Hospitals

Vampy

in the hospital once again evidently i have a lung infection but it got worse through the past couple days and i dunno how long i will be in here. im thinking of doing piccline home meds. Can you tell me how it goes or is it scary. im kinda clutz so im afraid id rip it out on accident or something like that. :\

JazzysMom

Sorry to hear you are in the slammer. My first PICC line & doing iv's at home I was extremely nervous. Now its old hat....just take your time. Much of it is common sense & patience. I assume you will have some type of home health agency to check in with &/or change your dressing etc so if there is a problem, you can get help. Your biggest problem might be accessing it yourself depending on how far up on the arm the PICC Line is & which arm its in. I prefer to get it in my left arm since I am right handed.....its makes it much easier, but my right arm has better options. Let us know whats happening!

Vampy

i will lol i just imagined going to the library with a picc in and a tank getting the looks from ppl. i can only imagine..rather amusing..+ i wanna add to everyone that if i offended anyone in my previous message about the adhd and getting made because i didnt like much ppl im sorry i cant help it just got burned by to many people. Much lov to you all
Betty aka Moon

Jane

Digital opinion leader
You'll be fine! We do home IVs all the time. Your PICC will be well taped so you won't pull it out. You can even cover it with a snug sock if you are nervous. The hardest thing for us is keeping to the med schedule while trying to maintain some normal routine (school, scouts, sports etc). Both my husband and I work full time so we break down the "chores" to who does early morning meds and who does night ones. He stays up a little later and I get up a little earlier. It gets a little crazy when BOTH boys are on home IVs. Last time they were each on two different meds, and they were each given three times a day. CRAZINESS!!! We made a huge chart to put on the 'fridge showing who gets what and when.

In fifteen years we've only had a few things go wrong- nothing bad or scary. One time a PICC line clotted so we had to have the hospital flush it with stuff (ATP?) another time, the end clave came loose and a nurse had to replace it. Mostly common sense like Melissa said.

Good luck!

Jane

coltsfan715

Hey there,
PICCs are so great, for me anyhow. Getting them is somewhat uncomfy like most IVs but maintaining and using them is relatively brainless and easy - especially if you are used to being on IV meds. When I was in peds I used to have problems with the line moving because they positioned it in the bend of my arm, but with adults here they place it in the space between your shoulder and elbow and they put a stitch in and secure it so there is no movement.
Also if you need one you can ask the home healthcare people to get an extension tubing for you. I always have to get one and it makes life so much easier. I can do all my meds on my own and the tube is long enough for me to handle with both hands - not just one.

As said before if you are dealing with a home healthcare facility you should have a nurse and if you call them they should be able to send someone to your house if you have problems. I also now that when I come home we normally have someone come out for the very first dose to supervise everything. Then if you need them too they can come out to help with other doses I think.

Good Luck and hope you feel better.
Lindsey

coltsfan715

I know what you mean Amy. I am the same way with being on the go all the time. It is so hard when you are feeling better to stay at home cooped up in the house. I always tried to be at home for my meds but would go about my day normally otherwise. To me that is the convenience of home IVs though.

Linds

Scarlett81

Hey,

Sorry to hear your not feeling great.
I've been doing home IVs since I was like 12. I always get my picc and go right home, unless I'm really sick, or trying a new med and need observation.
The biggest thing for me, like Amy said, is I don't sit still sometimes. I should lay in bed and watch movies, and rest, but there's the dishes to do, the dog to walk, the floors to vaccum.....and I have no shortage of help. Everybody offers to help, to clean, everything, but I stubbornly insist on doing it all myself. I'm working on asking for help more. So I would say if you can learn to let the dishes in the sink, stay home, and just let all that stuff go-Go for it!
There's nothing like laying in your own bed with your own pillow. Eating real, healthy food. And staying as far away as possible from hospital germs.
Don't be afraid of it. And PICC lines are long!!!!! It would take alot to rip it out of your arm! Actually standing there and concientously pulling it out! I've caught it on door handles, dog paws, everything! Believe me, I've never had it come out, even slightly. The tape tugs, and that's what you feel, not it pulling out.
It'll work for you.

