How long before eating should one take enzymes?

momtohazel

we recently asked this question of a pediatirc GI doc who sees a lot of kiddos with CF. He did not cite the specific articles, but did say the research did not find that there was a one size fits all...some benefited most from taking at the beginning, some from taking them in the middle and some most from taking at the end of the meal. I suppose each GI system works in its own way and that is what accounts for the difference in timing.<br>

nmw0615

I've always taken half the enzymes before I eat, and then the other half as soon as I'm finished. This way has worked for me for several years. I've always thought along the same lines of momtohazel. It varies person to person on how it works.

nmw0615

I've always taken half the enzymes before I eat, and then the other half as soon as I'm finished. This way has worked for me for several years. I've always thought along the same lines of momtohazel. It varies person to person on how it works.

nmw0615

D

DebbieS

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>momtohazel</b></i>

we recently asked this question of a pediatirc GI doc who sees a lot of kiddos with CF. He did not cite the specific articles, but did say the research did not find that there was a one size fits all...some benefited most from taking at the beginning, some from taking them in the middle and some most from taking at the end of the meal. I suppose each GI system works in its own way and that is what accounts for the difference in timing.</end quote><br><br>This is why I've been taking it continuously while I eat for many years now. Start at first bite and continue popping enzymes, with last enzyme being popped right after last bite. This covers all aspects. If I'm with people who have no idea I take enzymes with my meals, I'll sometimes take half at the start and the rest at the end, sometimes with something in middle. Think I noticed feeling constipated when I had to do something like that though.<br><br>Just to add, be careful taking too many enzymes at one time. Too many within a certain time frame (my doc said the enzymes remain viable for about 20 min at a time) could yield the same results as if you hadn't taken any enzymes at all. This is why I wait about a half hour before I try to eat something more once my meal is done. Good luck to all!<br><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>Diagnosed at birth, CF, intermittent CFRD, hypothyroid<br>

D

DebbieS

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>momtohazel</b></i>

we recently asked this question of a pediatirc GI doc who sees a lot of kiddos with CF. He did not cite the specific articles, but did say the research did not find that there was a one size fits all...some benefited most from taking at the beginning, some from taking them in the middle and some most from taking at the end of the meal. I suppose each GI system works in its own way and that is what accounts for the difference in timing.</end quote><br><br>This is why I've been taking it continuously while I eat for many years now. Start at first bite and continue popping enzymes, with last enzyme being popped right after last bite. This covers all aspects. If I'm with people who have no idea I take enzymes with my meals, I'll sometimes take half at the start and the rest at the end, sometimes with something in middle. Think I noticed feeling constipated when I had to do something like that though.<br><br>Just to add, be careful taking too many enzymes at one time. Too many within a certain time frame (my doc said the enzymes remain viable for about 20 min at a time) could yield the same results as if you hadn't taken any enzymes at all. This is why I wait about a half hour before I try to eat something more once my meal is done. Good luck to all!<br><br>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br>Diagnosed at birth, CF, intermittent CFRD, hypothyroid<br>

D

DebbieS

Printer

Gnome:

I may have been hasty with my earlier reply. I am now completly pancrease insufficent and my reply was based on my current state. Earlier, in my life, when I had some pancreatic involvement, I had alot of leway in my digesting of my food. I could even skip a meal.

I would suggest that you do some experimenting over Thanksgiving Weekend. Starting on Friday, for as many meals as you wish, try giving DS his enzymes 20 minutes before meals. This will allow YOU to watch how well he handles it. Watch for stomach discomfort, gas and of course stool. If this works give the teacher the OK. Otherwise pass on the results of this trial to the teacher.

I hope that this helps.

Bill

Printer

Gnome:

I may have been hasty with my earlier reply. I am now completly pancrease insufficent and my reply was based on my current state. Earlier, in my life, when I had some pancreatic involvement, I had alot of leway in my digesting of my food. I could even skip a meal.

I would suggest that you do some experimenting over Thanksgiving Weekend. Starting on Friday, for as many meals as you wish, try giving DS his enzymes 20 minutes before meals. This will allow YOU to watch how well he handles it. Watch for stomach discomfort, gas and of course stool. If this works give the teacher the OK. Otherwise pass on the results of this trial to the teacher.

I hope that this helps.

Bill

Printer

Gnome:

I hope that this helps.

Bill

B

BikerEd

For the last 20 years or so I have taken mine hald to 2/3rds at the start ans the remaining half to 1/3rd in the middle. If I am at work and I'm going to have my lunch unpacked eaten and put away all at the beginig. If I'm at a dinner party or resyraunt where people are slowly enjoying a meal over a period of time or proportionate to what I am eating at the time. Quite frankly I have found it is something you learn to adjust over time

B

BikerEd

For the last 20 years or so I have taken mine hald to 2/3rds at the start ans the remaining half to 1/3rd in the middle. If I am at work and I'm going to have my lunch unpacked eaten and put away all at the beginig. If I'm at a dinner party or resyraunt where people are slowly enjoying a meal over a period of time or proportionate to what I am eating at the time. Quite frankly I have found it is something you learn to adjust over time

B

BikerEd

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last year DS' teacher wanted to do something similar -- have him take his enzymes, then go to recess for 20 minutes then lunch; however, with DS being so PI, plus possible delays -- waiting in line, dawdling thru his lunch, it just wasn't a good idea.

At home DS normally takes most of his enzymes before his first bite and then at the end of his meal, he takes the rest -- usually 2.

Snacking is what drives me nuts. When he snacks or if we're at a movie, I'm forever handing him enzymes -- usually start with 4 for his usual snack and if he continues to keep eating, I hand him two more every 20-30 minutes. With theater popcorn being about 900 calories a cup due to all the fat, he gets a meal equivelant of enzymes or more depending upon how quickly he eats it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Last year DS' teacher wanted to do something similar -- have him take his enzymes, then go to recess for 20 minutes then lunch; however, with DS being so PI, plus possible delays -- waiting in line, dawdling thru his lunch, it just wasn't a good idea.

At home DS normally takes most of his enzymes before his first bite and then at the end of his meal, he takes the rest -- usually 2.

Snacking is what drives me nuts. When he snacks or if we're at a movie, I'm forever handing him enzymes -- usually start with 4 for his usual snack and if he continues to keep eating, I hand him two more every 20-30 minutes. With theater popcorn being about 900 calories a cup due to all the fat, he gets a meal equivelant of enzymes or more depending upon how quickly he eats it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Gnome

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Printer</b></i>

Gnome:

I hope that this helps.

Bill</end quote>

No worries you brought up good points. The school isnow going to have the lunchtime assistant check to see if my son has taken his enzymes and remind him if he doesn't.

Gnome

Gnome:

I hope that this helps.

Bill</end quote>

No worries you brought up good points. The school isnow going to have the lunchtime assistant check to see if my son has taken his enzymes and remind him if he doesn't.

Gnome

Gnome:

I hope that this helps.

Bill</end quote>

B

BikerEd

Just a side note. The trick was to put our enzymes in either ketup or applesauce when we were younger. And so my Dad wouldn't steal our French fries we would smother them in ketup; even after we took pills like "Big Boys". I was thirteen when I saw my dad put ketup on his fries and I was like "Yo! When did you start eating ketup?!" and told me that was the secret to getting me and my brothers to take our "pills". I was like hearing about Santa Claus all over again (NNOOOooooo!) ha-ha