HELP!

thefrogprincess

Here is what I think is happening. You tell me if it makes sense to you or if you've had a similar experience.

I started IV tobra and meropenem yesterday. Tobra I've had before, meropenem is new. About an hour after my first infusion today I started to get achy. This is not unusual for me especially at that time of day. I took some aleve but before it kicked in the pain got pretty bad. Then it happened again after my second infusion but even worse!

Now, meropenem supposedly doesn't cause joint pain, but it does cause headaches. If I get a headache, no matter what the reason (dehydration, sinuses acting up, stress) my whole body will start to ache pretty quick. And I DID feel a headache coming on before the body aches started.

I called the on call nurse for my home infusion company who wants me to run my last dose tonight and my first in the morning to see what happens. This last time though the aleve and then tylenol didn't help the pain as much as it did this morning. He believes that I hurt but is not convinced that its from the meropenem.

I can't keep taking large doses of aleve because I'm on tobra and I like my kidneys just the way they are! I asked if I could take prednisone since that helped the last time I flaired this bad a few months ago (I was NOT on IVs that time). He wants to ask the on call doc tomorrow about it since steroids suppress the immune system.

I CANNOT go 2 weeks like this! What do you guys think?

thefrogprincess

Here is what I think is happening. You tell me if it makes sense to you or if you've had a similar experience.

I started IV tobra and meropenem yesterday. Tobra I've had before, meropenem is new. About an hour after my first infusion today I started to get achy. This is not unusual for me especially at that time of day. I took some aleve but before it kicked in the pain got pretty bad. Then it happened again after my second infusion but even worse!

Now, meropenem supposedly doesn't cause joint pain, but it does cause headaches. If I get a headache, no matter what the reason (dehydration, sinuses acting up, stress) my whole body will start to ache pretty quick. And I DID feel a headache coming on before the body aches started.

I called the on call nurse for my home infusion company who wants me to run my last dose tonight and my first in the morning to see what happens. This last time though the aleve and then tylenol didn't help the pain as much as it did this morning. He believes that I hurt but is not convinced that its from the meropenem.

I can't keep taking large doses of aleve because I'm on tobra and I like my kidneys just the way they are! I asked if I could take prednisone since that helped the last time I flaired this bad a few months ago (I was NOT on IVs that time). He wants to ask the on call doc tomorrow about it since steroids suppress the immune system.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

<br />
<br />I started IV tobra and meropenem yesterday. Tobra I've had before, meropenem is new. About an hour after my first infusion today I started to get achy. This is not unusual for me especially at that time of day. I took some aleve but before it kicked in the pain got pretty bad. Then it happened again after my second infusion but even worse!
<br />
<br />Now, meropenem supposedly doesn't cause joint pain, but it does cause headaches. If I get a headache, no matter what the reason (dehydration, sinuses acting up, stress) my whole body will start to ache pretty quick. And I DID feel a headache coming on before the body aches started.
<br />
<br />I called the on call nurse for my home infusion company who wants me to run my last dose tonight and my first in the morning to see what happens. This last time though the aleve and then tylenol didn't help the pain as much as it did this morning. He believes that I hurt but is not convinced that its from the meropenem.
<br />
<br />I can't keep taking large doses of aleve because I'm on tobra and I like my kidneys just the way they are! I asked if I could take prednisone since that helped the last time I flaired this bad a few months ago (I was NOT on IVs that time). He wants to ask the on call doc tomorrow about it since steroids suppress the immune system.
<br />
<br />I CANNOT go 2 weeks like this! What do you guys think?

thefrogprincess

I was up most of the night in absolute agony. I couldn't lay in one position for more than a couple of minutes. Every part of me hurt. On the 0-10 scale they're so fond of I would have rated this a 9, no joke. I might have said it was a 6 if it hadn't been all over. But just the fact that every inch of me hurt definately deserves hight points. Finally at about 4:30 am my sleeping pills and tylenol kicked in enough to allow me to fall asleep. But I had already decided that I will NOT be doing any more meropenem.

I got up at 8:00 to start my tobra and called the oncall nurse for my home infusion company back. I told him what happened and that no more of that cr@p was going into my body. So as I type he is calling the on call pulmonary fellow at my hospital. I'll let you guys know what they do about this.

thefrogprincess

I was up most of the night in absolute agony. I couldn't lay in one position for more than a couple of minutes. Every part of me hurt. On the 0-10 scale they're so fond of I would have rated this a 9, no joke. I might have said it was a 6 if it hadn't been all over. But just the fact that every inch of me hurt definately deserves hight points. Finally at about 4:30 am my sleeping pills and tylenol kicked in enough to allow me to fall asleep. But I had already decided that I will NOT be doing any more meropenem.

I got up at 8:00 to start my tobra and called the oncall nurse for my home infusion company back. I told him what happened and that no more of that cr@p was going into my body. So as I type he is calling the on call pulmonary fellow at my hospital. I'll let you guys know what they do about this.

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

<br />
<br />I got up at 8:00 to start my tobra and called the oncall nurse for my home infusion company back. I told him what happened and that no more of that cr@p was going into my body. So as I type he is calling the on call pulmonary fellow at my hospital. I'll let you guys know what they do about this.

JazzysMom

OH JESS

I have used both meds & no problems like what you describe. I hope they can find something else for ya!

HUGS

JazzysMom

OH JESS

I have used both meds & no problems like what you describe. I hope they can find something else for ya!

HUGS

JazzysMom

OH JESS

HUGS

JazzysMom

OH JESS

HUGS

JazzysMom

OH JESS
<br />
<br />I have used both meds & no problems like what you describe. I hope they can find something else for ya!
<br />
<br />HUGS

dramamama

Hi jess-
This happened with with with merrem. They had to slow the infusion rate and my body can tolerate it now...what rate are you infusing?

m

dramamama

Hi jess-
This happened with with with merrem. They had to slow the infusion rate and my body can tolerate it now...what rate are you infusing?

m

dramamama

Hi jess-

m

dramamama

Hi jess-

m

dramamama

Hi jess-
<br />This happened with with with merrem. They had to slow the infusion rate and my body can tolerate it now...what rate are you infusing?
<br />
<br />m