I know its been asked but maybe some new responses or experiences to share?

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ladybug</b></i>
What do you do when this happens? I know many people jump on antibiotics immediately (I'm resistant to all oral meds for this very reason as a child it was all I ever did for a cold) when they get a cold that turns into a productive cough.

I know the reasons one would choose to do this... i.e. reduce scarring and further lung damage, etc.... however, I'm curious what your reasons for NOT doing it would be?

</end quote></div>

If it is viral, the virii can be killed without drugs by addressing ph balance and taking antivirals like vitamin a, vitamin e, olive leaf extract and tonic water. Virii don't thrive in an alkaline environment. Getting acidity under control has helped make me more resistent to catching colds. I generally get a cold under control within 12 hours these days.

If it's allergies (or even if it isn't), cleaning stuff might help. When I first moved in with relatives during my divorce, my mom was on antibiotics. They weren't doing the trick and she changed antibiotics at least twice. After I began washing all of the throw rugs in her house (and she has tons of them), she finally started getting better. She believes she finally got the right antibiotic. Maybe. But, funny, everyone else in the house also had a cough and sniffles and they cleared up too at the same time, without antibiotics. (Of course, I highly recommend using non-toxic cleaning methods so the chemicals don't make you sicker.)

Reasons why I no longer reach for drugs as my first answer: Drugs never healed me. They helped me cope with a crisis, but they didn't heal me. Nutrition and lifestyle changes are healing me. Study after study after study says that diet and lifestyle are big factors in all serious medical issues, from heart disease to cancer to diabetes. For the most part, doctors don't really address that. Add in drug side effects and I am convinced that all the drugs we take are part of the problem.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

What do you do when this happens? I know many people jump on antibiotics immediately (I'm resistant to all oral meds for this very reason as a child it was all I ever did for a cold) when they get a cold that turns into a productive cough.

I know the reasons one would choose to do this... i.e. reduce scarring and further lung damage, etc.... however, I'm curious what your reasons for NOT doing it would be?

</end quote></div>

If it is viral, the virii can be killed without drugs by addressing ph balance and taking antivirals like vitamin a, vitamin e, olive leaf extract and tonic water. Virii don't thrive in an alkaline environment. Getting acidity under control has helped make me more resistent to catching colds. I generally get a cold under control within 12 hours these days.

If it's allergies (or even if it isn't), cleaning stuff might help. When I first moved in with relatives during my divorce, my mom was on antibiotics. They weren't doing the trick and she changed antibiotics at least twice. After I began washing all of the throw rugs in her house (and she has tons of them), she finally started getting better. She believes she finally got the right antibiotic. Maybe. But, funny, everyone else in the house also had a cough and sniffles and they cleared up too at the same time, without antibiotics. (Of course, I highly recommend using non-toxic cleaning methods so the chemicals don't make you sicker.)

Reasons why I no longer reach for drugs as my first answer: Drugs never healed me. They helped me cope with a crisis, but they didn't heal me. Nutrition and lifestyle changes are healing me. Study after study after study says that diet and lifestyle are big factors in all serious medical issues, from heart disease to cancer to diabetes. For the most part, doctors don't really address that. Add in drug side effects and I am convinced that all the drugs we take are part of the problem.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

</end quote></div>

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

</end quote>

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />What do you do when this happens? I know many people jump on antibiotics immediately (I'm resistant to all oral meds for this very reason as a child it was all I ever did for a cold) when they get a cold that turns into a productive cough.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I know the reasons one would choose to do this... i.e. reduce scarring and further lung damage, etc.... however, I'm curious what your reasons for NOT doing it would be?
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />If it is viral, the virii can be killed without drugs by addressing ph balance and taking antivirals like vitamin a, vitamin e, olive leaf extract and tonic water. Virii don't thrive in an alkaline environment. Getting acidity under control has helped make me more resistent to catching colds. I generally get a cold under control within 12 hours these days.
<br />
<br />If it's allergies (or even if it isn't), cleaning stuff might help. When I first moved in with relatives during my divorce, my mom was on antibiotics. They weren't doing the trick and she changed antibiotics at least twice. After I began washing all of the throw rugs in her house (and she has tons of them), she finally started getting better. She believes she finally got the right antibiotic. Maybe. But, funny, everyone else in the house also had a cough and sniffles and they cleared up too at the same time, without antibiotics. (Of course, I highly recommend using non-toxic cleaning methods so the chemicals don't make you sicker.)
<br />
<br />Reasons why I no longer reach for drugs as my first answer: Drugs never healed me. They helped me cope with a crisis, but they didn't heal me. Nutrition and lifestyle changes are healing me. Study after study after study says that diet and lifestyle are big factors in all serious medical issues, from heart disease to cancer to diabetes. For the most part, doctors don't really address that. Add in drug side effects and I am convinced that all the drugs we take are part of the problem.
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.
<br />

Chilemom

my short experience in cf tells me that when my daughter start a cold a rinse her nose three times a day (maybe to much) then i call the phisiotherapist and he do his job better than my cpt, and i don´t know for sure but i believe better than the vest, and thats help a loooootttt.
A good nutrition help our inmune system, and a old receipe here is to drink all day lemon juice with honey, better if it is hot.
but my short experience in cf also tell me that its time to call the doctor.

Chilemom

my short experience in cf tells me that when my daughter start a cold a rinse her nose three times a day (maybe to much) then i call the phisiotherapist and he do his job better than my cpt, and i don´t know for sure but i believe better than the vest, and thats help a loooootttt.
A good nutrition help our inmune system, and a old receipe here is to drink all day lemon juice with honey, better if it is hot.

Chilemom

Chilemom

Chilemom

<br />A good nutrition help our inmune system, and a old receipe here is to drink all day lemon juice with honey, better if it is hot.
<br />but my short experience in cf also tell me that its time to call the doctor.

Melissa75

Administrator
I find that Ibuprofen can mask the chills and body aches that signal infected congestion for me. If I were you, I would hold the advil for 8 hours and if I felt those things, I would start antibiotics. If not, then I'd hold off. In my case (bronchiectasis only and still responsive to oral abs), I wait until I have the run-over feeling even if I am rumbly because I have been known (pretty rarely, I admit) to overcome increases in rumbly on my own. I have been left-side gurgling for a week now, but my energy level is the same, so I am waiting too. The fact that it is raining today has made it worse too :-(

Melissa75

Administrator
I find that Ibuprofen can mask the chills and body aches that signal infected congestion for me. If I were you, I would hold the advil for 8 hours and if I felt those things, I would start antibiotics. If not, then I'd hold off. In my case (bronchiectasis only and still responsive to oral abs), I wait until I have the run-over feeling even if I am rumbly because I have been known (pretty rarely, I admit) to overcome increases in rumbly on my own. I have been left-side gurgling for a week now, but my energy level is the same, so I am waiting too. The fact that it is raining today has made it worse too :-(

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />

ladybug

Thanks, everyone!

These are great responses and ideas... I've never been one to do sinus rinses, but know I've got a ton of "drip" stuff going on down my throat. I can feel it and am blowing my nose all the time... I've gone through 2 boxes of kleenex in one week! I was happy the sinus stuff was moving, but perhaps it is a bigger part of the problem cause it IS moving.

So, the rumbly isn't new to many on here with allergies and post nasal drip? Thats really interesting.... And its also interesting that today when I woke up the rumbly is down to a minimum unless I do huffing. Hmmmmm.....

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses and giving me some different things to think about besides immediately going on abx. I've never been one to do this since I did just that every single time I got a cold as a child and now am completely resistant to every single oral there is since I was a child. I know the doc was always the one to tell my parents to put me on abx at the first sign of a cold, but I often wonder if I could have avoided some of that and allowed my body to heal itself, what that would have done. Maybe its different when you're a child?

Anyway, thanks... If anyone has any other experience with this rumbly, please let me know. I'm still here and reading! LOL.

And, today I'm going to head to the gym and try to jog like usual, so I'll keep everyone posted how that goes.

Thanks again,

ladybug

Thanks, everyone!

These are great responses and ideas... I've never been one to do sinus rinses, but know I've got a ton of "drip" stuff going on down my throat. I can feel it and am blowing my nose all the time... I've gone through 2 boxes of kleenex in one week! I was happy the sinus stuff was moving, but perhaps it is a bigger part of the problem cause it IS moving.

So, the rumbly isn't new to many on here with allergies and post nasal drip? Thats really interesting.... And its also interesting that today when I woke up the rumbly is down to a minimum unless I do huffing. Hmmmmm.....

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses and giving me some different things to think about besides immediately going on abx. I've never been one to do this since I did just that every single time I got a cold as a child and now am completely resistant to every single oral there is since I was a child. I know the doc was always the one to tell my parents to put me on abx at the first sign of a cold, but I often wonder if I could have avoided some of that and allowed my body to heal itself, what that would have done. Maybe its different when you're a child?

Anyway, thanks... If anyone has any other experience with this rumbly, please let me know. I'm still here and reading! LOL.

And, today I'm going to head to the gym and try to jog like usual, so I'll keep everyone posted how that goes.

Thanks again,

ladybug

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks again,

ladybug

Thanks, everyone!

Thanks again,

ladybug

Thanks, everyone!
<br />
<br />These are great responses and ideas... I've never been one to do sinus rinses, but know I've got a ton of "drip" stuff going on down my throat. I can feel it and am blowing my nose all the time... I've gone through 2 boxes of kleenex in one week! I was happy the sinus stuff was moving, but perhaps it is a bigger part of the problem cause it IS moving.
<br />
<br />So, the rumbly isn't new to many on here with allergies and post nasal drip? Thats really interesting.... And its also interesting that today when I woke up the rumbly is down to a minimum unless I do huffing. Hmmmmm.....
<br />
<br />Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses and giving me some different things to think about besides immediately going on abx. I've never been one to do this since I did just that every single time I got a cold as a child and now am completely resistant to every single oral there is since I was a child. I know the doc was always the one to tell my parents to put me on abx at the first sign of a cold, but I often wonder if I could have avoided some of that and allowed my body to heal itself, what that would have done. Maybe its different when you're a child?
<br />
<br />Anyway, thanks... If anyone has any other experience with this rumbly, please let me know. I'm still here and reading! LOL.
<br />
<br />And, today I'm going to head to the gym and try to jog like usual, so I'll keep everyone posted how that goes.
<br />
<br />Thanks again,