I thought 30 was normal?!

meaniejean

My son just had a sweat test on Wednesday and they called me yesterday to say that they need to do a retest because his test result was 30. The GI who ordered the test consulted with the pulm doc and she is the one who said to do the retest but that they weren't really all that concerned about the results.

He doesn't really have a lot of symptoms - just pale, greasy stool and constipation (though this is likely due to fructose restriction since he has fructose malabsorption). He recently had a chest x-ray and saw maybe some RAD or bronchiolitis. He has a history of chronic abdominal pain. Part of me thinks a retest is a waste of time and that all of these tests are stressing him out. Our youngest son was tested last year - his was 22, but wasn't a sufficient sample - though his records state otherwise - I was there. This is a CF center lab too.

What would you all do? I really don't think CF is likely.

Thanks!

meaniejean

My son just had a sweat test on Wednesday and they called me yesterday to say that they need to do a retest because his test result was 30. The GI who ordered the test consulted with the pulm doc and she is the one who said to do the retest but that they weren't really all that concerned about the results.

He doesn't really have a lot of symptoms - just pale, greasy stool and constipation (though this is likely due to fructose restriction since he has fructose malabsorption). He recently had a chest x-ray and saw maybe some RAD or bronchiolitis. He has a history of chronic abdominal pain. Part of me thinks a retest is a waste of time and that all of these tests are stressing him out. Our youngest son was tested last year - his was 22, but wasn't a sufficient sample - though his records state otherwise - I was there. This is a CF center lab too.

Thanks!

meaniejean

Thanks!

meaniejean

Thanks!

meaniejean

<br />
<br />He doesn't really have a lot of symptoms - just pale, greasy stool and constipation (though this is likely due to fructose restriction since he has fructose malabsorption). He recently had a chest x-ray and saw maybe some RAD or bronchiolitis. He has a history of chronic abdominal pain. Part of me thinks a retest is a waste of time and that all of these tests are stressing him out. Our youngest son was tested last year - his was 22, but wasn't a sufficient sample - though his records state otherwise - I was there. This is a CF center lab too.
<br />
<br />What would you all do? I really don't think CF is likely.
<br />
<br />Thanks!

JazzysMom

There is a chance its not CF, but just in your brief descriptioin there is a good chance it is as well.

Sadly sweat tests are not as reliable as once thought. We have quite a few members that had borderling or normal sweat tests, but when genetic testing was done it found mutations......

Given your childs history I would not only incourage another sweat test, but push for genetic testing also. You are better off finding out now before any extensive damage is done!

I know its a hard pill to swallow!

HUG, Good Luck & Let us know!!!

JazzysMom

There is a chance its not CF, but just in your brief descriptioin there is a good chance it is as well.

Sadly sweat tests are not as reliable as once thought. We have quite a few members that had borderling or normal sweat tests, but when genetic testing was done it found mutations......

Given your childs history I would not only incourage another sweat test, but push for genetic testing also. You are better off finding out now before any extensive damage is done!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Sadly sweat tests are not as reliable as once thought. We have quite a few members that had borderling or normal sweat tests, but when genetic testing was done it found mutations......
<br />
<br />Given your childs history I would not only incourage another sweat test, but push for genetic testing also. You are better off finding out now before any extensive damage is done!
<br />
<br />I know its a hard pill to swallow!
<br />
<br />HUG, Good Luck & Let us know!!!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While you're awaiting test results, is your doctor at least treating some of the symptoms. In terms of loose greasy stools have they done a fecal fat test to determine if he may need digestive enzymes. As far as the respiratory issues are they addressing any of that.

Ditto on the genetic testing.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While you're awaiting test results, is your doctor at least treating some of the symptoms. In terms of loose greasy stools have they done a fecal fat test to determine if he may need digestive enzymes. As far as the respiratory issues are they addressing any of that.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Ditto on the genetic testing.

meaniejean

They haven't done a fecal fat test yet on either of the boys. Not to be completely disgusting, but they both have stool resembling butter. They tested for leukocytes, parasites, reducing substances and blood - only the blood was positive. Is the buttery stool typical for fat malabsorption?

During a recent ER visit due to lethargy, cough and fever, he had a chest X-ray because they thought he might have pneumonia. That is when they mentioned the RAD or bronchiolitis. He had 'croup', a persistent cough and sinus infection last year, but so far this year he has been doing well, so we really haven't had much worry about his respiratory system.

meaniejean

They haven't done a fecal fat test yet on either of the boys. Not to be completely disgusting, but they both have stool resembling butter. They tested for leukocytes, parasites, reducing substances and blood - only the blood was positive. Is the buttery stool typical for fat malabsorption?

During a recent ER visit due to lethargy, cough and fever, he had a chest X-ray because they thought he might have pneumonia. That is when they mentioned the RAD or bronchiolitis. He had 'croup', a persistent cough and sinus infection last year, but so far this year he has been doing well, so we really haven't had much worry about his respiratory system.

meaniejean

meaniejean

meaniejean

<br />
<br />During a recent ER visit due to lethargy, cough and fever, he had a chest X-ray because they thought he might have pneumonia. That is when they mentioned the RAD or bronchiolitis. He had 'croup', a persistent cough and sinus infection last year, but so far this year he has been doing well, so we really haven't had much worry about his respiratory system.