Hospital Stories/Rude People Stories

2sickkids

O it really really makes me mad when people yell at me and offer their 1/2 cents worth on me salting my sons food on the rare occation that we go to restraunts.

anonymous

Worst room-mate story:
I was in the hospital about 12 years ago, and I was unlucky and got a double room with another kid. This kid was in bad shape. He had muscular distrophy(sp?) and mental retardation as well and did nothing but make this groaning noise while he was awake. Well his mother, who was about 65 no joke(kid was about 10) I think this was alot of his problem, her age when he was born. Well she was very rude. I tried to talk to her and be nice and she flat out told me to shut my damn mouth and she didn't want to hear me again. Now I was about 12 so this scared me a little. I told the nurse what she had said and they confronted her and she said I was lying. Well that same night she keep turning the TV where I couldn't see it and would then leave the room to go smoke. She would come back and she smelled SO bad, I would cough. Again I said something to the nurse and she said she didn't smoke. Yeah right. Well I'll be damned if she didn't go in the bathroom not 5 feet from me and stated to smoke. I imediately called a nurse and they caught her, smoke in the room and all. She was led out into the hall and I heard a nurse go balistic on her. "You are SMOKING in a room with a child who has a LUNG DISEASE. Are you stupid? If I even get one more complaint about you, you will be removed from the facility. I know you may be under stress, but you are not the only one here." The woman never said a word to me and never touched the TV and keep the curtain pulled. Needless to say, the nurse had me moved to a private room the next afternoon.

cocochanel

Hi guys! I am twenty and live in Dublin, Ireland. I only transferred from paediatric care last year because I was doing my Leaving Certificate (similar to American SATS but a million times more difficult! In fact I've heard that Irish students are under more pressure than their European or American peers!) Anyway! In my nineteen years of paediatric care I only had two admissions, both of which were after the age of seventeen. My second day there I told the nurse I was going to take a shower and she asked would I like some help? I was both shocked and embarassed! Like: no I think i'll manage! Then when I was in there I decided to shave my legs (for the benefit of the abundance of hot doctors!) so I was taking about fifteen minutes. When I eventually emerged there was a small gathering of rather concerned looking nurses staring my way. I think they were about to break the door down!
Fortunately at the adult hospital they recognise that a second year college student is not a child!

L

luke

A woman stopped me while we are the store the other day to ask me what for my purple bracelet meant. I told her if was for CF awareness. She then preceded to tell me, " oh that is a terrible disease" and went on to describe, "you know with that disease that have to beat you on the back and it makes you cough a lot". After all of her rambling about how bad it was to have CF she asked me if knew someone who had it. You should have seen her face when I responded, "yea, I do! I love doing that!!!!

Luke

NoDayButToday

Luke,
That woman should have had more tact talking about CF in case you DID in fact have it, but I give her credit for actually knowing what CF was.

A side note here-- my friends who were NOT with me on the "Lady In Red" night (see previous posts) keep wishing it would happen again, so that they too would have their oppurtunity to put rude people in their place.

Oh and I just thought of another story. There was this one kid in my grade (he's rather scrawny, I think he tries to make up for it in 'toughness') who would mock my cough anytime he was around me and I coughed. One day, I turned around and said "You got a cold,____!?" He responded with "NO!", but he never did do that coughing thing again. It was so rude when I think about it, considering he knew I had 'something'.

Sami

I hate the hospital here. Cause there arn't that many CF adults that are admitted here the only place they have room for us to go is the dementure ward, and the nurses have no idea how to treat cfs. i had a student nurse ask what cf does once, how bads that? they wont let you into kids after 17 so it's a case of stay heathy or have a s#@* admission.

anyway when i was in last i was 4 days from going home and i felt really good, the best i had in a long time, when one nite it was time for my drug and a nurse came in that i had never met before and started the iv pump going. first i thought i was strange cause she made it go through within half hour when it was ment to be a hour and she hadn't diluted it with saline. i told her what was ment to be done and she told me she was a qualified nurse and knew what she was doing. at the time i couldn't have been botherd with her and shut my mouth. 15 minuets later i started feeling itchy and my haert was raceing so i buzzed for a nurse and the same one came in and i told her i didn't feel rite and she said i was ok and the feeling should pass. well after 2 hours i had lost all feeling in my body and at one stage i had stoped breathing and i had to be baged. by the morning i was rushed to ICU and i was in a semi-coma. when i fully woke up 2 days later i was attached to tubes all over my body. the doc told me that my kidneys had faild and i was on dialysis, i had toxic shock. my left lung had filled up with heaps of fluid and to top it of i didn't get any feeling back in my body for a week. i had to learn how to walk all over again cause my muscles had faded away to nothing. when i was put back to the dementure ward i was trying to sleep when a nurse came in to give me another drug and i asked what she was doing and what drug it was, well she didn't like me asking so many questions and said she knew what she was doing. as u can imagine that didn't go down to well with me, and i told her exactly how i felt about the matter. after a while my doc came in and told me that i was given someone else's drug and thats why everything had happend the way it did (qualified nurse. what alot of s#@*). my kidneys started working again after a few weeks but it was hell. it's been 2 years now and i'm still trying to get back what i had lost. i try to stay out of hospital and have home iv instead.

Kylie

I've actually have nurses shake me awake at 6am and tell me "you can do your own iv can't you? Good" as they rushed back out the door. I've also had my iv brought to me 3 hours late and the nurse then wrote it up as being delivered on time.

abloedel

During my my last hospitalization in January,I had to have a chest tube...now the doctor warned me that when he made the incision all the way through to my lungs, it would probably make me cough...well, I guess he forgot to prepare for his own advice - as his scalpel went through, I did begin to cough, and all of the fluid that was built up in my lung was "coughed" out through the new hole in my side - all over the doctor. He had to stick his finger in the hole (remind you of a childhood story here?) to stop the "spewage". Gross, I know...but I tought it was funny.

Amy
36f w/CF

Mockingbird

I was in the clinic a few days ago, and there was this lady who was obviously new. I could tell, because we were going through my medications, and she asked me how TOBI is spelled. There were some other things, like she asked is serevent was a vitamin, or something like that. She wasn't rude, or anything, and it wasn't her fault for not knowing anything about CF, I just thought it was weird someone who was working in a CF center would be so clueless about CF. I can only figure she had to cover for someone last minute without being able to prepare herself, or something.