how many of you exercise/work out?

cdale613

I am very physically active - I work out at least 4-5 times a week running, biking, swimming and lifting. Now that winter is here, I'm stuck on the bike trainer, and swimming and lifting more.

Exercise has always been a huge part of taking care of myself, and I think one of the reasons I am so healthy today. My parents signed me up for sports year-round when I was young, I ran competitively in high school and college, and am now a member of a triathlon/bike club. I completed a half-ironman triathlon over the summer (see my blog if you're interested in the details).

Setting fitness related goals helps me take impecible care of myself. If I don't take my meds, and eat/sleep right, I'm not going to be able to push my physical limits. Working out also helps me deal with some of the mental stress that comes with having a chronic disease.

I completely agree with Faust - in the back of my head I am telling myself that if I ever need a transplant, I am going to be physically and mentally prepared to deal with it. Being in amazing shape will help, and being able to mentally handle tests like running a half-marathon after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56 will also help.

Here is an example of what I've been doing recently (since winter arrived)

Monday: Gym - 40 minutes on bike trainer, imitation hill workout 10 minute stretch, 20 minute lift (chest/back)

Tuesday: Run at lunch - 45 minutes

Wednesday: Lift 45 minutes, arms, core exercises

Thursday: Gym - Bike or swim 40 minutes, lift chest/back/legs

Friday: Off

Saturday: Bike 45 minutes on rollers

Sunday: Off

Now that the snow is here I'm hoping to get out skiing!!

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

I am very physically active - I work out at least 4-5 times a week running, biking, swimming and lifting. Now that winter is here, I'm stuck on the bike trainer, and swimming and lifting more.

Exercise has always been a huge part of taking care of myself, and I think one of the reasons I am so healthy today. My parents signed me up for sports year-round when I was young, I ran competitively in high school and college, and am now a member of a triathlon/bike club. I completed a half-ironman triathlon over the summer (see my blog if you're interested in the details).

Setting fitness related goals helps me take impecible care of myself. If I don't take my meds, and eat/sleep right, I'm not going to be able to push my physical limits. Working out also helps me deal with some of the mental stress that comes with having a chronic disease.

I completely agree with Faust - in the back of my head I am telling myself that if I ever need a transplant, I am going to be physically and mentally prepared to deal with it. Being in amazing shape will help, and being able to mentally handle tests like running a half-marathon after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56 will also help.

Monday: Gym - 40 minutes on bike trainer, imitation hill workout 10 minute stretch, 20 minute lift (chest/back)

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

Chris

27 m w/CF

catboogie

just reading through all the comments on this thread and had a couple of my own:

first off, i think i am the opposite of liza. i go to the gym and do cardio 4 days during the week (35-45 mins on the elliptical) and do yoga once or twice a week. there is something about going to the gym to work out. i've thought about getting some kind of cardio equipment for the house, but that would take something away from my exercising experience. so i am definitely a gym girl.

it does suck sometimes, although mostly i enjoy it. i've made it part of my routine so that i don't have a choice to skip unless there's a really good reason. it's just part of my life as a cystic, part of my therapy.

second, someone said something about unclean machines. that is gross. every gym should have proper sanitizer to wipe down the machines after use. if they do not, you should request it. i wipe down my machine before AND after i work out.

third, my doctors have told me that weight training is important. i can't really stand to use those resistance machines, but i do yoga once or twice a week (which i love) and that builds a lot of muscle strength but in a more productive way for me.

like darb said, my doctor told me that it is more important to exercise when we are sick. i really hate this! and i refuse to go to the gym if i know i'm spreading germs (like at the beginning of a cold) -- but i'm trying to be better about going even if i'm "not feeling well." i used to not go to the gym if i was on ivs. i gave myself that time off to recooperate and have a break. but next time, i'm going to have to do something, even if it is just going for daily walks.

lastly, i wanted to say for anyone who is short on cash but interested in joining a gym: i get a discount (financial assistance) at the YMCA because my income is low. i believe this is a national program, so it's worth looking into.

everyone keep up the good work!

catboogie

just reading through all the comments on this thread and had a couple of my own:

first off, i think i am the opposite of liza. i go to the gym and do cardio 4 days during the week (35-45 mins on the elliptical) and do yoga once or twice a week. there is something about going to the gym to work out. i've thought about getting some kind of cardio equipment for the house, but that would take something away from my exercising experience. so i am definitely a gym girl.

it does suck sometimes, although mostly i enjoy it. i've made it part of my routine so that i don't have a choice to skip unless there's a really good reason. it's just part of my life as a cystic, part of my therapy.

second, someone said something about unclean machines. that is gross. every gym should have proper sanitizer to wipe down the machines after use. if they do not, you should request it. i wipe down my machine before AND after i work out.

third, my doctors have told me that weight training is important. i can't really stand to use those resistance machines, but i do yoga once or twice a week (which i love) and that builds a lot of muscle strength but in a more productive way for me.

like darb said, my doctor told me that it is more important to exercise when we are sick. i really hate this! and i refuse to go to the gym if i know i'm spreading germs (like at the beginning of a cold) -- but i'm trying to be better about going even if i'm "not feeling well." i used to not go to the gym if i was on ivs. i gave myself that time off to recooperate and have a break. but next time, i'm going to have to do something, even if it is just going for daily walks.

lastly, i wanted to say for anyone who is short on cash but interested in joining a gym: i get a discount (financial assistance) at the YMCA because my income is low. i believe this is a national program, so it's worth looking into.

catboogie

catboogie

catboogie

mom2lillian

Laura brought up some good points, I also used to take time off if I was ill but right before I tried my first 5K I had a cold, nothing major and so I was going to cancle and a runner friend said he often had colds get 'burnt up' during a good run and would be mostly gone afterward so I tried it and it worked. I am now trying to go even when I dont feel well and just take it easy, usually I end up getting into it and doing more than I thought I could and that is time day I feel my best. Of cours there is a point where you are just too sick etc

Also I made suggestion at my gym to have hand sanitizer stations put in which they did so now I wipe down equiptment but then I use hand sanitizer and I dont touch my face etc, I use a town to wipe sweat or cough into but not hands. I also use hand sanitizer on my gym water bottle etc and then my hands and keys as I am leaving. I too am a gym girl though I wouldnt mind having some equiptment at home for those days when there just isnt time.

mom2lillian

Laura brought up some good points, I also used to take time off if I was ill but right before I tried my first 5K I had a cold, nothing major and so I was going to cancle and a runner friend said he often had colds get 'burnt up' during a good run and would be mostly gone afterward so I tried it and it worked. I am now trying to go even when I dont feel well and just take it easy, usually I end up getting into it and doing more than I thought I could and that is time day I feel my best. Of cours there is a point where you are just too sick etc

Also I made suggestion at my gym to have hand sanitizer stations put in which they did so now I wipe down equiptment but then I use hand sanitizer and I dont touch my face etc, I use a town to wipe sweat or cough into but not hands. I also use hand sanitizer on my gym water bottle etc and then my hands and keys as I am leaving. I too am a gym girl though I wouldnt mind having some equiptment at home for those days when there just isnt time.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian