How to get school to do a 504 plan

hope0508

My step daughter's school has refused to implement a 504 plan. They said that she doesn't need it because she has fallen behind in school. She has missed 27 days since January. However, if she misses a test, quiz, etc they don't make her make it up. I know school is almost out and there is really nothing we can do for this year but does anyone have any suggestions for what we can do to get this done for next year. Parents have told my husband's ex wife that they just took their kids out and home schooled them. We have two other children so we can't afford to support two households and child support for two other children. Can anyone give me any advise on how to proceed?

hope0508

My step daughter's school has refused to implement a 504 plan. They said that she doesn't need it because she has fallen behind in school. She has missed 27 days since January. However, if she misses a test, quiz, etc they don't make her make it up. I know school is almost out and there is really nothing we can do for this year but does anyone have any suggestions for what we can do to get this done for next year. Parents have told my husband's ex wife that they just took their kids out and home schooled them. We have two other children so we can't afford to support two households and child support for two other children. Can anyone give me any advise on how to proceed?

hope0508

hope0508

hope0508

M

Mommafirst

If the school is out and out refusing to implement and follow a 504, that is a violation of the IDEA act (I think that is waht it is called). I haven't been through this but I think these are the things I'd do, providing you/she has already met with the appropriate school people and they are just not following through with her 504:

1. utilize the CF center social worker and ask her to get involved
2. most districts have parent advocates, you can usually ask to have one and they know their way around the district and their issues.
3. contact Beth Suffian. She is a lawyer with CF who is very knowledgeable in this area and can give you advice. I think she has a hotline number you can call. Search her name on the CFF.org site.

M

Mommafirst

If the school is out and out refusing to implement and follow a 504, that is a violation of the IDEA act (I think that is waht it is called). I haven't been through this but I think these are the things I'd do, providing you/she has already met with the appropriate school people and they are just not following through with her 504:

2. most districts have parent advocates, you can usually ask to have one and they know their way around the district and their issues.
3. contact Beth Suffian. She is a lawyer with CF who is very knowledgeable in this area and can give you advice. I think she has a hotline number you can call. Search her name on the CFF.org site.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />1. utilize the CF center social worker and ask her to get involved
<br />2. most districts have parent advocates, you can usually ask to have one and they know their way around the district and their issues.
<br />3. contact Beth Suffian. She is a lawyer with CF who is very knowledgeable in this area and can give you advice. I think she has a hotline number you can call. Search her name on the CFF.org site.

CFHockeyMom

Schools tend to be like that. Not sure why as the 504 doesn't actually cost them anything but it took us a while to get Sean's going as well.

Legally, they cannot deny you a 504. When you speak to the principal remind him/her of that. If they are still unwilling to help out, contact the state department of education. Typically each district or county (depending on the state) has a health care advocate that they can appoint to you. The advocate will make sure the school follows your wishes.

CFHockeyMom

Schools tend to be like that. Not sure why as the 504 doesn't actually cost them anything but it took us a while to get Sean's going as well.

Legally, they cannot deny you a 504. When you speak to the principal remind him/her of that. If they are still unwilling to help out, contact the state department of education. Typically each district or county (depending on the state) has a health care advocate that they can appoint to you. The advocate will make sure the school follows your wishes.

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

<br />
<br />Legally, they cannot deny you a 504. When you speak to the principal remind him/her of that. If they are still unwilling to help out, contact the state department of education. Typically each district or county (depending on the state) has a health care advocate that they can appoint to you. The advocate will make sure the school follows your wishes.

C

Cherylwithone

My daughter has a 504 plan. You really need to stand up to them. Our school in Town was great about helping out. She gets a tutor to help with any missed work etc. You might want to mention they could lose state funding by not following the rules. CF is a disability and under the Disability act they are held accountable. Do get the social worker to help out. We got all the notes form her doctors and we set up a meeting. Go to your state web site and look under education. There should be something there to help you out. Tell them you won't take no for an answer. I also think (not sure) that they have to put the reason why not in writing and they only have 30 days to answer.

Good luck!

Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf

C

Cherylwithone

My daughter has a 504 plan. You really need to stand up to them. Our school in Town was great about helping out. She gets a tutor to help with any missed work etc. You might want to mention they could lose state funding by not following the rules. CF is a disability and under the Disability act they are held accountable. Do get the social worker to help out. We got all the notes form her doctors and we set up a meeting. Go to your state web site and look under education. There should be something there to help you out. Tell them you won't take no for an answer. I also think (not sure) that they have to put the reason why not in writing and they only have 30 days to answer.

Good luck!

C

Cherylwithone

Good luck!

C

Cherylwithone

Good luck!

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf