Humidifier in CF child's bedroom

acesspade

I am wondering what everyone thinks about having a humidifier in your children's rooms. I think it helps my kids, but my ex-wife says that Dr's say they aren't good for a CF patient. The humidifier that we have is suppose to not develop mold or mildew, so I don't think it will hurt them as long as we keep it clean.

acesspade

I am wondering what everyone thinks about having a humidifier in your children's rooms. I think it helps my kids, but my ex-wife says that Dr's say they aren't good for a CF patient. The humidifier that we have is suppose to not develop mold or mildew, so I don't think it will hurt them as long as we keep it clean.

acesspade

acesspade

acesspade

fourkidsmom

I have also heard they are not good for a cf patient. I used to use them all the time before we had a child with CF and one day I asked the doctor and they suggested not using. I am thinking it is more about the mist that is in the air that the child is breathing. I hope you get some more responses, I am curious what others do.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

I have also heard they are not good for a cf patient. I used to use them all the time before we had a child with CF and one day I asked the doctor and they suggested not using. I am thinking it is more about the mist that is in the air that the child is breathing. I hope you get some more responses, I am curious what others do.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

grassisgreener

I think there are 2 big concerns:

- the level of humidity in the air (too much can create a nice place for bacteria to grow).

- the cleanliness of the humidifier tank (so bacteria can't grow).

We use a whole house humidifier which has a fresh water source (rather than a tank which can allow for bacterial growth) and we keep it at level that is considered "safe" when it comes to bacterial growth. We live in the midwest so it gets very dry, the humidifier has really helped with sinus trouble over the past 3 years.

Hope this helps!

ETA: Also, I don't hesitate to use the vaporizer (warm or cold, but cold is our favorite) in my cfer's room during a bad cold either bc it really seems to help. I just keep it very clean and don't run it for more than a few days at a time.

grassisgreener

- the level of humidity in the air (too much can create a nice place for bacteria to grow).

We use a whole house humidifier which has a fresh water source (rather than a tank which can allow for bacterial growth) and we keep it at level that is considered "safe" when it comes to bacterial growth. We live in the midwest so it gets very dry, the humidifier has really helped with sinus trouble over the past 3 years.

Hope this helps!

ETA: Also, I don't hesitate to use the vaporizer (warm or cold, but cold is our favorite) in my cfer's room during a bad cold either bc it really seems to help. I just keep it very clean and don't run it for more than a few days at a time.

grassisgreener

Hope this helps!

grassisgreener

Hope this helps!

grassisgreener

Hope this helps!

Alyssa

I too have often wondered about this but shied away from the idea because I was thinking they are probably a breeding ground for bacteria and mold.

I know in the 60's and 70's they used to do the "mist tents" for kids with CF -- a practice they finally abandoned when they realized it was contributing to more lung infections and bacteria. So I don't know if they are not recommending a humidifier because of that or if there is evidence that the moist air (even if it doesn't contain bacteria) is not good for a person with CF.

We have a clinic appointment on the 18th -- if I can remember I'll ask them.... It has been on my mind too because we recently moved from the Seattle area (where getting extra humidity in the winter was never a concern) but here in ND the winter seems very dry and with running the heater, the inside humidity was only 19% the other day -- my skin is starting to feeling very dry.

Alyssa

I too have often wondered about this but shied away from the idea because I was thinking they are probably a breeding ground for bacteria and mold.

I know in the 60's and 70's they used to do the "mist tents" for kids with CF -- a practice they finally abandoned when they realized it was contributing to more lung infections and bacteria. So I don't know if they are not recommending a humidifier because of that or if there is evidence that the moist air (even if it doesn't contain bacteria) is not good for a person with CF.

We have a clinic appointment on the 18th -- if I can remember I'll ask them.... It has been on my mind too because we recently moved from the Seattle area (where getting extra humidity in the winter was never a concern) but here in ND the winter seems very dry and with running the heater, the inside humidity was only 19% the other day -- my skin is starting to feeling very dry.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa