hospital stay vs. home iv's

G

giantsfan91

Hey all, I was recently just admitted to the hospital to be desensitized for an IV antibiotic so I had to stay in for a couple of days and got to thinking "man if I had to spend a whole 2 weeks in here I'd go nuts." Normally when I need IV antibiotics I get my PICC placed as an outpatient and have a home nursing service change my dressings and take blood when dr. ordered. I continue my every day activities though. Do any of you guys prefer to stay in the hospital the whole time? And if so, why? I just hated the constant attention because I didn't feel like a hospital stay was necessary and the food was terrible haha.

G

giantsfan91

Hey all, I was recently just admitted to the hospital to be desensitized for an IV antibiotic so I had to stay in for a couple of days and got to thinking "man if I had to spend a whole 2 weeks in here I'd go nuts." Normally when I need IV antibiotics I get my PICC placed as an outpatient and have a home nursing service change my dressings and take blood when dr. ordered. I continue my every day activities though. Do any of you guys prefer to stay in the hospital the whole time? And if so, why? I just hated the constant attention because I didn't feel like a hospital stay was necessary and the food was terrible haha.

G

giantsfan91

cf4life

Funny, I was thinking of writing a similar question tonight. I am currently on lockup. Usually I split time, 7 days in and 7 days at home. I have found this to be a good balance. This time I have decided to try staying in the whole time. I get into a pretty good routine here and its hard to keep up with the rigourous routine at home, especially since I now need to do 3 IV antibiotics, two for PA, one for MRSA, so 9 infusions a day.

I am curious if others feel they get a better cleanout in the hospital or at home.

As far a going nuts, I don't find passing the time so bad since I am constantly just resting, doing treatments, or eating. :) Sometimes it is just a nice timeout from life.

cf4life

Funny, I was thinking of writing a similar question tonight. I am currently on lockup. Usually I split time, 7 days in and 7 days at home. I have found this to be a good balance. This time I have decided to try staying in the whole time. I get into a pretty good routine here and its hard to keep up with the rigourous routine at home, especially since I now need to do 3 IV antibiotics, two for PA, one for MRSA, so 9 infusions a day.

I am curious if others feel they get a better cleanout in the hospital or at home.

As far a going nuts, I don't find passing the time so bad since I am constantly just resting, doing treatments, or eating. :) Sometimes it is just a nice timeout from life.

cf4life

<br />
<br />I am curious if others feel they get a better cleanout in the hospital or at home.
<br />
<br />As far a going nuts, I don't find passing the time so bad since I am constantly just resting, doing treatments, or eating. :) Sometimes it is just a nice timeout from life.

M

MCGrad2006

I would HATE to stay in for two weeks. I can't even sit still at home for two weeks...never mind in ONE ROOM, leaving only with a mask on and for short periods of time. YIKES! I go in for a few days so that the doctor can monitor my blood levels, he claims it is easier to change the dose if needed. And then if the dose is too high, they know right away and can manage it better than if I was home.

I will be joining you in house come tomorrow! BOOOO. I hope to be home Sunday or Monday and will stay on IV's for the full two weeks at home...that way I can go back to working (which I HATE to miss, but that's another story for another day).

Good luck, hope you have lots to do! I will be writing thank you notes from my bridal shower...and watching my alma mater in the NCAA hockey tourney!!!

M

MCGrad2006

I would HATE to stay in for two weeks. I can't even sit still at home for two weeks...never mind in ONE ROOM, leaving only with a mask on and for short periods of time. YIKES! I go in for a few days so that the doctor can monitor my blood levels, he claims it is easier to change the dose if needed. And then if the dose is too high, they know right away and can manage it better than if I was home.

I will be joining you in house come tomorrow! BOOOO. I hope to be home Sunday or Monday and will stay on IV's for the full two weeks at home...that way I can go back to working (which I HATE to miss, but that's another story for another day).

Good luck, hope you have lots to do! I will be writing thank you notes from my bridal shower...and watching my alma mater in the NCAA hockey tourney!!!

M

MCGrad2006

<br />
<br />I will be joining you in house come tomorrow! BOOOO. I hope to be home Sunday or Monday and will stay on IV's for the full two weeks at home...that way I can go back to working (which I HATE to miss, but that's another story for another day).
<br />
<br />Good luck, hope you have lots to do! I will be writing thank you notes from my bridal shower...and watching my alma mater in the NCAA hockey tourney!!!

