Hyper-tonic saline question

izemmom

Up to this point Emily has always done a half ampule of Hypertonic Saline (2mL) in the morning and half at night. She has also been doing a full ampule of Pulmozyme once a day. This seems to have been working. SHe's had sinus issues, but no real lung issues. She has never coughed stuff up, or even had a runny nose.

This past weekend I took the girls on an overnight trip to the Mall of America. We did pulmozyme before we left, and I took along two ampules of Saline. I figured since I wasn't doing Pulmo, I'd have her neb the full saline. We did that in the evening, and in the morning.

WOW! For the first time EVER Emily coughed up a TON of mucus. She coughed like crazy...in the car, all the way home for 6 hours! Luckily, my friend was driving, so I could be on "bag patrol." Poor kid, never coughed up anything in her life, and now she has to figure out how to do it in a car, strapped in a car seat, into a Rainforest Cafe bag.

I am confident that it was the doubled up Saline that caused it, and not an infection, because now the coughing is gone, and there has been no more mucus. I talked to our NP and she agrees.

So, here's my question (Finally!). If we're going to do the saline, I'd like it to do it's job, right? Shouldn't there always be some mucus coming up? I don't want her to cough as much or as hard as she did on the way home ALL THE TIME, but, I'd likeher to get stuff out.

Right now, we are trying a FULL amp of saline at night, and a full amp of pulmozyme in the morning, per the NP's suggestion. I'm not sure that the two should be separated, and I"m not sure that the saline is best effective at night...

I'm wondering what time others use each of these, but especially the saline. thanks for any input!

Oh, and MOA was GREAT!!

izemmom

Up to this point Emily has always done a half ampule of Hypertonic Saline (2mL) in the morning and half at night. She has also been doing a full ampule of Pulmozyme once a day. This seems to have been working. SHe's had sinus issues, but no real lung issues. She has never coughed stuff up, or even had a runny nose.

This past weekend I took the girls on an overnight trip to the Mall of America. We did pulmozyme before we left, and I took along two ampules of Saline. I figured since I wasn't doing Pulmo, I'd have her neb the full saline. We did that in the evening, and in the morning.

WOW! For the first time EVER Emily coughed up a TON of mucus. She coughed like crazy...in the car, all the way home for 6 hours! Luckily, my friend was driving, so I could be on "bag patrol." Poor kid, never coughed up anything in her life, and now she has to figure out how to do it in a car, strapped in a car seat, into a Rainforest Cafe bag.

I am confident that it was the doubled up Saline that caused it, and not an infection, because now the coughing is gone, and there has been no more mucus. I talked to our NP and she agrees.

So, here's my question (Finally!). If we're going to do the saline, I'd like it to do it's job, right? Shouldn't there always be some mucus coming up? I don't want her to cough as much or as hard as she did on the way home ALL THE TIME, but, I'd likeher to get stuff out.

Right now, we are trying a FULL amp of saline at night, and a full amp of pulmozyme in the morning, per the NP's suggestion. I'm not sure that the two should be separated, and I"m not sure that the saline is best effective at night...

I'm wondering what time others use each of these, but especially the saline. thanks for any input!

Oh, and MOA was GREAT!!

izemmom

Oh, and MOA was GREAT!!

izemmom

Oh, and MOA was GREAT!!

izemmom

<br />
<br />This past weekend I took the girls on an overnight trip to the Mall of America. We did pulmozyme before we left, and I took along two ampules of Saline. I figured since I wasn't doing Pulmo, I'd have her neb the full saline. We did that in the evening, and in the morning.
<br />
<br />WOW! For the first time EVER Emily coughed up a TON of mucus. She coughed like crazy...in the car, all the way home for 6 hours! Luckily, my friend was driving, so I could be on "bag patrol." Poor kid, never coughed up anything in her life, and now she has to figure out how to do it in a car, strapped in a car seat, into a Rainforest Cafe bag.
<br />
<br />I am confident that it was the doubled up Saline that caused it, and not an infection, because now the coughing is gone, and there has been no more mucus. I talked to our NP and she agrees.
<br />
<br />So, here's my question (Finally!). If we're going to do the saline, I'd like it to do it's job, right? Shouldn't there always be some mucus coming up? I don't want her to cough as much or as hard as she did on the way home ALL THE TIME, but, I'd likeher to get stuff out.
<br />
<br />Right now, we are trying a FULL amp of saline at night, and a full amp of pulmozyme in the morning, per the NP's suggestion. I'm not sure that the two should be separated, and I"m not sure that the saline is best effective at night...
<br />
<br />I'm wondering what time others use each of these, but especially the saline. thanks for any input!
<br />
<br />Oh, and MOA was GREAT!!

