How long do enzymes last?

zoeg

<P>Hello!  I have a new kindergartner (yikes!) this year.  The school nurse is great and we just met this summer to do a health plan for my daughter (we also have an IEP).  I just found out at kindergarten orientation tonight that they will go out to recess first for about 20 min. then straight to lunch.  Do you think enzymes before recess will be OK, or should I have them give after recess, immediately before lunch?  I guess what has me so stressed is my daughter has a lot of communication delays and does not like to not feel "part of the group".  I'm worried by taking her to the nurse after recess will cause her to be late to lunch, sit in not a favorite spot, etc.  Maybe I am just being silly, but being a teacher I do know it is these little things that matter to the little guys!</P>
<P>Any advice?  I really do want what is best for her health, and we have always done enzymes right before meals.  Do any of you give them with a longer time period beforehand?  Just curious what you all do.  </P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>Zoe mom to Kate wCF</P>

zoeg

<P>Hello! I have a new kindergartner (yikes!) this year. The school nurse is great and we just met this summer to do a health plan for my daughter (we also have an IEP). I just found out at kindergarten orientation tonight that they will go out to recess first for about 20 min. then straight to lunch. Do you think enzymes before recess will be OK, or should I have them give after recess, immediately before lunch? I guess what has me so stressed is my daughter has a lot of communication delays and does not like to not feel "part of the group". I'm worried by taking her to the nurse after recess will cause her to be late to lunch, sit in not a favorite spot, etc. Maybe I am just being silly, but being a teacher I do know it is these little things that matter to the little guys!</P>
<P>Any advice? I really do want what is best for her health, and we have always done enzymes right before meals. Do any of you give them with a longer time period beforehand? Just curious what you all do. </P>
<P>Thanks,</P>

zoeg

<P><BR>Hello! I have a new kindergartner (yikes!) this year. The school nurse is great and we just met this summer to do a health plan for my daughter (we also have an IEP). I just found out at kindergarten orientation tonight that they will go out to recess first for about 20 min. then straight to lunch. Do you think enzymes before recess will be OK, or should I have them give after recess, immediately before lunch? I guess what has me so stressed is my daughter has a lot of communication delays and does not like to not feel "part of the group". I'm worried by taking her to the nurse after recess will cause her to be late to lunch, sit in not a favorite spot, etc. Maybe I am just being silly, but being a teacher I do know it is these little things that matter to the little guys!</P>
<P>Any advice? I really do want what is best for her health, and we have always done enzymes right before meals. Do any of you give them with a longer time period beforehand? Just curious what you all do. </P>
<P>Thanks,</P>

albino15

You could try having someone take her to get her enzymes a couple minutes before recess is over, that way she'll be on time for lunch. Would you trust the teacher to give her enzymes? When I was in grade school sometimes my teachers would keep them in the classroom in a locked filing cabinet that way I wouldn't have to go far to get them.<div><br></div><div>I've also heard that the law allows you to have enzymes with you at school at all times, so you might want to look into that.  </div>

albino15

You could try having someone take her to get her enzymes a couple minutes before recess is over, that way she'll be on time for lunch. Would you trust the teacher to give her enzymes? When I was in grade school sometimes my teachers would keep them in the classroom in a locked filing cabinet that way I wouldn't have to go far to get them.<br>I've also heard that the law allows you to have enzymes with you at school at all times, so you might want to look into that.

albino15

You could try having someone take her to get her enzymes a couple minutes before recess is over, that way she'll be on time for lunch. Would you trust the teacher to give her enzymes? When I was in grade school sometimes my teachers would keep them in the classroom in a locked filing cabinet that way I wouldn't have to go far to get them.<br>I've also heard that the law allows you to have enzymes with you at school at all times, so you might want to look into that.

M

Mayasmom

<P>Hi there, my daughter is 13 now but it seems like she was in kindergarten not long ago.  Rather than have my daughter go to the nurse, I obtained permission from the principal and nurse to allow Maya's kindergarten teacher to give her enzymes at lunch.  I believe enzymes last in the stomach for 20 minutes so they should be taken with the meal.  I would give the teacher a bottle full and instruct her to give 3 at lunch and one with snacks.  I also typed up and gave her a list of foods/snacks and how many enzymes to give with those for the times when there are surprise snacks or cupcakes for someone's birthday.  This worked great because the teacher or assistant always went to lunch with the kids and sat with them.  They had only 20 mintues for lunch and going to the nurse would use up half the lunch period.  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Good luck!</P>
<P>Lucy</P>
<P>  </P>

M

Mayasmom

<P>Hi there, my daughter is 13 now but it seems like she was in kindergarten not long ago. Rather than have my daughter go to the nurse, I obtained permission from the principal and nurse to allow Maya's kindergarten teacher to give her enzymes at lunch. I believe enzymes last in the stomach for 20 minutes so they should be taken with the meal. I would give the teacher a bottle full and instruct her to give 3 at lunch and one with snacks. I also typed up and gave her a list of foods/snacks and how many enzymes to give with those for the times when there are surprise snacks or cupcakes for someone's birthday. This worked great because the teacher or assistant always went to lunch with the kidsandsat with them. They had only 20 mintues for lunch and going to the nurse would use up half the lunch period. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Good luck!</P>
<P>Lucy</P>
<P></P>

M

Mayasmom

<P>Hi there, my daughter is 13 now but it seems like she was in kindergarten not long ago. Rather than have my daughter go to the nurse, I obtained permission from the principal and nurse to allow Maya's kindergarten teacher to give her enzymes at lunch. I believe enzymes last in the stomach for 20 minutes so they should be taken with the meal. I would give the teacher a bottle full and instruct her to give 3 at lunch and one with snacks. I also typed up and gave her a list of foods/snacks and how many enzymes to give with those for the times when there are surprise snacks or cupcakes for someone's birthday. This worked great because the teacher or assistant always went to lunch with the kidsandsat with them. They had only 20 mintues for lunch and going to the nurse would use up half the lunch period. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Good luck!</P>
<P>Lucy</P>
<P></P>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We had this issue come up last year in 1st Grade. The teacher called and said they go for recess and then they go for lunch and she had her lunch break at the same time and wouldn't be able to remind him.

And I didn't feel comfortable with that being ds has had digestive issues in the past. So they made it work. He went straight to the office from recess, which is on the way to the lunch room, got his pills and it worked fine. We don't have full time school nurses at each school. They pretty much just check in for an hour or two each day at each school.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We had this issue come up last year in 1st Grade. The teacher called and said they go for recess and then they go for lunch and she had her lunch break at the same time and wouldn't be able to remind him.

And I didn't feel comfortable with that being ds has had digestive issues in the past. So they made it work. He went straight to the office from recess, which is on the way to the lunch room, got his pills and it worked fine. We don't have full time school nurses at each school. They pretty much just check in for an hour or two each day at each school.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />And I didn't feel comfortable with that being ds has had digestive issues in the past. So they made it work. He went straight to the office from recess, which is on the way to the lunch room, got his pills and it worked fine. We don't have full time school nurses at each school. They pretty much just check in for an hour or two each day at each school.

TestifyToLove

<P>We do a full IEP process due to a full host of issues, CF being only one of them.  It has been repeatedly explained to me that if your doctor fills out the paperwork, then legally the teacher *can* keep and distribute the enzymes.  It comes down to the comfort of the individual teacher.  The school district has also explained to me that they will not *force* any teacher to do this if they are uncomfortable with it.  It's simply a choice they can make if they desire.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>M's first grade teacher flat-out refused to handle his enzymes.  However, he was in a 1:1 situation so she simply took him to the nurse when he wanted to eat.  It was more a matter of having to have him in a school with a full-time nurse in a district that employs nearyly exclusively part-time nurses.  They bussed him to the school in the district where they bussed all of the asthmatics because it had a full-time nurse on staff.</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Second grade and third grade this year, He has the same teacher and she's totally comfortable just giving him his enzymes.  Usually, she pulls the enzymes out of the locked cabinet and carries them to the cafeteria with them, giving them to him just before he eats.</P>

TestifyToLove

<P>We do a full IEP process due to a full host of issues, CF being only one of them. It has been repeatedly explained to me that if your doctor fills out the paperwork, then legally the teacher *can* keep and distribute the enzymes. It comes down to the comfort of the individual teacher. The school district has also explained to me that they will not *force* any teacher to do this if they are uncomfortable with it. It's simply a choice they can make if they desire.</P>
<P></P>
<P>M's first grade teacher flat-out refused to handle his enzymes. However, he was ina 1:1 situation so she simply took him to the nurse when he wanted to eat. It was more a matter of having to have him in a school with a full-time nurse in a district that employs nearyly exclusively part-time nurses. They bussed him to the school in the district where they bussed all of the asthmatics because it had a full-time nurse on staff.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Second grade and third grade this year, He has the same teacher and she's totally comfortable just giving him his enzymes. Usually, she pulls the enzymes out of the locked cabinet and carries them to the cafeteria with them, giving them to him just before he eats.</P>

