Help, my 1 year old won't take her enzymes

Lyndyb

My daughter was diagnosed with CF at 4 weeks old. She has been taking her enzymes with applesauce this entire time. I think she is tired of applesauce now. I have put them in her yogurt, banana's and anything I can think of. Sometimes she just won't open her mouth, it's like she knows they are in whatever I am giving her. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Printer

If she doesn't take enzymes, she will have stomach aches. Soon she will learn it is best to take enzymes. Even at age 1.

Bill

G

Mom

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. My ds is 2 and once in a while doesn't want his enzymes either - its so tough. I try to give him a choice of applesauce or pears and if that doesn't help we let him down from the table to play for a few minutes and then try again. We give the enzymes directly before food and if he is not wanting them I bring over something he really likes (milk w heavy cream) to get him motivated. He often wants his milk so much that he just opens his mouth anyway. I have been told several times that the enzymes need to be delivered in something acidic. Applesauce or pears were the dieticians recommendations. She said giving in something else like dairy especially can remove the coating on the beads before it gets to their stomach and can make them less effective. I think that only applies when you are opening up the pills and giving the beads. Wishing you good luck and happy eating!

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
My daughter was 8 when diagnosed, so I don't have personal experience giving a 1 year old enzymes. But, I have heard of people using chocolate sauce, jelly, or honey when there little ones were refusing the enzymes. I also heard of ketchup (yuck), but whatever your child likes and might see as a treat could work.

beautifulsoul

Super Moderator
When I got tired of apple sauce my parents used pudding, whipped cream or chocolate syrup. I hope you figure out what she will be willing to eat soon! Good luck

*hugs*

Lyndyb

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it very much! I had not thought of pudding and she does like it! She has done better today for some reason, not complaining, maybe she was just having a few bad days.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hang on here. I'm wondering if you are trying to put her enzymes in her food when she's not looking? Of course she knows there is something in there. No doubt. I did the same thing when my little doll was an infant. Sometimes without realizing it. I would pour his enzymes in his food at the counter, behind the high chair, and then expect him to eat them. No go ! He would just turn away or wave me off. I discovered that he was downright suspicious. He knew there was something in there, but didn't know what or why. After conversations with the dietician, I starting taking the enzyme bottle over to the table, opening them up in front of him, sprinkling them on his food, and offering it to him, as I said, "these are your enzymes. They will make you big and strong!" He would just look with fascination as I mixed them. And still wouldn't take them. I absolutely refused to make a big deal out of it. I would just put them aside and keep feeding him his food without the enzymes. You can't let him starve. Sometimes I would take a bite of the enzymes myself. Nonchalantly you understand. Ummmmm, yummy! Make Mommy big and strong. Keep offering them, mixing them in front of your baby, making them sound yummy and saying how good they are for them. Eventually they will eat them. Now that they know they ARE SUPPOSED to be in there, and you're not trying to sneak one over on them! She's just a smartie, she knows there's something in there you're HIDING and not trusting you. You can't hide them from her forever. Get it out there and be honest and open with her. I also encountered the "i cant stand applesauce anymore" problem. Our solution was tapioca - yes it was alkaline but we mixed them and fed them immediately and he loved the stuff so it worked great. It also has those little beads in it naturally so it was a good mask for the enzymes. Similar consistency. Eventually we also switched to ketchup. It was great. . . . Bring packets to daycare or school, easy to transport and mix. Throw in your purse or diaper bag with no mess. Acidic. Conveniently found in any fast food restaurant if you ran out. And what kid doesn't love ketchup! That got us covered until he switched to just swallowing them whole. Good Luck!

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Hang on here. I'm wondering if you are trying to put her enzymes in her food when she's not looking? Of course she knows there is something in there. No doubt. I did the same thing when my little doll was an infant. Sometimes without realizing it. I would pour his enzymes in his food at the counter, behind the high chair, and then expect him to eat them. No go ! He would just turn away or wave me off. I discovered that he was downright suspicious. He knew there was something in there, but didn't know what or why. After conversations with the dietician, I starting taking the enzyme bottle over to the table, opening them up in front of him, sprinkling them on his food, and offering it to him, as I said, "these are your enzymes. They will make you big and strong!" He would just look with fascination as I mixed them. And still wouldn't take them. I absolutely refused to make a big deal out of it. I would just put them aside and keep feeding him his food without the enzymes. You can't let him starve. Sometimes I would take a bite of the enzymes myself. Nonchalantly you understand. Ummmmm, yummy! Make Mommy big and strong. Keep offering them, mixing them in front of your baby, making them sound yummy and saying how good they are for them. Eventually they will eat them. Now that they know they ARE SUPPOSED to be in there, and you're not trying to sneak one over on them! She's just a smartie, she knows there's something in there you're HIDING and not trusting you. You can't hide them from her forever. Get it out there and be honest and open with her. I also encountered the "i cant stand applesauce anymore" problem. Our solution was tapioca - yes it was alkaline but we mixed them and fed them immediately and he loved the stuff so it worked great. It also has those little beads in it naturally so it was a good mask for the enzymes. Similar consistency. Eventually we also switched to ketchup. It was great. . . . Bring packets to daycare or school, easy to transport and mix. Throw in your purse or diaper bag with no mess. Acidic. Conveniently found in any fast food restaurant if you ran out. And what kid doesn't love ketchup! That got us covered until he switched to just swallowing them whole. Good Luck!

briarrose

That was about the age we switched to level 2 pears for the enzymes instead of applesauce. At 20-months-old, we're still doing the pears. And, we have refused to feed him when he's refused enzymes. We said, if you're not going to eat this, then you're getting down and you can't have your bottle. It only took one meal for him to understand that he had to take it.

briarrose

One other thing to consider with that age. Whenever my son is getting a new tooth, it's hard for us to get him to take anything, not just enzymes. So, if it only lasts for a few days, she might be getting a new tooth and just doesn't want to open her mouth.

cfmom2006

When my daughter found out i was putting something in her apple sauce i did just what you are doing and nothing worked. I tried sprite on a spoon and put the pills in that she had no problem taking them now she is 6 and takes them hole like she should hope this helps

mom24dodd

My son is 7- and because he also has Autism - I am still giving him enzymes spoon fed in applesauce. He did have a phase in school where he was not taking.
We used everything - even cake frosting! Just keep trying - eventually they know this is the drill.

mom24dodd

My son is 7- and because he also has Autism - I am still giving him enzymes spoon fed in applesauce. He did have a phase in school where he was not taking.
We used everything - even cake frosting! Just keep trying - eventually they know this is the drill.

My parents always told me that the enzymes were sprinkles and that convinced me to take them. But when I was 2 I started to take them whole so I had no problems taking them. Many something to try when she is older is to set the capsule in front of her with water and see what happens. Best of luck.

PJMak1985

I used to hide my enzymes everywhere, under my plate, lick em and stick em under my seats, in couch cushions. Dont ask me why, I suppose its the defiant nature of young children. Don't put them in her food while shes looking. If you do use food, use some with a grainy texture so the spheres are not to be noticed, such as with mushed strawberry or some other fibrous fruit. And one thing that my mother never did was give up trying. It will be one of the most frustrating things in early childhood you will deal with. they will not understand the connection between their stomach ache and the pills. Just keep at it. Sometimes you will fail, their stomach will hurt, their weight will fluctuate. All is normal. Just treat her with love and a stubborn demeanor. she'll get hungry enough as where you can sneak them in.

I also used whipped cream after my son stopped liking baby food. He was diagnosed at 3 weeks through newborn screenings. He is now 10 and he's fat and sassy as ever lol