LouLou

I have a difficult time transferring my care to hospital workers. It puts me on edge and makes me nervous and then this turns to depression because I'm out of my routine and missing my life. I constantly feel like they are Fing up even if it's okay for a med to be an hour early or an hour late I just feel like the screw up so much more than I would at home. The doctor I am with now does not like to have me in hospital in fact...he prefers I not even visit the hospital without a mask on. He has made it clear that I may very well end up more sick than I am otherwise if I have to go inpatient. We are agressive with my care all through home IVs and a port. The port was also his idea as it keeps me from even having to go in to get the PICC placed.

I feel that if I am sick enough to be in the hospital I need an advocate there with me so I can truly rest as I do not feel hospitals are equipped to care for cfers properly. I was last hospitalized in 2008 when I had a bronchial artery embolization and IV antibiotic therapy.

Does anyone else have that complex that everyone's goign to F up if you don't watch them closely?

LouLou

I have a difficult time transferring my care to hospital workers. It puts me on edge and makes me nervous and then this turns to depression because I'm out of my routine and missing my life. I constantly feel like they are Fing up even if it's okay for a med to be an hour early or an hour late I just feel like the screw up so much more than I would at home. The doctor I am with now does not like to have me in hospital in fact...he prefers I not even visit the hospital without a mask on. He has made it clear that I may very well end up more sick than I am otherwise if I have to go inpatient. We are agressive with my care all through home IVs and a port. The port was also his idea as it keeps me from even having to go in to get the PICC placed.

I feel that if I am sick enough to be in the hospital I need an advocate there with me so I can truly rest as I do not feel hospitals are equipped to care for cfers properly. I was last hospitalized in 2008 when I had a bronchial artery embolization and IV antibiotic therapy.

Does anyone else have that complex that everyone's goign to F up if you don't watch them closely?

LouLou

<br />
<br />I feel that if I am sick enough to be in the hospital I need an advocate there with me so I can truly rest as I do not feel hospitals are equipped to care for cfers properly. I was last hospitalized in 2008 when I had a bronchial artery embolization and IV antibiotic therapy.
<br />
<br />Does anyone else have that complex that everyone's goign to F up if you don't watch them closely?

mamerth

I much prefer to do my tune ups in the hospital the entire time (2 weeks). I can't handle all the IV drugs at home. The drugs zap me and I can't keep up with everyday stuff. I use the time in the hospital to rest... I can't do that at home.

mamerth

I much prefer to do my tune ups in the hospital the entire time (2 weeks). I can't handle all the IV drugs at home. The drugs zap me and I can't keep up with everyday stuff. I use the time in the hospital to rest... I can't do that at home.

mamerth

G

giantsfan91

@LouLou, I felt that the hospital was messing up left and right when I was in that's another reason why i hated it. It made me feel like if i wasn't monitoring what they were giving me, no one was going to. Prior to me being admitted, i had blood drawn, a chest xray, and sputum culture all done as an outpatient the day before being admitted. While i was in, they took blood 3 more times (2 not from the picc), and another unnecessary chest xray at 5 in the morning. They also continued to give me the 3 oral antibiotics i was taking in addition to the tobra and zosyn i was getting via IV until my cf doc visited me and told them to stop. My cf team is great, its just the doctors who don't know anything about it need to learn that we need an altered protocol if were staying in the hospital.

G

giantsfan91

@LouLou, I felt that the hospital was messing up left and right when I was in that's another reason why i hated it. It made me feel like if i wasn't monitoring what they were giving me, no one was going to. Prior to me being admitted, i had blood drawn, a chest xray, and sputum culture all done as an outpatient the day before being admitted. While i was in, they took blood 3 more times (2 not from the picc), and another unnecessary chest xray at 5 in the morning. They also continued to give me the 3 oral antibiotics i was taking in addition to the tobra and zosyn i was getting via IV until my cf doc visited me and told them to stop. My cf team is great, its just the doctors who don't know anything about it need to learn that we need an altered protocol if were staying in the hospital.

G

giantsfan91

cf4life

I watch over the nurses very closely and question everything. I also let it be known that I want my antibiotics on time. Nothing annoys me more. Once the nurses know you they are really pretty good at meeting your needs. They know to leave me alone and get me my meds ontime or as close as possible. It is all about the personal relationship. It also helps to have them put in your chart what your preferences are. Now occationaly I get a nurse that erks me, and I have no problem telling someone I don't want them again.

Picking up a secondary sickness is always a concern for sure. I struggle with this possibility most.

cf4life

I watch over the nurses very closely and question everything. I also let it be known that I want my antibiotics on time. Nothing annoys me more. Once the nurses know you they are really pretty good at meeting your needs. They know to leave me alone and get me my meds ontime or as close as possible. It is all about the personal relationship. It also helps to have them put in your chart what your preferences are. Now occationaly I get a nurse that erks me, and I have no problem telling someone I don't want them again.

Picking up a secondary sickness is always a concern for sure. I struggle with this possibility most.