ColbysMom

My son is 11 months old and we do the Hypertonic Saline 2x a day. He gets the full dose each time. I have noticed a huge difference with this and he only coughs when he seems to have mucus. He does this also while the vest is on him. I do not know much at all about the Polmozyme as our clinic won't start kids on it until they are 6, unless they often get infections or are very mucusy. It looks like she is only 2, I am surprised they already have her on Polmozyme. Does that seem to be working well for her?

ColbysMom

My son is 11 months old and we do the Hypertonic Saline 2x a day. He gets the full dose each time. I have noticed a huge difference with this and he only coughs when he seems to have mucus. He does this also while the vest is on him. I do not know much at all about the Polmozyme as our clinic won't start kids on it until they are 6, unless they often get infections or are very mucusy. It looks like she is only 2, I am surprised they already have her on Polmozyme. Does that seem to be working well for her?

ColbysMom

ColbysMom

ColbysMom

M

Mommafirst

Hey Tami -- I don't know about the saline because Alyssa isn't on it....just the pulmozyme. I'm curious if you asked to put her on it or if it was your doctor's recommendation?? Alyssa went on pulmozyme at my recommendation at 2, then we pulled her off of it for awhile (it was a stupid move, we were convinced it wasn't doing anything, but we didn't realize she had the best 9 months of her life on it) and now she is back on for good.

I hope you get some good advice.
(((HUGS)))

Heather

M

Mommafirst

Hey Tami -- I don't know about the saline because Alyssa isn't on it....just the pulmozyme. I'm curious if you asked to put her on it or if it was your doctor's recommendation?? Alyssa went on pulmozyme at my recommendation at 2, then we pulled her off of it for awhile (it was a stupid move, we were convinced it wasn't doing anything, but we didn't realize she had the best 9 months of her life on it) and now she is back on for good.

(((HUGS)))

Heather

M

Mommafirst

(((HUGS)))

Heather

M

Mommafirst

(((HUGS)))

Heather

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I hope you get some good advice.
<br />(((HUGS)))
<br />
<br />Heather

ashmomo

My daughter is 4 and has been on Pulmozyme since she was about 2. They started her on it for preventative?? She has never had any lung issues or mucous issues. My infant though is 3 mos old and on the sodium chloride...soon to switch to the saline 2x a day mixed with something else they will be sending me, have not received yet. We do morning and night. In the morning she gets Albuterol right before the 3% and at night she gets Albuterol, then the 3%, then pulmozyme. My infant is on all 3 nebs.
Sounds like if she coughs with it she should not do it right before bed since she will be going to sleep and not getting the time to cough up anything. Could you just do them both in the morning?

ashmomo

My daughter is 4 and has been on Pulmozyme since she was about 2. They started her on it for preventative?? She has never had any lung issues or mucous issues. My infant though is 3 mos old and on the sodium chloride...soon to switch to the saline 2x a day mixed with something else they will be sending me, have not received yet. We do morning and night. In the morning she gets Albuterol right before the 3% and at night she gets Albuterol, then the 3%, then pulmozyme. My infant is on all 3 nebs.
Sounds like if she coughs with it she should not do it right before bed since she will be going to sleep and not getting the time to cough up anything. Could you just do them both in the morning?

ashmomo

ashmomo

ashmomo

<br />Sounds like if she coughs with it she should not do it right before bed since she will be going to sleep and not getting the time to cough up anything. Could you just do them both in the morning?