Help please!!!!!

nicole781

Patrica,

Am i reading it correctly that your CF clinic said they don't want to start Cheyenne on enzymes until she starts solids?

nicole781

Patrica,

Am i reading it correctly that your CF clinic said they don't want to start Cheyenne on enzymes until she starts solids?

nicole781

Patrica,

nicole781

Patrica,

nicole781

Patrica,

3gr8kids

hey its nice to see someone knows something about some of these mutations...Do you know where i can find out more info? my kiddos have df508 and t116L

3gr8kids

hey its nice to see someone knows something about some of these mutations...Do you know where i can find out more info? my kiddos have df508 and t116L

3gr8kids

3gr8kids

3gr8kids

JORDYSMOM

Welcom to the site. Below, I've listed some info that Emily65Roses gave me a while back when someone had a question about mutations. Also, you can do a search and read all of the discussions here about them. Another good source of information is LightNlife's blog. She has links to all sorts of articles and information. There are a lot of well informed members here and I know they will be happy to explain things to you.

I'm sorry you are faced with this disease. This site is full of support and information. I firmly believe that knowledge is power and there is much knowledge to be obtained here. I wish you and your family the best.

Stacey

Class I: Defective protein production with premature termination of CFTR production. Class 1 mutations produce few or no functioning CFTR chloride channels

Class II: Defective trafficking of CFTR so that it does not reach the apical surface membrane where it is intended to function

Class III: Defective regulation of CFTR even though it is able to reach the apical cell surface

Class IV: CFTR reaches the apical surface but conduction through the channel is defective

Class V: Associated with reduced synthesis of functional CFTR

(Source: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismedic...CFdocs/CFText/gene.htm">http://www.cysticfibrosismedic...CFdocs/CFText/gene.htm</a> )

Everything in this following paragraph is simply my interpretation of that information above, in easier to understand terms. I may be a little off in explaining them, so don't quote me. If anyone understands it better, feel free to correct me where necessary.
The CFTR stands for Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator (CFTR). It's basically a channel between cells that doesn't work right in CFers. Class I, in lamen's terms, as it says above, produce no or few CFTRs. Class II has CFTRs but they don't travel to the right places, Class III has CFTRs, and they get to the right place, they're just not 100% functional. Class IV the CFTRs are there, they get to the right place, and they work well, but the channel creates a problem. And Class V has CFTRs that function correctly, just not all the time (basically, they have some working ones and some not).

As you can see, the descriptions of the defect get milder as the Class number gets higher. You go from "no CFTRs" in a Class I, to "sometimes they don't work" in a Class V. Big difference.

-------------------------
Emily. 23 w/CF.
*Dating Mike since 8-11-03*
*Getting married on 4-9-10*

Edited: 06/15/2007 at 03:21 PM by Emily65Roses

JORDYSMOM

Welcom to the site. Below, I've listed some info that Emily65Roses gave me a while back when someone had a question about mutations. Also, you can do a search and read all of the discussions here about them. Another good source of information is LightNlife's blog. She has links to all sorts of articles and information. There are a lot of well informed members here and I know they will be happy to explain things to you.

I'm sorry you are faced with this disease. This site is full of support and information. I firmly believe that knowledge is power and there is much knowledge to be obtained here. I wish you and your family the best.

Stacey

Class I: Defective protein production with premature termination of CFTR production. Class 1 mutations produce few or no functioning CFTR chloride channels

Class II: Defective trafficking of CFTR so that it does not reach the apical surface membrane where it is intended to function

Class III: Defective regulation of CFTR even though it is able to reach the apical cell surface

Class IV: CFTR reaches the apical surface but conduction through the channel is defective

(Source: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cysticfibrosismedic...CFdocs/CFText/gene.htm">http://www.cysticfibrosismedic...CFdocs/CFText/gene.htm</a> )

Everything in this following paragraph is simply my interpretation of that information above, in easier to understand terms. I may be a little off in explaining them, so don't quote me. If anyone understands it better, feel free to correct me where necessary.
The CFTR stands for Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator (CFTR). It's basically a channel between cells that doesn't work right in CFers. Class I, in lamen's terms, as it says above, produce no or few CFTRs. Class II has CFTRs but they don't travel to the right places, Class III has CFTRs, and they get to the right place, they're just not 100% functional. Class IV the CFTRs are there, they get to the right place, and they work well, but the channel creates a problem. And Class V has CFTRs that function correctly, just not all the time (basically, they have some working ones and some not).

As you can see, the descriptions of the defect get milder as the Class number gets higher. You go from "no CFTRs" in a Class I, to "sometimes they don't work" in a Class V. Big difference.

Emily. 23 w/CF.

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

Emily. 23 w/CF.

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

Emily. 23 w/CF.

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

Emily. 23 w/CF.