Faust

I have never nor will I ever have a PICC line. It is WAY too close to your heart for my liking. My veins are still good enough for a mid line, and I will always have a midline if I have to be admitted. I would exhaust all veins with a peripheral line, and both arms and legs with a midline before I got a PICC line. If you get an infection with a midline, there are many options to treat it. If you get an infection near/in your heart with a PICC line, man, that is your one and only ticker. No thanks.

senatorgraham

I am with Sean on this one. I always felt the lines were to risky, but that is a personal choice each one has to make. When I have done home IV's in the past I usually got an IV put in through out patient services or emergency, etc, and then did the home IV's.

The home health care people have always been great-very flexible and understanding. It always went just fine.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

"Senatorgraham"

"My friends are my estate. Forgive me the avarice to hoard them."-Emil Dickinson

Scarlett81

I personally feel that there is not much a difference between a picc or peripheral. Just b/c its close to your heart-when meds go through peripherals it goes right to your heart anyway, so that the heart can pump it to the rest of the body.
I guess most people are squeamish about infections, but if you have an infection in your peripheral, it's gonna get into your heart through your blood eventually anyway.
I've never had an infected picc. I've had tons of infected peripherals. I got sick of changing them every 3 days too.
Definately a personal decision. Just my opinion though.

Faust

But why immediately go with something that is RIGHT near your heart, when you can go with something that is half the distance away? I hate peripherals also, I am refering to midline over peripherals over PICC's. To me it just seems like a logical choice. Of course your blood stream feeds into your heart, and if you get a real bad infection it won't matter where the entry point is. But as long as you aren't going to be on antibiotics for something rediculous like 3 months, why not go mid line over PICC line? A well taken care of mid line can last you a long time, especially if your veins are in relatively good shape, and is much less invasive considering one stops in your arm, and the other is right next to your heart. No thanks.

Diane

i am no fan of piccs either. I've had a few in the past and had some problems and decided i would stick to peripherals or a midline. I am all for having iv's done at home. So much better than in hospital.

Faust

I just wish indemnity insurance covered you for having to do stuff at home vs being in the hospital. I mean you are just as sick, but for whatever reason you are on home health care.

Just because you are getting your IV's at home doesn't mean you can work, which is the whole point of indemnity insurance.

Scarlett81

a midline is about half as long as a picc, so it stops more like at your shoulder, or even just below your shoulder.
I had one once b/c they couldn't get the picc in. Now I have to have piccs put in with ultrasound. the midline worked, but I do remember a few concerns about having it in longer than a few weeks, its more prone to infection then. but, like they said-if its a few weeks midlines work too.

celtsfan

Amy,<br>
<br>
Midline is shorter, from your elbow up to almost top of your
shoulder.<br>
<br>
I was told midlines are "normally" good for 4 to 6 weeks
depending on each individual.  I went through a bad stretch
and had a midline in for 8 weeks and it still was looking pretty
good when they took it out.<br>
<br>
Brian

Brad

Hi Vampy

I never had a picc line, but a few years back I was on Home IV's
for almost 2 months, I had to have the site changed every 2 or 3 days
back then, I even went back to work with it after a month being home
I thought if I could stand bad day tme TV I could stand it at the office...

Good Luck in what ever You end up doing,,,

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SeanDavis</b></i>

I just wish indemnity insurance covered you for having to do stuff at home vs being in the hospital. I mean you are just as sick, but for whatever reason you are on home health care.

Just because you are getting your IV's at home doesn't mean you can work, which is the whole point of indemnity insurance.</end quote></div>

Hey Sean....MY indemnity policy covers me at home recovery up to 4 times the amount of days I was in the hospital. I have gotten covered all thru my iv times & some time for oral. As long as my doctor feels I am still "recovering" & they fill out the forms accordingly. I havent had a problem.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Melissa that's great! Which one does that for you? We've been looking, so far a lot of them don't do Massachusetts.