TestifyToLove

<P><BR>We do a full IEP process due to a full host of issues, CF being only one of them. It has been repeatedly explained to me that if your doctor fills out the paperwork, then legally the teacher *can* keep and distribute the enzymes. It comes down to the comfort of the individual teacher. The school district has also explained to me that they will not *force* any teacher to do this if they are uncomfortable with it. It's simply a choice they can make if they desire.</P>
<P></P>
<P>M's first grade teacher flat-out refused to handle his enzymes. However, he was ina 1:1 situation so she simply took him to the nurse when he wanted to eat. It was more a matter of having to have him in a school with a full-time nurse in a district that employs nearyly exclusively part-time nurses. They bussed him to the school in the district where they bussed all of the asthmatics because it had a full-time nurse on staff.</P>
<P></P>
<P>Second grade and third grade this year, He has the same teacher and she's totally comfortable just giving him his enzymes. Usually, she pulls the enzymes out of the locked cabinet and carries them to the cafeteria with them, giving them to him just before he eats.</P>

hmw

Finding a way to take the enzymes right before eating (the teacher bringing them for him, etc... some way that allows her to get to the cafeteria with her class and not involving a stop at the nurse) would be idea. However- the laws regulating dispensing of medication at school vary from state to state and can, be very strict depending on where you live and the age of the children at the school regardless of the comfort level of the child's teacher or aide. So it's something that you'll have to discuss at the health plan meeting and perhaps get a copy of official state and district policy for so you aren't in fact dealing with comfort levels here- this is something that will affect your child a couple times a day, more important than how any particular staff member feels about it. If it's law in your state, though, you'll have to find a way to work with it. In that case, which is closer to the cafeteria- the nurses' office or the main office? See if he can take them en route wherever is most convenient; it will only take a few moments. Someone in the main office is generally authorized to dispense meds in case the nurse is not present.
Can someone start walking her in from recess just a minute or two sooner than the rest (i.e. as everyone starts toward the building to 'line up' she goes straight in?) so she has time to take them in the office and still arrive in the cafeteria with her friends?<br>
<br>In any case, taking them before recess is too early- they need to be taken directly before eating.

hmw

Finding a way to take the enzymes right before eating (the teacher bringing them for him, etc... some way that allows her to get to the cafeteria with her class and not involving a stop at the nurse) would be idea. However- the laws regulating dispensing of medication at school vary from state to state and can, be very strict depending on where you live and the age of the children at the school regardless of the comfort level of the child's teacher or aide. So it's something that you'll have to discuss at the health plan meeting and perhaps get a copy of official state and district policy for so you aren't in fact dealing with comfort levels here- this is something that will affect your child a couple times a day, more important than how any particular staff member feels about it. If it's law in your state, though, you'll have to find a way to work with it. In that case, which is closer to the cafeteria- the nurses' office or the main office? See if he can take them en route wherever is most convenient; it will only take a few moments. Someone in the main office is generally authorized to dispense meds in case the nurse is not present.
Can someone start walking her in from recess just a minute or two sooner than the rest (i.e. as everyone starts toward the building to 'line up' she goes straight in?) so she has time to take them in the office and still arrive in the cafeteria with her friends?<br>
<br>In any case, taking them before recess is too early- they need to be taken directly before eating.

hmw

SARAHSARAH253

My son started Pre School at the elementary school last year. In his IEP I made it clear that his enzymes were to be delivered to his classroom. I did not want him in the nurses office. That's where all the sick kids are. The teacher at first wanted him to get his pills before recess then come back in the classroom ready for snack. That would mean they be "In" him for 30 min before he ate. That was not acceptable for me. So, the solution was the nurse or office aid or teacher assistant would get his enzymes for him right before snack. Good luck!!

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny birthday next week...He is going to be 4 w/cf and bailey 22 months no c/f

SARAHSARAH253

My son started Pre School at the elementary school last year. In his IEP I made it clear that his enzymes were to be delivered to his classroom. I did not want him in the nurses office. That's where all the sick kids are. The teacher at first wanted him to get his pills before recess then come back in the classroom ready for snack. That would mean they be "In" him for 30 min before he ate. That was not acceptable for me. So, the solution was the nurse or office aid or teacher assistant would get his enzymes for him right before snack. Good luck!!

Sarah

Mommy to Johnny birthday next week...He is going to be 4 w/cf and bailey 22 months no c/f