HELP, giving Viokase Powder orally

k2

My child has severe pancreatic insufficiency, is Failure to Thrive, and has had Chronic Diarrhea for all 21 months of his life. We are still searching for more diagnosis'. His new Dr. has put him on Viokase Powder to be added to formula, breast milk or food before each meal. My ds also has severe feeding aversions and is 95% breast fed. We found Peptamen OS that he will tolerate and are trying to transition him to it and to solid foods.
How do you give Viokase powder to a toddler? Can a pharmacy flavor it? Can you mix it with chocolate syrup? I tried applesauce and had to force feed it with a syringe, like I did with Ceron, but this stuff tastes horrid. I gag on the applesauce myself. Please help.

k2

My child has severe pancreatic insufficiency, is Failure to Thrive, and has had Chronic Diarrhea for all 21 months of his life. We are still searching for more diagnosis'. His new Dr. has put him on Viokase Powder to be added to formula, breast milk or food before each meal. My ds also has severe feeding aversions and is 95% breast fed. We found Peptamen OS that he will tolerate and are trying to transition him to it and to solid foods.
How do you give Viokase powder to a toddler? Can a pharmacy flavor it? Can you mix it with chocolate syrup? I tried applesauce and had to force feed it with a syringe, like I did with Ceron, but this stuff tastes horrid. I gag on the applesauce myself. Please help.

k2

k2

k2

<br />How do you give Viokase powder to a toddler? Can a pharmacy flavor it? Can you mix it with chocolate syrup? I tried applesauce and had to force feed it with a syringe, like I did with Ceron, but this stuff tastes horrid. I gag on the applesauce myself. Please help.

crickit715

viokase powder should not be given orally!!!!!!! our hospital nicu staff gave it to my daughter for 3 days orally when she was first born because her cf doc was out of the office and when she got back they got in BIG trouble! she informed me that the enzyme in viokase is so strong it "burns" the infants as it goes down!!! thats why they hate it so much! it should only be used in a feeding tube situation!! they switched her right away to the regular enzyme microspheres that we had to put in applesauce!

crickit715

viokase powder should not be given orally!!!!!!! our hospital nicu staff gave it to my daughter for 3 days orally when she was first born because her cf doc was out of the office and when she got back they got in BIG trouble! she informed me that the enzyme in viokase is so strong it "burns" the infants as it goes down!!! thats why they hate it so much! it should only be used in a feeding tube situation!! they switched her right away to the regular enzyme microspheres that we had to put in applesauce!

crickit715

crickit715

crickit715

M

Mommafirst

Some of the adults on the board may be of some help. As I understand it, viokase was one of the first pancreatic enzyme replacements, but that as the enterically coated enzymes were introduced the powder became a thing of the past and no one was sad. If you HAVE to use it, you may want to post over ont he adult board for their input.

M

Mommafirst

Some of the adults on the board may be of some help. As I understand it, viokase was one of the first pancreatic enzyme replacements, but that as the enterically coated enzymes were introduced the powder became a thing of the past and no one was sad. If you HAVE to use it, you may want to post over ont he adult board for their input.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst