you she was having trouble paying for meds, would you then want to make things even more expensive for her?

I hope you don't read this the wrong way; I'm just trying to help. I am assuming a lot of things, and I don't know everything about your situation so I could be completely wrong. If I am, please let me know.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

Mockingbird