Humidity

hope333

Hello,

I read somewhere (not sure where!) that humidity below 50% is best for CF'ers. Is that true? Is that why my daughter (at age 20) had a terrible time with uncontrollable coughing while we were in Mexico for a week? Does the severity of the CF have a bearing on whether or not humidity affects you? (she's ~40% lung function). We have had a particularly wet summer/fall in our area, and wonder if we should be using a dehumidifier all the time. Amber says it makes no difference in the way she feels. I think she sleeps better. Hard to tell. Any advice? thanks

hope333

Hello,

I read somewhere (not sure where!) that humidity below 50% is best for CF'ers. Is that true? Is that why my daughter (at age 20) had a terrible time with uncontrollable coughing while we were in Mexico for a week? Does the severity of the CF have a bearing on whether or not humidity affects you? (she's ~40% lung function). We have had a particularly wet summer/fall in our area, and wonder if we should be using a dehumidifier all the time. Amber says it makes no difference in the way she feels. I think she sleeps better. Hard to tell. Any advice? thanks

hope333

Hello,

hope333

Hello,

hope333

Hello,
<br />
<br />I read somewhere (not sure where!) that humidity below 50% is best for CF'ers. Is that true? Is that why my daughter (at age 20) had a terrible time with uncontrollable coughing while we were in Mexico for a week? Does the severity of the CF have a bearing on whether or not humidity affects you? (she's ~40% lung function). We have had a particularly wet summer/fall in our area, and wonder if we should be using a dehumidifier all the time. Amber says it makes no difference in the way she feels. I think she sleeps better. Hard to tell. Any advice? thanks

Raynie

I live in Louisiana where it gets up to 100% humidity without raining. It doesn't affect me. Your daughter may have had an affect because she may not have been so used to the humidity of the South. When I travel to Baton Rouge or Colorado, the *CHANGE* in humidity may mess with me, but not the humidity itself, if that makes sense.

-Annie

Raynie

I live in Louisiana where it gets up to 100% humidity without raining. It doesn't affect me. Your daughter may have had an affect because she may not have been so used to the humidity of the South. When I travel to Baton Rouge or Colorado, the *CHANGE* in humidity may mess with me, but not the humidity itself, if that makes sense.

-Annie

Raynie

-Annie

Raynie

-Annie

Raynie

<br />
<br />-Annie

hope333

Thanks! So, you don't think the relative humidity matters? That makes me feel a bit better because we are driving ourselves crazy trying to keep the humidity in the house down but still enjoy fresh air.

I like your signature quote!

Nancy

hope333

Thanks! So, you don't think the relative humidity matters? That makes me feel a bit better because we are driving ourselves crazy trying to keep the humidity in the house down but still enjoy fresh air.

Nancy

hope333

Nancy

hope333

Nancy

hope333

<br />
<br />I like your signature quote!
<br />
<br />Nancy

JazzysMom

Nancy!

I think it varies so much from CFer to CFer that its hard to say for sure. In general ANYONE with respiratory issues normally would have more difficulties in humidity, but not all.

Its one of those things that you have to try. I live in NY & although I hate the wet spring, I couldnt imagine living in say, Arizona, where its to dry.

I have told you that I actually like the humidity, but again I am not doing tons in it. I am not working or running around etc.

JazzysMom

Nancy!

I think it varies so much from CFer to CFer that its hard to say for sure. In general ANYONE with respiratory issues normally would have more difficulties in humidity, but not all.

Its one of those things that you have to try. I live in NY & although I hate the wet spring, I couldnt imagine living in say, Arizona, where its to dry.

I have told you that I actually like the humidity, but again I am not doing tons in it. I am not working or running around etc.

JazzysMom

Nancy!

JazzysMom

Nancy!

JazzysMom

Nancy!
<br />
<br />I think it varies so much from CFer to CFer that its hard to say for sure. In general ANYONE with respiratory issues normally would have more difficulties in humidity, but not all.
<br />
<br />Its one of those things that you have to try. I live in NY & although I hate the wet spring, I couldnt imagine living in say, Arizona, where its to dry.
<br />
<br />I have told you that I actually like the humidity, but again I am not doing tons in it. I am not working or running around etc.
<br />
<br />