I'm Scared

ik

Hi everyone out there...I just turned 24, and am afraid I may have cystic fibrosis. I have been having oily stools for the past year, and constant mucus in the back of my throat for 15 months now. My doctors think I'm crazy for even mentioning it, but here on the internet I read that it can be diagnosed later in life. I have always been a normal weight, athletic, and have had no serious lung problems in the past. I don't know anyone in my family that has had the disease.

I can barely sleep because I am so scared....any thoughts?

ik

Hi everyone out there...I just turned 24, and am afraid I may have cystic fibrosis. I have been having oily stools for the past year, and constant mucus in the back of my throat for 15 months now. My doctors think I'm crazy for even mentioning it, but here on the internet I read that it can be diagnosed later in life. I have always been a normal weight, athletic, and have had no serious lung problems in the past. I don't know anyone in my family that has had the disease.

ik

ik

ik

<br />
<br />I can barely sleep because I am so scared....any thoughts?

Alyssa

Yes, it is possible for a late diagnosis, but I wouldn't get too worried just yet (get some sleep) :)

Are you also loosing weight since you've had the oily stools?

If your doctor does not agree to pursue some form of CF testing (sweat test, genetic test, or fecal testing) you should see a different doctor - keep asking until someone orders a test for you.

Besides CF, other possibilities for the mucus in the throat could be allergies and the stool problems could also be a symptom of ciliac disease or crones disease or food allergies.

Best of luck! Keep us updated.

Alyssa

Yes, it is possible for a late diagnosis, but I wouldn't get too worried just yet (get some sleep) :)

If your doctor does not agree to pursue some form of CF testing (sweat test, genetic test, or fecal testing) you should see a different doctor - keep asking until someone orders a test for you.

Besides CF, other possibilities for the mucus in the throat could be allergies and the stool problems could also be a symptom of ciliac disease or crones disease or food allergies.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />Are you also loosing weight since you've had the oily stools?
<br />
<br />If your doctor does not agree to pursue some form of CF testing (sweat test, genetic test, or fecal testing) you should see a different doctor - keep asking until someone orders a test for you.
<br />
<br />Besides CF, other possibilities for the mucus in the throat could be allergies and the stool problems could also be a symptom of ciliac disease or crones disease or food allergies.
<br />
<br />Best of luck! Keep us updated.