How long before eating should one take enzymes?

Gnome

<br>My son is 6 years old and in grade 1 and he was given the responsibility of taking his own enzymes. The teacher is wondering ifmy sontakes them all the time (they saw one on the floor)and is wondering if she should administer them herself. The simplest solution for everyone is for the teacher to give them at recess which is 20 minutes before lunch. Is 20 minutes too long of time prior to eating? TimelineAfternoon Recess: 12:15-12:35 (give enzymes at the beginning of this)Lunch: 12:35-12:55And I have been dealing with CF for 6 years you would think I would know this

Gnome

<br>My son is 6 years old and in grade 1 and he was given the responsibility of taking his own enzymes. The teacher is wondering ifmy sontakes them all the time (they saw one on the floor)and is wondering if she should administer them herself. The simplest solution for everyone is for the teacher to give them at recess which is 20 minutes before lunch. Is 20 minutes too long of time prior to eating? TimelineAfternoon Recess: 12:15-12:35 (give enzymes at the beginning of this)Lunch: 12:35-12:55And I have been dealing with CF for 6 years you would think I would know this

Gnome

azdesertrat

YES!!!
I have always taken my enzymes just before I take the first bite.
I'm not sure what the 'Official' reccomendation is but this is how I've done it for over 40 years.
My Mom thought it would be beneficial if I was put in charge of taking my own meds at age 6.
If a teacher is not available to administer meds its OK- he needs to be in charge of his own care.
Its a good thing!
The earlier he starts taking care of his own needs, the better.
Taking enzymes 20 min prior to eating would give me a horrible stomach ache.
Best of luck to you & him.

azdesertrat

YES!!!
I'm not sure what the 'Official' reccomendation is but this is how I've done it for over 40 years.
My Mom thought it would be beneficial if I was put in charge of taking my own meds at age 6.
If a teacher is not available to administer meds its OK- he needs to be in charge of his own care.
Its a good thing!

azdesertrat

YES!!!
Its a good thing!

ehtansky21

The way I understand enzymes, is that once they are in your system, they only work for about 45 minutes or so. So...if he can eat his lunch in 25 minutes or less, it might should work???

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

The way I understand enzymes, is that once they are in your system, they only work for about 45 minutes or so. So...if he can eat his lunch in 25 minutes or less, it might should work???

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

blessings,
missa

K

Kaethe108

We learned that it is very important that the enzymes reach the digestional tract at the Same Time as the food!
So they have to be taken DURING the meal and Not before or after.
So we were advised to do it like this: eat a little, take the first half of the necessary dose, eat some more, take the Second half of enzymes, eat the rest.
It functions very well, our daughter is gaining weight perfectly!

K

Kaethe108

We learned that it is very important that the enzymes reach the digestional tract at the Same Time as the food!
So we were advised to do it like this: eat a little, take the first half of the necessary dose, eat some more, take the Second half of enzymes, eat the rest.

K

Kaethe108

momtohazel

we recently asked this question of a pediatirc GI doc who sees a lot of kiddos with CF. He did not cite the specific articles, but did say the research did not find that there was a one size fits all...some benefited most from taking at the beginning, some from taking them in the middle and some most from taking at the end of the meal. I suppose each GI system works in its own way and that is what accounts for the difference in timing.<br>

momtohazel

we recently asked this question of a pediatirc GI doc who sees a lot of kiddos with CF. He did not cite the specific articles, but did say the research did not find that there was a one size fits all...some benefited most from taking at the beginning, some from taking them in the middle and some most from taking at the end of the meal. I suppose each GI system works in its own way and that is what accounts for the difference in timing.<br>